Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Administrator
17,236 Posts
1- re aftermarket parts: Julie and I both bought our bikes in April. She is still waiting for her Rhineharts. I got my Freedoms a month just last month (but of course I cannot install em until Indian conclusively establishes what is causing my hot-weather malfunctions).

2- re Ride Command and iPods: I rode my 2015 for five years with an iPod ~~ zero problems. Hop on the bike, fire it up, and the tunes were always there. My 2021 “does not support” the iPod and the “replacement technology” does not work as well as what it replaced.

sigh….

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I can't, you already drank it all, obviously. :ROFLMAO:
A well thought out and executed response. Just as expected. Places that locked down have similar numbers to places that didn’t. Go play, kid.

Reactions: Dr.D

·
Registered
2021 Indian Scout Bobber Icon Edition Thunder Black Azure
62 Posts
A well thought out and executed response. Just as expected. Places that locked down have similar numbers to places that didn’t. Go play, kid.

Try again, without the personal jabs would be great.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

Try again, without the personal jabs would be great.

·
Registered
2021 Indian Scout Bobber Icon Edition Thunder Black Azure
62 Posts
Yup, California and Florida are similar, and I would expect that, both had serious shutdowns, California from the state, Florida from the local cities. This was mentioned right in the article you posted "In the absence of statewide orders, many of the largest cities in Florida and Missouri imposed their own mask requirements and business restrictions."

Take another swing?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yup, California and Florida are similar, and I would expect that, both had serious shutdowns, California from the state, Florida from the local cities. This was mentioned right in the article you posted "In the absence of statewide orders, many of the largest cities in Florida and Missouri imposed their own mask requirements and business restrictions."

Take another swing?
Both of you take it elsewhere, it does not belong in this thread!

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,670 Posts
1- re aftermarket parts: Julie and I both bought our bikes in April. She is still waiting for her Rhineharts. I got my Freedoms a month just last month (but of course I cannot install em until Indian conclusively establishes what is causing my hot-weather malfunctions).

2- re Ride Command and iPods: I rode my 2015 for five years with an iPod ~~ zero problems. Hop on the bike, fire it up, and the tunes were always there. My 2021 “does not support” the iPod and the “replacement technology” does not work as well as what it replaced.

sigh….
Hink do you have Apple CarPlay ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,236 Posts
Hink do you have Apple CarPlay ?
I do but on our bikes it doesn’t work without a headset ~~ and julie and I don’t use em. We’ve found that hand signals are simpler w less wind noise, which takes care of the comms, and I also prefer using the speakers rather than ear speakers.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Reactions: HINK

·
Registered
265 Posts
so someone explain this to me like i'm a baby. how are supply chains still interrupted by covid? the economy has been on an upturn for several months now, half the country is vaccinated and we've done away with mask mandates and social distancing for the most part, so are we just still in the wake of crap waiting for things to catch up? are companies still under-staffed? i remember when there were shipping delays a year ago with Amazon, but they managed to shore up those pretty fast even with quarantine still in effect. so if the largest distributor of everything got their stuff together a year ago, i just don't see how everyone else is still so far behind.

is there something else going on causing these delays and low inventory? Harley announced at the beginning of quarantine they were going to purposely limit supplies to dealership and reduce their entire offering to try to change the tide of their supply/demand scale. i never saw Indian announce the same, but wonder if this is what's really going on and Indian just trying to purposely make their bikes more exclusive.

·
Bronze member
1,250 Posts
Polaris sas turned into one huge joke for sure. AMF has better customer service
yup i have similar issue (replAcing chief stock windshield with oem 14" ) with my Chief 2015 , worn windshiled washers , shims and bolts nuts dont have a replacement number , just the mounting hardware has numbers. Good luck hope you find a way around it bud.

Reactions: TerryJ

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
so someone explain this to me like i'm a baby. how are supply chains still interrupted by covid? the economy has been on an upturn for several months now, half the country is vaccinated and we've done away with mask mandates and social distancing for the most part, so are we just still in the wake of crap waiting for things to catch up? are companies still under-staffed? i remember when there were shipping delays a year ago with Amazon, but they managed to shore up those pretty fast even with quarantine still in effect. so if the largest distributor of everything got their stuff together a year ago, i just don't see how everyone else is still so far behind.

is there something else going on causing these delays and low inventory? Harley announced at the beginning of quarantine they were going to purposely limit supplies to dealership and reduce their entire offering to try to change the tide of their supply/demand scale. i never saw Indian announce the same, but wonder if this is what's really going on and Indian just trying to purposely make their bikes more exclusive.
A lot of parts are made and shipped in a "just in time" model to save money. It means as soon as a component is made it is then shipped to the company that wants to put that part into something. There are no warehouses of parts laying around ready to get put into use because warehouse space costs money.

Enter the pandemic and things are a mess for a while. Many people have some extra cash that is now not being spent on eating out or on vacations or they get a stimulus check, they need to be home so they buy computers and motorcycles. Both items share common parts or parts at least made in the same factory. Because of how the manufacturer model works, the factory is designed to normally run at full or almost full capacity to make the most money. There is no surge capacity to handle peaks in demand, because there is so much demand people are now fighting for those parts. The second issue is the company making parts is also fighting with their suppliers for the same reasons so they have issues getting the materials they need to make the components which means they can't make all of the parts they want. The factory is now making less parts than they normally could.

Timing of the orders factor in. Normally, pre COVID, the factory would get an order in January from company A, and one from company B in February and so on. Currently orders from company A-Z are all coming in at the same time. Everyone ramped up to full speed about the same time.

In the semiconductor arena the PS5 and the new Xbox factor in, that is tying up a lot of capacity along with the bitcoin mining bubble which is taking a lot of hardware. All fabs are running at max capacity and a lot of these items are not things you can just turn on extra capacity, it can take years to bring more online and it costs billions, so unless you think the demand is going to be there for a very long time, it is a losing proposition to expand.

I see a recession coming in about two years. Everyone is going to have their new motorcycle, TV, computer, PS5 and so on, there will be a lul in spending. That means we will be awash in everything we are wanting now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
A lot of parts are made and shipped in a "just in time" model to save money. It means as soon as a component is made it is then shipped to the company that wants to put that part into something. There are no warehouses of parts laying around ready to get put into use because warehouse space costs money.

Enter the pandemic and things are a mess for a while. Many people have some extra cash that is now not being spent on eating out or on vacations or they get a stimulus check, they need to be home so they buy computers and motorcycles. Both items share common parts or parts at least made in the same factory. Because of how the manufacturer model works, the factory is designed to normally run at full or almost full capacity to make the most money. There is no surge capacity to handle peaks in demand, because there is so much demand people are now fighting for those parts. The second issue is the company making parts is also fighting with their suppliers for the same reasons so they have issues getting the materials they need to make the components which means they can't make all of the parts they want. The factory is now making less parts than they normally could.

Timing of the orders factor in. Normally, pre COVID, the factory would get an order in January from company A, and one from company B in February and so on. Currently orders from company A-Z are all coming in at the same time. Everyone ramped up to full speed about the same time.

In the semiconductor arena the PS5 and the new Xbox factor in, that is tying up a lot of capacity along with the bitcoin mining bubble which is taking a lot of hardware. All fabs are running at max capacity and a lot of these items are not things you can just turn on extra capacity, it can take years to bring more online and it costs billions, so unless you think the demand is going to be there for a very long time, it is a losing proposition to expand.

I see a recession coming in about two years. Everyone is going to have their new motorcycle, TV, computer, PS5 and so on, there will be a lul in spending. That means we will be awash in everything we are wanting now.
What you describe is a current business model in several places and Covid could be blamed for part of the problem. That being said local dealers should stock a basic inventory of nuts, bolts and items commonly used by customers along with some accessories. I would hope the manufacturer would support that. I do agree a recession is coming . In the current environment you can have one essential part break and not be able to ride for months. Meanwhile ride and enjoy life.

·
Registered
2018 Roadmaster
22 Posts
As a person with direct knowledge straight from the horse per say. Parts are ussually not and issue. There are some major supplier issues which is creating a shortage. As far as ordering for now it is better to find the part number on line and order as there are many suppliers that have the parts.
Fyi to most dont know the dealer can not order the small parts individually they order in packs sometimes hundred or so pieces so the parts are out there just not maybe at your dealer or at indian dealers.
Been ordering parts through Polaris and Indian for over 25 yrs.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,989 Posts
[/QUOTE]
You can thank some of the states for that also. Some states do an inventory tax if the part stays on the shelf for a certain duration of time. So many companies build to the short need because of tying up cash for a longer duration and then also getting taxed on having it on the shelf. Thus we as consumers............wait. Dean

·
Bronze member
2,045 Posts
For @Cameroni79 and @Flea77, I know it’s easy to get sidetracked, but let’s not go down that COVID bunny trail again…. I think we are all sick of it (no pun)
Good call hink. I can’t eat any more popcorn 🍿

Reactions: HINK

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,473 Posts
There was evidently a fire at a major chemical producer that had a serious impact on things as well. We've been waiting on new windows and the manufacturer said it wasn't one thing that caused the delays but a lot of little things added together. All of their suppliers have their own delays, they can't get drivers to move the stuff around, etc.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts