Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 94 Posts
Here are some photo's of a bike Sammy "Harley Davidson made of tin, ride em out and push em in" Pierce attempted to market during the 1960's using WWII surplus Scouts. Good man, I met him also.

Well - I finally watched the movie. Bought the blu-ray off ebay; Fantastic movie IMO. I loved how he strapped the post to the trailer after the wheel fell off; Engineering at its best...lol
Yep! Rather than giving up and putting it away in the "too hard locker"; you make do with what you have at hand.
USMC engineering.

I agree! One of my favorite movies. Too bad Indian never hired him as an engineer.
By the time he was going for the speed record, hadn't Indian been out of business for more than a few years? Its been more than a few years since i watched the movie. Speed record set in early 60's?

By the time he was going for the speed record, hadn't Indian been out of business for more than a few years? Its been more than a few years since i watched the movie. Speed record set in early 60's?
1953, unless you count the 1954's Indian made from parts sourced from factory and dealerships for the contractual obligation they had with the NYPD

I love that movie, one of several motorcycle themed flicks that I pop into the DVD player occasionally. Isn't there a thread on here about that subject..."motorcycle movies"? I was curious about Burt's records at Bonneville, and found this interesting fact:
The current 'Open' record holder is Chris Carr, who achieved a speed of 350.884 m.p.h. Burt Munro holds the 850cc record (178.97) set in 1962, and the 950cc record (190.07) set in 1967. The rules have changed and the actual class he set his record in does not exist any more. It therefore cannot be beaten ever.

It's still streaming free on Tubi buts leaving soon. Saw it and am watching it again.
Good info!!! Thank you. I will definitely watch this movie. I also read this and now I'm looking for similar movies where Indiana motorcycles can be present. I really like the theme and it is very welcome when it is present in the film!

Part of my exit mantra is: Keys, Calls (phone), Cash (wallet), Spectacles, Testicles.
Partly as a nod to the movie, not sure if Burt actually said that or not. Great movie. My brother had a DVD in his camper, then he sold the camper and I guess the DVD went with it. Haven't seen it for a number of years now.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.