Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
729 Posts
Yeah, supply chain issues are affecting every industry to varying degrees. Try buying a mid grade mountain bike (like a cannondale, specialized or trek) right now, there's roughly a six month wait. I am not saying Indian/Polaris has the best parts availability normally, but they can hardly be blamed for the global supply chain issues going on right now.
It's not that industry does not have parts, they want us to pony up more money when they inform us that it is so hard to get these things and sorry, we have to increase the cost. I dropped my Polaris Ranger off at the dealer Monday and was told 4-6 wait for parts. Diesel here in Maine is creeping up 2-6 cents every 4 days. I went to Lowe's the other day after driving through two hours of the most extended wilderness in the Eastern United States filled with millions of trees, I had to dodge logging trucks everywhere and upon arrival I discovered a sheet of OSB 1/4 inch was $87.50. I believe I paid $12.00 a sheet last year. Central Maine Power announced a 10% increase in electrical service beginning next month. Like my dear old Yankee woodchopper Grandpa (Indian Motorcycle guy his entire life) used to day, "If you want to dance, ya got to pay the fiddler!" Smoke em if you got em!

·
Registered
18 Chieftain DH 116 “Big Medicine”
2 Posts
…Today was installing a new windshield and committed the sin of losing one of the five backing plates(nuts). It fell into the fairing. I have read I am not the only one to do this….
Sorry. Chieftain owner too and know I’m highly susceptible to do that very thing. Painters tape helped me. For sourcing that piece, CanAm has a similar nut but I’m not positive on size/thread etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here is a great video on why there are still shortages on about EVERYTHING!

The basic premise is that the world tried to copy Toyota's system, but instead of reading one of the literal books on how Toyota does JIT (Just In Time), they read the back cover and winged it from there!

I just am waiting for the aftermarket for 2022 Chief parts...

·
Administrator
17,236 Posts
For @Grayghost, glad this has a happy ending. For @JustinScout, thx for some excellent info — this is ‘zackly how the forum does good things. Nicely done.

Side bunny trail : interesting factoid re the delay in exhaust systems. Most are made from stainless steel. Guess what! Jeff Bezos has cornered the market on steel in the USA for his nationwide expansion of processing facilities this summer. Julie found this out from her co-workers in the oil and gas industry, cuz they can’t get steel parts, either (pipes, machinery, industrial parts) Bezos/ Amazon was smart — quietly cornered the market, paid upfront in cash, etc. They pretty much bought up the available supply, and tariffs are still on for most imported steel. So steel is in very short supply now. When you see those gargantuan new Amazon facilities popping up like dandelions this summer, you now know why Julie’s Rhinehart pipes still haven’t arrived.

·
Registered
2017 Indian Scout Sixty
477 Posts
For @Grayghost, glad this has a happy ending. For @JustinScout, thx for some excellent info — this is ‘zackly how the forum does good things. Nicely done.

Side bunny trail : interesting factoid re the delay in exhaust systems. Most are made from stainless steel. Guess what! Jeff Bezos has cornered the market on steel in the USA for his nationwide expansion of processing facilities this summer. Julie found this out from her co-workers in the oil and gas industry, cuz they can’t get steel parts, either (pipes, machinery, industrial parts) Bezos/ Amazon was smart — quietly cornered the market, paid upfront in cash, etc. They pretty much bought up the available supply, and tariffs are still on for most imported steel. So steel is in very short supply now. When you see those gargantuan new Amazon facilities popping up like dandelions this summer, you now know why Julie’s Rhinehart pipes still haven’t arrived.
We should all go kick Jeff Bezos' a$$ and take his steel so that Julie can get her pipes!!

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
What you describe is a current business model in several places and Covid could be blamed for part of the problem. That being said local dealers should stock a basic inventory of nuts, bolts and items commonly used by customers along with some accessories. I would hope the manufacturer would support that.
As a person with direct knowledge straight from the horse per say. Parts are ussually not and issue. There are some major supplier issues which is creating a shortage. As far as ordering for now it is better to find the part number on line and order as there are many suppliers that have the parts.
It's not that industry does not have parts,
I should have been more clear. When I mean parts I mean things like semiconductors, things that are not sitting around on a shelf. Parts that can only be made by a few factories or very specialized equipment.

·
Bronze Member
1,746 Posts
I should have been more clear. When I mean parts I mean things like semiconductors, things that are not sitting around on a shelf. Parts that can only be made by a few factories or very specialized equipment.
Ah, you mean components.

Stockpiling components can also be a risky manuever. The manufacturer can't foresee when a part will need to be redesigned with new components. (such as a mid-year board revision change) Thus, making the old components that they stocked up on obsolete. It's a delicate balance of stocking too many components vs. not enough components in an emergency situation.

·
Bronze member
3,167 Posts
It's not that industry does not have parts, they want us to pony up more money when they inform us that it is so hard to get these things and sorry, we have to increase the cost. I dropped my Polaris Ranger off at the dealer Monday and was told 4-6 wait for parts. Diesel here in Maine is creeping up 2-6 cents every 4 days. I went to Lowe's the other day after driving through two hours of the most extended wilderness in the Eastern United States filled with millions of trees, I had to dodge logging trucks everywhere and upon arrival I discovered a sheet of OSB 1/4 inch was $87.50. I believe I paid $12.00 a sheet last year. Central Maine Power announced a 10% increase in electrical service beginning next month. Like my dear old Yankee woodchopper Grandpa (Indian Motorcycle guy his entire life) used to day, "If you want to dance, ya got to pay the fiddler!" Smoke em if you got em! View attachment 641625
Can you say: "THANK YOU Mr. Biden"???

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
729 Posts
No. I cannot. I did send him a rather large donation in April for the pleasure of working. If you don't work, they send you checks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
"WHO" ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????
It is Saturday and my day off from work. The weather here in Wisconsin is gorgeous this morning. I'm getting ready to take off on my Challenger for a ride today. No specific destination in mind, but might head down towards Muskego and Metro-Milwaukee Indian.
As for what WHO stands for, it could be an acronym for the World Health Organization. I imagine there are other acronyms that have the capital letters of W H O in them. Also it could mean the English rock and roll band The Who, but that's just a guess.
Ride safe today.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,603 Posts
Seems like buzzwords and acronyms come and go. I normally don't pay too much attention or give a crap much about them.

·
Bronze member
3,167 Posts
I do believe that in the not too distant future,everyone is gonna find out just WHO really is and I don't think it's gonna be very pleasant.lol lol

61 - 80 of 91 Posts