Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Chieftain limited 2,386 miles bought in April. Bike is bone stock. Got the break in oil change done at 490 miles at the dealer. Since then, I’ve had to add just shy of 2 quarts. That’s 2 quarts in 1900 miles. Oil also seems very thin when I check it, is very dirty and smells heavily of gas. Took it back to the dealer, they refused to even look at it. They said this engine burns a ton of oil and that it’s normal. Since that trip, I’ve started having starting issues. Plenty of umph from the starter, it’s like it’s not getting enough fuel. Sometimes it’s worse than other times, sometimes it doesn’t do it at all.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Who the heck is that dealer?
These engines do not burn oil unless there is something very wrong happening with your rings. Your engine has not had time for a complete break-in, but I would insist on knowing what the 500-mile compression test showed.
None of my Indians have ever burned any noticeable amount of oil.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
2019 Chieftain limited 2,386 miles bought in April. Bike is bone stock. Got the break in oil change done at 490 miles at the dealer. Since then, I’ve had to add just shy of 2 quarts. That’s 2 quarts in 1900 miles. Oil also seems very thin when I check it, is very dirty and smells heavily of gas. Took it back to the dealer, they refused to even look at it. They said this engine burns a ton of oil and that it’s normal. Since that trip, I’ve started having starting issues. Plenty of umph from the starter, it’s like it’s not getting enough fuel. Sometimes it’s worse than other times, sometimes it doesn’t do it at all.

Indians don't burn oil, and most don't know how to check the oil properly and almost always overfill it. It must be checked on a hot engine perfectly straight not on a side stand.
The engine uses a semi-dry sump system and must be checked hot and level. The oil should NEVER be filled to the full mark on the dipstick.

Many have found the hard way about improperly checking the oil, and have drained 7 + quarts out of their bikes because they overfilled it.

If the dealer said these bikes burn tons of oil, then stop going to them, they are either extremely incompetent or are lying to you to get rid of you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Indians don't burn oil, and most don't know how to check the oil properly and almost always overfill it. It must be checked on a hot engine perfectly straight not on a side stand.
The engine uses a semi-dry sump system and must be checked hot and level. The oil should NEVER be filled to the full mark on the dipstick.

Many have found the hard way about improperly checking the oil, and have drained 7 + quarts out of their bikes because they overfilled it.

If the dealer said these bikes burn tons of oil, then stop going to them, they are either extremely incompetent or are lying to you to get rid of you.
I always check it after a ride and always with it standing up. Today it was about 1/2 inch below the add line. 3/4 of a quart brought it to about midway between full and add.
I didn’t really buy what the dealership said about burning oil. Engine is too modern of a design for that.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
bike will burn a small amt during break in period. after that hell no.
an even checking after a ride when oil is hot should be showing slightly above fill line .
i would also sending a email to polaris.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Your dealer is a fool and an idiot

·
Bronze member
1,603 Posts
Post the name of your dealer. By not disclosing that, you are defeating the purpose of this forum by not bring important information to the masses. If this dealer is doing this, we need to know it and you should begin a ticket with Indian customer service.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
3,860 Posts
I'd drain the oil and pull the filter. Measure how much oil comes out..... prolly more than 5.5 quarts drains out. Then add 5.5 qts. of fresh oil with new filter. Ride bike for a thou or so, then check the oil level. If you check the oil per the manual and the oil level on the stick is "in the ball park" yer good to go. As others have mentioned, burning/using oil seems to be about non existent with the 111s.

Any smoke when you start the bike, or when you're riding said bike? If not, it's not likely that your burning any oil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Post the name of your dealer. By not disclosing that, you are defeating the purpose of this forum by not bring important information to the masses. If this dealer is doing this, we need to know it and you should begin a ticket with Indian customer service.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Its Indian of Des Moines. Also called Fenders Cycles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd drain the oil and pull the filter. Measure how much oil comes out..... prolly more than 5.5 quarts drains out. Then add 5.5 qts. of fresh oil with new filter. Ride bike for a thou or so, then check the oil level. If you check the oil per the manual and the oil level on the stick is "in the ball park" yer good to go. As others have mentioned, burning/using oil seems to be about non existent with the 111s.

Any smoke when you start the bike, or when you're riding said bike? If not, it's not likely that your burning any oil.
I’ve had a couple guys I ride with say they see smoke when I get on it

·
Registered
71 Posts
I attempted to trade my immaculate ‘15 Ultra Classic with Fender and McGrath in CR. I bought my RM at Mason City Powersports, and couldn’t be happier. The other two didn’t even act like wanted to sell a bike. I won’t set foot in the other two places.

·
Silver member
3,860 Posts
I’ve had a couple guys I ride with say they see smoke when I get on it

That could be but I'd change the oil anyways and go from there, and measure how much drains out, but that's just me. Also if it were me, I'd follow the advice from Baron58 (post no. 15) and check the air filter for oil intrusion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its Indian of Des Moines. Also called Fenders Cycle

Nuff said right there. I live in Des Moines. Went to Dillion Bros in Omaha. When I was looking to buy a RM, went to fenders. Wouldn't even acknowledge I was in the showroom. Too busy in a circle jerk at the parts counter.
If you want someone who can give you an honest answer, go to Runway which is part of The Vic Shop in DeSoto. They are right off of I-80 north side of interstate. Red building. Rylan knows his stuff.

·
Bronze member
2,268 Posts
My 16 RM, with stage 2 cams, has over 30k miles and has never burned any oil. Its so reliable oil-wise, I don't even check the level between oil changes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts