Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote here a while back that my thermometer was defective, reading about 4-6 C (7 - 10 F) too high. It was replaced on warranty. The new one reads about 2 C (4 F) too high. Small thing but it drives me nuts. Has anyone swapped out theirs on their own? Hard job? Expensive?

thanks

Len

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
If you mean the digital temperature readout for ambient temp, they all read a little high because the sensor is inside the fairing.

Reactions: Baron58

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
My 2019 RM reads 8-10 degrees high at all times, even in the garage overnight. So I do not believe it is the location that causes it. Going to see if I can get it replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2019 RM reads 8-10 degrees high at all times, even in the garage overnight. So I do not believe it is the location that causes it. Going to see if I can get it replaced under warranty.
Yeah, that's the deal with mine, too. Check the car which sits right beside it in the garage - 28C. The bike 30C. Not much but enough to piss me off.

Reactions: ThumperW

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe you can check on whether it's a difficult job. I don't even know how to find it but I bet it's probably plug-n-play. Would be great to know the cost, too.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Yes, I will report back what I find out. Will probably be a couple of weeks, but I am sure there are many of us with this same issue.

Glenn

·
Registered
455 Posts
Wifes reads 7 high on Chieftain, mine 4 or so on a Roadmaster. My 19 Chief seems to be about right, maybe an updated part? or possibly just where it's located.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you mean the digital temperature readout for ambient temp, they all read a little high because the sensor is inside the fairing.
Yep. My mum used to call it a thermometer but I guess today we should be saying something like electronic ambient temperature sensing device - or similar. o_O

Reactions: Lord Bard Prime

·
Registered
904 Posts
My 19 rm reads 8-10 high on hot days. Seems to read cool/cold temps okay.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
As a follow up, I finally brought mine in to the dealer and the tech showed me actual email correspondence about my issue with Polaris. Polaris said that it is a known problem and the unit cannot be adjusted. They also said that sometimes the replacement is as inaccurate (or more so) than the one replaced. At any rate, they deemed it a warranty issue and just had it replaced last week. Luckily the new one is within about 2 degrees F, which is plenty close enough for me. For anyone who has a similar problem, get your bike in if still under warranty.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As a follow up, I finally brought mine in to the dealer and the tech showed me actual email correspondence about my issue with Polaris. Polaris said that it is a known problem and the unit cannot be adjusted. They also said that sometimes the replacement is as inaccurate (or more so) than the one replaced. At any rate, they deemed it a warranty issue and just had it replaced last week. Luckily the new one is within about 2 degrees F, which is plenty close enough for me. For anyone who has a similar problem, get your bike in if still under warranty.
My first one was about 4-6 C off. They replaced it and the new one is about 2 C off. I can live with that but I love weather devices and I would want this one to be as accurate as possible. I am hoping that relocating it might make a difference. Now that I know where it lives, I might be persuaded to replace it at my cost eventually (since I can do it myself).

·
Registered
904 Posts
Now there’s some good news.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well I'm not gonna go taking the fairing off just for that haha mine does the same. Reads high. I noticed in the summer it was reading warmer than it was. And it's still a few degrees warmer still now in the winter riding. I really don't know how if it sits out all night in 26 degrees it won't say 26 degrees. I wouldn't think the fairing can keep that little space warmer than what's outside of it sitting outside for 12 hours. At any rate, not a big deal for me. But really as much as it's been said about other things, as much as you pay for one of these bikes, there is a high expectaction of it functioning properly.

·
Bronze member
1,499 Posts
Not to be an ass, but what's the big deal if it's off a few degrees? Does it change your riding plans? I get that it's on the bike and should work, but I look at it like the gas gauge - it's just a guideline.

Reactions: Moto_Max

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
You're right - it's certainly not the end of the world and it does not change my riding plans. On the other hand, if I pay $35k for a bike, I expect things to work properly.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Don't get me started on the gas gauge! lol It's a liar! hahaha

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No need to remove a fairing to do this - just two allen screws on the front bezel and you're there. As for precision I'm not up for using glasses that make things blurry, or hammers that only hammer 8 out of 10 nails, or rifles that fire 2 degrees to the left or a watch that doesn't tell time. You get the idea. For me, it's an electronic device that was designed to tell you the air temperature, and if it doesn't I don't mind investing a bit of effort to get it there.

Oh, and I just remembered that I reported on another thread that I had done some work on it. I installed the Kreuger windshield rattle kit and I came across the thermometer bulb just staring me in the face. Super simple thing to change if one is inclined. In my case, I felt the bulb maybe sucking up some heat from the wiring in the fairing so I moved it down just under the headlight where the air comes up from the fender. We'll see how that goes. If that doesn't work, I don't think I'll bother replacing it it even though it's a simple task. I'm done with it.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,808 Posts
It doesn't seem like it would be that big a deal for Polaris to give us a menu option to adjust the thing +/- 10º in increments of 1º. SMOP. Simple Matter Of Programming. Call it customer service if they need justification to put a rookie programmer to work.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It doesn't seem like it would be that big a deal for Polaris to give us a menu option to adjust the thing +/- 10º in increments of 1º. SMOP. Simple Matter Of Programming. Call it customer service if they need justification to put a rookie programmer to work.
I have been thinking exactly the same thing for a long time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts