Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would be nice for a bike larger than Scout, smaller than Classic-650# bike or so.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Older I get the more I appreciate a bike light enough to jerk into the next lane and powerful enough to get the hell out of the way. Scout's about right for now.

·
Founding member
1,757 Posts
Yeah, like a Spirit or a Warrior with somewhere between 900 & 1200 CCs.
I think the Scout has that displacement range covered with the 69 ci (1130 CCs) and 60 ci (983 CCs) engines. It seems like there is a big gap between the 69 ci Scout and the TS111 (1819 CCs). I would think that would put the Spirit or Warrior somewhere around 85-97 CI (1400 to 1600 CCs). Then the questions would be liquid or air cooling? Stick with V Twin or try something different? V angle?

Personally, I know a lot of folks here are clamoring for an Indian 4, but they are probably thinking make it look like the old ones, mount it longways on the frame, but there is a reason no modern bike uses that set up. The closest would be the Triumph Rocket III. I can't see an Indian version with an extra cylinder do anything but cannibalize Chief sales, and probably not very many. What might be interesting, though, is if the modern Indian 4 were a V-4, allowing for classic good looks with phenomenal power. Also very different market than the Chief, if anything they might be stepping on Victory's toes.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
One friend has observed that the Scout engine could easily power a bike that is bigger than the Scout. I agree, and suspect that something with the same or similar power but just a bit more physical presence, without becoming too big and heavy, could win over more customers.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,882 Posts
I rode a Scout for one year and loved it. Now I am riding a Springfield and to me it covers the need for several bikes. I can dress it up or down depending on the ride. However, I would like to have and Indian 4 in any configuration. I hope they make one in the next few years.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What might be interesting, though, is if the modern Indian 4 were a V-4, allowing for classic good looks with phenomenal power. Also very different market than the Chief, if anything they might be stepping on Victory's toes.
I suspect a water-cooled V-4 of around 140 horsepower in a bike splitting the difference in size between Scout and Chief (I look like a bear on a mini-bike when astride a Scout) would sell like hotcakes.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Could always workout and get some bulk, also can hang upside down by your ankles, or go up in space and gain a inch or two, for me, too late for all the above, gonna have to stick with my Springfield, and, ring that bell before I take off to keep then conniving gremlins away from us. :eek: ( but yeah, is kinda on the heavy side for this pleasntly plump short fella ) :p

·
Bronze member
2,924 Posts
Had my crotch rocket riding son help push my vintage onto the lift,dam that's heavy,he said
"Wanna ride it?"
" Hell no"
Lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts