Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed some HD hard lowers on my DH and I really like them. Why? Cause thats what we do. Make our bikes our own with all types of mods and cool things. Right? Right!
The only thing is that the lights hit the upper part of the lowers loosing me about a half inch of turn ability. I needed to do a slight adjustment no problem.
So, i have been having so much trouble with my bike stalling out and it has been in and out of the dealers. They cant figure out what it is.
So, The driver came to pick up my bike again and I said "hey man, the lights hit the lowers so be careful with u turning" I told him to let them know. He had no trouble making a u turn in the middle of my street just like I did. Easy.
I get a call from the service manager telling me he broke my lower making a u turn cause (quote) I put those after market pieces of shit on my bike" and he is not responsible for replacing it cause he almost dropped the bike test riding it.
How would you guys handle this? I kept my cool the whole time with him and he doesn't know I'm pissed. I figured I will let it soak for a while and see if my attitude improves on this matter.
Thanks a lot in advance for your input.
Have an awesome weekend.

·
Founding Member
1,922 Posts
Really tough call. A service guy is not going to expect any restriction going from lock to lock on a bike they are servicing. Obviously the pick up guy did not pass on your information. Maybe ask him to quiz the pick up guy about your instructions that were to be passed on, if he sees it was caused by his people’s lack of following thru, he may be more favorable to picking up the tab. Good luck!

·
Bronze member
1,953 Posts
I wonder, can they deny work on customized motorcycles?
Accessorized would be another matter, no doubt.

I know of a VW+foreign car place that wouldn’t touch a non-stock one, and another place that did customizations.

·
Rider
1,423 Posts
So I installed some HD hard lowers on my DH and I really like them. Why? Cause thats what we do. Make our bikes our own with all types of mods and cool things. Right? Right!
The only thing is that the lights hit the upper part of the lowers loosing me about a half inch of turn ability. I needed to do a slight adjustment no problem.
So, i have been having so much trouble with my bike stalling out and it has been in and out of the dealers. They cant figure out what it is.
So, The driver came to pick up my bike again and I said "hey man, the lights hit the lowers so be careful with u turning" I told him to let them know. He had no trouble making a u turn in the middle of my street just like I did. Easy.
I get a call from the service manager telling me he broke my lower making a u turn cause (quote) I put those after market pieces of shit on my bike" and he is not responsible for replacing it cause he almost dropped the bike test riding it.
How would you guys handle this? I kept my cool the whole time with him and he doesn't know I'm pissed. I figured I will let it soak for a while and see if my attitude improves on this matter.
Thanks a lot in advance for your input.
Have an awesome weekend.
wtf

·
Silver member
4,632 Posts
Key phase "He broke my lower"....he now owns it. He should have assessed his riding ability before mounting the bike and riding. He is responsible for his actions...not you.

What if he dropped it? Would he have sued you? He is a clown...I would talk to the owner if necessary.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Key phase "He broke my lower"....he now owns it. He should have assessed his riding ability before mounting the bike and riding. He is responsible for his actions...not you.

What if he dropped it? Would he have sued you? He is a clown...I would talk to the owner if necessary.
Yeah. Ill talk to the owner asap. He has to know that this happened.

·
Rider
416 Posts
Yeah I would talk to Rey about it and let him know at least how he talked to you! I get that accidents happen but at the same time, they should be responsible for anything that happens to your bike while it's in their possession! At very least he was unprofessional on how he handled it. Keep me posted on how they handle it because this is my shop as well. If they do you dirty, I'll definitely be taking my bike somewhere else. Don't want to be doing business with people like that. Sad because Rey is such a good dude and has done a lot for us here in Fresno! Would hate to spread this word about his service manager

·
Registered
863 Posts
How did he damage the lowering fairing by doing a u-turn? Seriously, it just wouldn’t have as tight a turning radius. Even if he didn’t know the radius was reduced how do you almost drop it and damage the lower in the process?

I’d be examining that bike for other evidence of being dropped like rubs on highway bar, floorboard scratches. Maybe he actually did drop it, damaged the lower fairing and now won’t own up to it.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
You installed an accessory not authorized or designed for the bike which hindered its full designed range of motion or operation. The bad is on you. In the process of trying to ride the bike as designed, the contact with the lower may have caused an upset with how an un-modified bike would have reacted to the steering input. Again, your bad, and to top it off you knew it.

As for the stalling, that’s on Indian and they should make it right.

·
Registered
418 Posts
regardless of mods you should get your bike back the way it was dropped off. not anything broken. that's my understanding. lots of members take pictures of there bikes before drop off to have it returned exactly as it was dropped off. I would be kind but persistent to have the parts replaced. you had to do a bunch of work to put them on. trust that to yourself.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That sounds pretty crappy on the dealer’s part. It’s one thing to apologize for breaking something on your bike and something completely else to come with the attitude that your aftermarket parts are low quality. I only have one dealer within 200 miles of me so if this situation happened to me I’d be picking out colors on a street glide. Thankfully I’ve been blessed with a dealership that treats you like family here in northern Kentucky.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Definitely talk to the owner.

Taking the time to cool off is always a good call. Good on you👍
Tough thing to do when we give so much TLC to our machines, and someone disrespects it/us.

I had a wolf tail connected to my bike that my local shop somehow snapped in half. When I picked it up, I noticed it wasn't fastened in its place. Opened the saddlebag and there it was.
They couldn't replace it so they discounted the service work for the price I told them I paid for it. FAIR.

Everyone has an occasional bad day, and it sounds like this service tech/ manager definitely did.

Good Luck!

·
Administrator
14,716 Posts
Compliments on keeping your cool, especially when the manager calls your accessory a “piece of shit.” Just my two cents is ask the manager if the pickup guy told him about your warning. Stress that the employee even did a test turn.

• If the pickup guy told the manager, dealership owns the damage
  • if the pickup guy did not tell the manager, who is responsible for the employee? The dealership. They own the damage.

And I concur with the observation that any decent, competent rider (including presumably the manager) s/b able to turn that bike in tight quarters.

Take it up the food chain.

·
Bronze member
2,569 Posts
Telling the pick-up driver and expecting him to remember to notify the service manager, who in turn would have to notify anyone moving, working on, or riding the bike, is an awful lot to expect. In retrospect, the safe play would have been to remove the lowers, or write a note and tape it to the tank. I don’t think there is a right answer to your question. I can see your point of view, but also the dealer’s.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Good on you keeping your cool.

I get they did not have full range of motion with the after market part. If a tech was concerned about being able to move the bike with the after market part, I would expect that part to be removed before the bike was moved and put back on after the rest of the work was done. With any vehicle, when something inhibits correct operation, I stop and assess the problem, not just soldier on and hope nothing breaks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You installed an accessory not authorized or designed for the bike which hindered its full designed range of motion or operation. The bad is on you. In the process of trying to ride the bike as designed, the contact with the lower may have caused an upset with how an un-modified bike would have reacted to the steering input. Again, your bad, and to top it off you knew it.

As for the stalling, that’s on Indian and they should make it right.
What if. I would have corrected it IF my bike was running and after I test rode it could make the correction?
I understand your good point.
Thank u.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,105 Posts
Good info in this article Your Car Was Damaged While In The Shop. Who Pays?

Two things making it harder.
1. you did install a mod that changed the handling of the bike.
2. by telling the guy who picked it up you told the dealership.

My suggestion is to educate yourself by following the instructions in the article: To find out the law in your state, run a search on the interwebulator such as “[state] garage keeper liability.” Insert your state in the brackets. And note that garage liability without the keeper is a different thing.

Then contact the owner before contacting a lawyer. I feel it's always better to work it out without getting the lawyers involved unless someone died or was seriously injured.

Reactions: Max Kool

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
No what if’s about it. You knew whether the bike stalls or not that your steering was compromised due to your modification. If your HD lowers are a must have, I would have removed them prior to pick-up and reinstalled once the bike came back fixed...I don’t believe the lowers have or had anything to do with the completely separate stalling issue.

I get a kick out of those that use the phrase “treat you like family “. My older brother would slap me in the head and say “do it the right way”, God I miss him. The guy taught me a lot.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts