Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am unhappy about some things on my 2018 Scout: No fuel gauge. No fork lock. Very small fuel tank. ***** A '50 mile' seat that ANYONE can steal in 5 seconds (Absolutely stupid design) Oops, there goes your $500+ Mustang, Corbin or Ultimate seat!! A front suspension that is so soft it's useless on anything but smooth roads. Jury is out on the rear suspension since it isn't so bad and can be adjusted firmer.

I was smitten with the little scoot when I first saw it and the road I tested it on was super smooth and I knew nothing about any of the bad designs mentioned above when I bought it--My bad.

The Dealer will take it back in and give me exactly what I paid for it on a 2019 Darkhorse--stripper and I would get $750 Veterans credit on accessories---a Windscreen and if I don't pay cash difference, they have 3.9% for 36 months so it is easily doable but I'm still dubious of Indians problems as mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

Opinions solicited and appreciated:)

Sam

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,948 Posts
It's all about what makes you happy. If you can't get past what you see as shortcomings with the scout, I say go for it. I had my scout for four years before my roadmaster. Everything you listed, I dont disagree with, but can be overcome.

Small tank? Gas gauge? Sure. But a break every 100 miles is good thing anyway.

Suspension? Yes, there was some improvement needed. After I upgraded the shocks and springs and got Michelin commanders, it was perfect.

Seat? Haven't heard of any getting stolen, but I suppose it's possible. I'm sure theres a way to secure it with cables or some added security feature. Never had an issue with my mustang getting jacked.

Fork lock? You can get the parts online, or go for some other security option like disk locks, etc. Fork locks are easily defeated anyway.

Not sure if any of your gripes will be cured with the dark horse, but if that's a route that will make you happy, do it. Better a bike that meets your wants and needs a bit more than regretting a purchase because of little things that bug you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I went the same route although I did not have as many issues. Mostly sore butt. After a month I went to the Dark Horse and can not be happier. Taken thousand plus mile rides with no comfort issues. And it has a fuel gauge!

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
Sounds like the dealer is being very generous and can remedy virtually every complaint you have about your Scout, right? And you’ll find no shortage of very happy Darkhorse owners here. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree that you have to ride what makes you happy. If going to a different bike is what it takes, and the dealer's going to take care of you, it makes sense.

That said, I agree with the below article about fork locks. My "other bike" has one, and frankly it's useless as a theft prevention tool.

The most useless part on a motorcycle - RevZilla

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why wouldn’t you trade it in if you’re not happy with it??? It’s a vehicle that’s primary purpose is recreation, if it’s not what you want then take it back for what you do want.

·
Silver member
3,868 Posts
I am unhappy about some things on my 2018 Scout: No fuel gauge. No fork lock. Very small fuel tank. ***** A '50 mile' seat that ANYONE can steal in 5 seconds (Absolutely stupid design) Oops, there goes your $500+ Mustang, Corbin or Ultimate seat!! A front suspension that is so soft it's useless on anything but smooth roads. Jury is out on the rear suspension since it isn't so bad and can be adjusted firmer.

I was smitten with the little scoot when I first saw it and the road I tested it on was super smooth and I knew nothing about any of the bad designs mentioned above when I bought it--My bad.

The Dealer will take it back in and give me exactly what I paid for it on a 2019 Darkhorse--stripper and I would get $750 Veterans credit on accessories---a Windscreen and if I don't pay cash difference, they have 3.9% for 36 months so it is easily doable but I'm still dubious of Indians problems as mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

Sam
As others have said, getting what you paid for it is a very good offer, thumbs up to the dealer.

I believe the the 2019 111s have the new/better style pistons, plus the improved valve springs and seats. If I were in your position I'd go for it, if you want a Darkhorse. Me??.... I'd ask Mr. dealer about the same deal on a Springfield or Vintage :) Either or, good luck with your decision.

The problems.... I think mechanically the Indian is solid. Most issues seem to be electrical and or other minor glitches, that seem to get resolved pretty easily. I'm somewhat concerned about dealer network, or lack there of. But it didn't stop me from buying my Vintage and I'll be buying another Indian when the right bike and deal comes along.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Folks, I really appreciate your thoughts!

I looked at a brand new 2018 Springfield today and all I can say is WOW :)

I was quoted a little over $19,000 out the door so the price looks good to me!

Decisions-decisions:)

Sam

·
Registered
8,004 Posts

Sam
I get your frustrations but did you not do ANY research before purchasing?

Your going to take a huge hit.

·
Registered
597 Posts
It's your bike. Ride what you like. The things you list though really should have been apparent before buying. The tank didn't get smaller. Gas gauge, really, I don't even understand that, but OK. Ride comfort, yeah, that's almost every bike. Especially if you are not average size.

But really though, if you're not happy, you should find what does make you happy. Hopefully the dealer will work with you so you don't get hosed on trade it. Good luck.

·
Silver member
3,868 Posts
Thanks Folks, I really appreciate your thoughts!

I looked at a brand new 2018 Springfield today and all I can say is WOW :)

I was quoted a little over $19,000 out the door so the price looks good to me!

Decisions-decisions:)

Sam
I'd seriously consider a '19 due to the improvements I mentioned in my previous thread... jus' say'n.

I said WOW the 1st time I saw my ex wife.... think about that! LOL

1 - 20 of 101 Posts