Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 RM that had in my opinion heat issue.
I removed the cat,stage 2, etc.

My question is
how hot does the challenger get? Is it tolerable?
this will be my last bike purchas and DO NOT want the same expenses trying to lower the heat coming Off the bike

·
Rider
448 Posts
I don't feel any heat coming off mine. I've ridden it for two and three hours at a time with no heat issues.

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
No heat from mine, but we aren't at summer temps so the real test hasn't started

Reactions: rusty

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,797 Posts
I think between the liquid cooling and the rear cylinder deactivation while stopped the Challenger shouldn't have any problems with excessive heat reaching the rider. The catalytic converter has been relocated underneath the swing arm behind the pivot which should help a lot. What remaining heat there would be left would be from the rear head pipe and from the radiator cooling fan while at a stop. I don't know how much of a deal those are yet.

·
Rider
841 Posts
I rode mine one day and it was 86 F. , the bike was surprisingly warm, but I think I noticed it because I had been riding in cooler temps. I also had a Capt. Itch on my Chieftain and that kept a ton of heat off. If they make a CC for the Challenger, I'll get one.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
I would wait for warm temps in your area and see how you perceive the heat. That extra time will also give Indian time to work out any first run bugs and perform tweaks.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
  • No excessive heat here. My typical day ride is between 200 and 300 miles. Weather has been between 40-78 degrees. Bike runs at 182 degrees 90% of the time. My TS111 runs noticeably hotter and I have no CAT. Both are no problem compared to my last 2 HD's. On my HD's I kept getting close to adding Luv Jugs.

·
Bronze member
2,539 Posts
I doubt you’ll know anything about the Challenger’s heat until summer temps hit. My RM‘s heat didn’t become an issue until my first summer riding season, but I live in South Georgia where it’s brutal during that season.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I had a 2018 KTM 1290SAR and it fried my legs and my ass in 50 degree weather with a full exhaust. No cat, and water cooling. I sold it with 1600 miles on it. Now that sucks! So water cooling alone doesn't make it work. The Challenger radiator fan is down low so the air it extracts is down below your boots. Very good design. Bad on a motocross track. Lol

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,797 Posts
I think that's why the Goldwings expel their radiator heat out the sides. That hot air being blown back by the cooling fan can be uncomfortably hot. I've had a few liquid cooled bikes and had hot air blown back on me at stops on hot days. My Scout does this but it's nowhere near as bad as some others I've had.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sitting idling I've gotten up to 208 and the fan kicks on. I did notice it. I haven't used the cylinder shut off yet. Definitely not unbearable, but weather is still 70s.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 15 RM that had in my opinion heat issue.
I removed the cat,stage 2, etc.

My question is
how hot does the challenger get? Is it tolerable?
this will be my last bike purchas and DO NOT want the same expenses trying to lower the heat coming Off the bike
Just a note on heat and my Chieftain.
Almost zero heat with 93 octane pure gas.
It gets hotter as the octane drops. Gas with ethanol runs hotter than pure gas.
Every octane booster I have tried also added heat.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You get the heat that is expected from a liquid cooled bike with a fan. When the temp of the bike is normal, around 182, you don't notice it. When you're in traffic or been sitting and the bike creeps into the 200's the fan will kick in and you'll feel "warm" air. It's not terrible or unbearable, just noticeable. And I'm in FL and have had it out in "summer" temps as it's always summer here. 2 weeks ago it was 89 degrees and I was running around on it.
So far I find the heat in traffic much more tolerable than I did on the Road Glide.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just a note on heat and my Chieftain.
Almost zero heat with 93 octane pure gas.
It gets hotter as the octane drops. Gas with ethanol runs hotter than pure gas.
Every octane booster I have tried also added heat.
I didn't realize we could run leaded gas in a TS111.

·
Bronze member
1,458 Posts
I didn't realize we could run leaded gas in a TS111.
You can't run leaded fuel in ANY vehicle with a catalytic converter....that is a BAD combination. Without the CAT, that' a different story...but I suspect the lead won't be good for your probes/sensors in your header pipe.

·
Registered
163 Posts
When Cadillac said “pure gas” I’m pretty sure he meant no ethanol in the gas. Don’t think you can even get leaded gas anymore

1 - 20 of 24 Posts