Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying the 2020 Scout any feedback would be appreciated. How does it perform, reliability, handling and quirks/problems with this series?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,101 Posts
I have a 2019 Scout ABS Icon that I bought back in September. The bike as stock wasn't comfortable for me as I'm 5 foot eleven and 220 pounds. I went with extended reach foot control and floorboards and the stock seat was badly uncomfortable so I went with a Corbin Solo seat. The stock handlebars bent me down and forwards so I had the 10 inch mini apes installed. Comfort-wise this set-up works great for me. I also am spoiled to have a good windshield and was unimpressed with forum revues of the Indian accessories one for the Scout. I went with a National Cycle 2-up Switchblade and couldn't be happier. I can see over the top easily and no buffeting, just a little breeze comes around it. I also went with the rear fender luggage rack and the Indian accessories saddlebags. For exhaust I went with TAB longs with the 1.75 inch diameter baffles. They are on the loud side but not terribly loud. just right for me. The bike has been solid, reliable and a lot of fun to ride.
74532310_1306932826132955_1145003981504774144_n.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may need to have the bike modified a bit as well. I am 5'4" and weigh 120 lbs so although I am comfortable with my foot position on the ground I would like to see if they have a shifter with a shorter arm to make it easier to shift as well as bringing the bars back a bit more. It seems to be a consistent complaint that the stock seats on bikes are not the best but I probably will try it for a while then replace it in all likelihood. I tried searching the windshield and a few of the links states it does not fit on the 2020 Indian........if you have a link that would be helpful.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I may need to have the bike modified a bit as well. I am 5'4" and weigh 120 lbs so although I am comfortable with my foot position on the ground I would like to see if they have a shifter with a shorter arm to make it easier to shift as well as bringing the bars back a bit more. It seems to be a consistent complaint that the stock seats on bikes are not the best but I probably will try it for a while then replace it in all likelihood. I tried searching the windshield and a few of the links states it does not fit on the 2020 Indian........if you have a link that would be helpful.
Indian makes a lil bat wing fairning fir the scout its pretty shallow but there are aftermarket ones what are deeep enough to install a radio and some 6.5s

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,101 Posts
I ordered that windshield directly from National Cycle. Part Numbers are as follows: N21109 (2-Up Quick Release Windshield), KIT-Q344-001 (SwitchBlade Quick Release Mount Kit, Straight Forks; Chrome) Total cost for both was $541.30 Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Scout Jade Green and Thunder Black
145 Posts
I’m a new rider on a 2020 Indian Scout ABS and couldn’t be happier. Well, I would be happier if the process to check the oil wasn’t so ungainly. I’m 5’10” 185 (probably 195 tomorrow after Super Bowl Sunday sodium). (Darn nachos)
The bike is very comfortable, no seat issues for me. It handles very well for me the low COG feels near featherlight at a stop light or a parking lot. She runs like a squirrel on the backroads, and has excellent braking and plenty of power for passing on the highway. I haven’t spent a lot of time exploring the upper reaches of the throttle much because I’m new to a lot of this but I suspect there’s enough to get you in trouble if you’re injudicious. Buffeting is noticeable over 55 Mph or in a crosswind. Just installed the Indian fairing is anticipation of longer trips and awaiting warmer weather to try it out. https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/shop/accessories/fairings/quick-release-fairing-ef6fb10d/
Reliability? Runs like a top Fires up first time every time, but mine lives on the Indian battery maintainer between rides. I hit occasional false neutrals at first but they are few and far between. (Suspect it’s was a loose nut on the seat!)
If your reasonably sensible the Scout is a great first bike for a new rider and I don’t see myself outgrowing it anytime soon. She can definitely run with the big boys.
The big drawback is that whenever I make a pit stop for gas, (which everyone tells you is about every 120 miles or so) and to make my bladder gladder, I have to fight my way back through a crowd of onlookers to get to my bike. (Darn groupies!) Feels like I’m dating a Supermodel.

·
Registered
2017 Scout Icon, ABS
10 Posts
I am a new rider (5'7", 130 lbs) and I love my 2017 Scout ABS. Whatever nerves I had went away as soon as I was out of the driveway. It's responsive without being uncontrollable, does well in the lower gears, but can get up an run when you want it to. I love it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts