Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of shipping my motorcycle to where I work overseas so I have a couple questions:

1. Will my extended warranty I purchased from the dealer be valid internationally? (Expires 2022)
2. Does anyone in this forum have personal experience shipping their motorcycle internationally?
a. what are some things I need to take into consideration?
3. Do I need to build a crate for my bike or does the shipping company?

·
Senior member / gold
6,989 Posts
I used to have old, restored Soviet military motorcycle and sidecars shipped by container loads from Kyiv, Ukraine to South Florida. My partner over there would crate each motorcycle, and fill the container with them.
Contact an International freight forwarder. They can give you specific instructions, and do all the paperwork for you. Keep in mind that emissions in Europe are different than here, so they might not allow a U.S. bike to be imported there. It also might be cost prohibitive. It would probably be cheaper and less aggravation to buy a used bike, or a U.S. spec bike new over there, and then ship it home, or sell it there.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Vintage will be sold when I stop contracting. (Probably when I die) The import tax is only 5% here so the big cost will be shipping. I'm still waiting for my estimates.Planning to buy another for use back home.

Reactions: Chief Signguru

·
Senior member / gold
6,989 Posts
Hello.
Contact Stefan Knopf in Heidelberg (Germany) He does shipping,mostly BMW,s,but he wil give you more information
about shipping.
Google knopftours.com
Thanks.
Chris.
I'd be curious to know how the prices have changed since my involvement in the import/export of motorcycles. Inquiring minds need to know. Lol!

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll let you know once I start receiving quotes. Should have 4 coming in the next few days.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I am currently stationed in Germany, and I was able to get warranty work done at the closest dealer.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I've only received 1 quote currently for just under $3000.00. Still waiting for the others. Doakheg, I sent a message to the shipping company he used (A to Z imports) and am awaiting their reply.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks like the cost will be roughly $4000.00 to $5000.00. This includes collecting my bike from it's current location to the shipper, crate, shipping, insurance and import taxes. One company offered air freight cost of $3000.00 plus collecting my bike, insurance and import tax.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I wonder if you took off the wheels and the engine and shipped it in two crates as "motorcycle parts" if it would be cheaper. I used to ship bike parts internationally on eba y and it was no big deal. Just another form to fill out. Never tried to ship enough parts for a whole one though.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All plans are on hold as I may be transferring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts