Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Chieftain. That being said my experience with the company and dealer has not be stellar. When I bought my bike I had already been watching Indian for a while. I had owned five Victorys and loved them after around twenty Harleys before that. I waited to see if Polaris would drop the ball with Indian like they did with Victory.
when I took delivery of my bike I was excited. I told my dealer I wanted to add highway bars front and rear and a set of driving lights. I was informed by the parts guy as the salesman could not talk about accessories that they had none of those in stock and the warehouse had none and no idea when they would? Months later the parts guy found me a set of front bars.
After my first 100 miles my power windshield stopped working. Had to wait a couple months before they could get me the parts to fix that.
Have taken my bike in twice because the IPod will not play through the speakers even though the command recognizes it. Finally told they can’t fix it and was told to contact customer service by phone.
Today was installing a new windshield and committed the sin of losing one of the five backing plates(nuts). It fell into the fairing. I have read I am not the only one to do this. I called my dealer and after a while the parts guy advised they had none in stock. He then checked with Polaris and was advised they had none in stock and none available in the foreseeable future.
If dealers have no parts and the factory has nothing, do they intend on supporting these fine machines? I am not ready to jump back to H-D but do not know how much more they think customers will put up with.
If anyone has a source for one of those windshield backing plates I would appreciate it. Ride safe.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,989 Posts
I love my Chieftain. That being said my experience with the company and dealer has not be stellar. When I bought my bike I had already been watching Indian for a while. I had owned five Victorys and loved them after around twenty Harleys before that. I waited to see if Polaris would drop the ball with Indian like they did with Victory.
when I took delivery of my bike I was excited. I told my dealer I wanted to add highway bars front and rear and a set of driving lights. I was informed by the parts guy as the salesman could not talk about accessories that they had none of those in stock and the warehouse had none and no idea when they would? Months later the parts guy found me a set of front bars.
After my first 100 miles my power windshield stopped working. Had to wait a couple months before they could get me the parts to fix that.
Have taken my bike in twice because the IPod will not play through the speakers even though the command recognizes it. Finally told they can’t fix it and was told to contact customer service by phone.
Today was installing a new windshield and committed the sin of losing one of the five backing plates(nuts). It fell into the fairing. I have read I am not the only one to do this. I called my dealer and after a while the parts guy advised they had none in stock. He then checked with Polaris and was advised they had none in stock and none available in the foreseeable future.
If dealers have no parts and the factory has nothing, do they intend on supporting these fine machines? I am not ready to jump back to H-D but do not know how much more they think customers will put up with.
If anyone has a source for one of those windshield backing plates I would appreciate it. Ride safe.
Parts during the pandemic have gone from bad to worse. Same thing with delivering some of the new models. Did not used to be this way and I do think things will improve with time. As for the windshield but removing the fairing is not that difficult of a job. Take your time and make sure you get all the fasteners removed and you should be able to find the one you dropped. Dean

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Parts during the pandemic have gone from bad to worse. Same thing with delivering some of the new models. Did not used to be this way and I do think things will improve with time. As for the windshield but removing the fairing is not that difficult of a job. Take your time and make sure you get all the fasteners removed and you should be able to find the one you dropped. Dean
Thanks Dean

·
Founding member
1,765 Posts
I think I have guessed LOL
Yeah, supply chain issues are affecting every industry to varying degrees. Try buying a mid grade mountain bike (like a cannondale, specialized or trek) right now, there's roughly a six month wait. I am not saying Indian/Polaris has the best parts availability normally, but they can hardly be blamed for the global supply chain issues going on right now.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I think I have guessed LOL
I think they’re all trying hard. Polaris is doing what they can. We all got snookered in to shutting down the world, now we just have to snooker everyone in to going back to work!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Can confirm!

6 months for a fuel pump on 03 fatboy, 8+months on a break line…still waiting.

a bolt should not be that back ordered but who knows!
Yeah. It sucks but it’ll all get better.

·
Registered
2017 Indian Scout Sixty
477 Posts
Do you know if the part number is 7547386 for that Backing Plate?

·
Silver member
3,481 Posts
I’ve deer waiting on the wiring harness for the rear speakers and mufflers for a month now. I hope I can get tires when I need them.

·
Registered
2017 Indian Scout Sixty
477 Posts

Do you need part #4? It is a 6mm T-Nut (Qty of 5 total). This diagram is for a 2019 Chieftain.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Polaris sas turned into one huge joke for sure. AMF has better customer service

1 - 20 of 91 Posts