Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Indian Chief, "Adeline"
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been thinking about getting a mid-sized trunk for my Chief...something that holds enough (handheld air compressor, tire plug kit, essential tools, maybe a few convenience odds and ends, etc), but nothing like the one from the post quoted below. The two I'm currently considering are the black Biltwell EXFIL-80 and the Kuryakyn 5284 Momentum bag. Does anyone have opinions on these two, or have other suggestions for something similar?

View attachment 627462 View attachment 627463 View attachment 627464
Saw the 03 Gilroy Chief for sale and couldn’t believe this trunk!!! The bike has to feel that on the back!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have not used any Biltwell products, but I have several of the Kuryakyn Momentum series bags and have no complaints about them. Both of the bags you linked seem to be much larger than you need, based on your described manifest. Consider a smaller roll bag. The Rambler would hold what you have listed, plus room for a light jacket and snacks. The larger Drifter is 2/3 the size of the Road Warrior, with enough room for foul weather clothing and can store your helmet at stops. In a pinch, it should be roomy enough to accommodate a weekend trip for two (if prudently packed). Lastly, if aesthetics matter, the lower profile of a roll bag seems to fit the lines of the bike better.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not used any Biltwell products, but I have several of the Kuryakyn Momentum series bags and have no complaints about them. Both of the bags you linked seem to be much larger than you need, based on your described manifest. Consider a smaller roll bag. The Rambler would hold what you have listed, plus room for a light jacket and snacks. The larger Drifter is 2/3 the size of the Road Warrior, with enough room for foul weather clothing and can store your helmet at stops. In a pinch, it should be roomy enough to accommodate a weekend trip for two (if prudently packed). Lastly, if aesthetics matter, the lower profile of a roll bag seems to fit the lines of the bike better.
Thanks for the insights. I was having a hard time gauging "real size" from the photos of the bigger Momentum bag. Also, I agree with you re: the lines of the bag. I've ordered the Rambler, and may later add the Drifter for when we want to pack a bit more on a day ride, or something.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Oh crap! I worry when people actually listen to any of my advice. I do hope the bag works out for you. After you've had it a while let me know.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do, and will post a pic, too. I have most of my "roadkit+" ordered, too. My superstition is that if I'm ready to fix most things on the side of the road, those aren't the things I'll have trouble with, lol!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I see you already order the trunk. I ordered a leather trunk from a company called boss bags and the workmanship was excellent. They also make them in different sizes as well as tan or black.

This one is their largest size. They make two sizes smaller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Will do, and will post a pic, too. I have most of my "roadkit+" ordered, too. My superstition is that if I'm ready to fix most things on the side of the road, those aren't the things I'll have trouble with, lol!
So, now that you've had some road time with that bag, I'm curious to hear your opinion.

·
Bronze member
3,484 Posts
The trunk I bought for my luggage rack which is the same as yours, is also leather,bought from "Leather UP ,com" and is also mounted on my luggage rack just like yours is,only my trunk is alittle taller, alittle wider, a little longer,and has side pockets [but nothing Goddy] but still fits pretty good on the rack.Now I can carry more junk in it. :rolleyes: If I remember right [it was almost four years ago when I bought it] it was under 100 bucks.But I don't know if there are any pictures of my bike on here so you can see what it looks like on the bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts