Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Founding member
2,282 Posts
You're from Minnesota and 45F is your minimum? That gives you what, about 5 months to ride? :)

I'll take the bike to/from work (40 minute ride) as long as it's in double digits (>10) and the road is clear of ice/snow. I find the biggest risk is when it is right around freezing and previous temps were above (possible glaze or black ice). As long as you keep your hands/feet warm and the direct wind off all exposed skin, you can ride with the right gear. Your link is a good one.

·
Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster
3,516 Posts
I don't mind riding in cooler temps as long as I can stay comfortable - but 45 is pretty close to my number too.
I ride for fun and when I have to make all kinds of changes by wearing too much clothing, worrying about ice and snow on every turn, it no longer becomes fun.

Thanks Leadermotorcycle!! Great info. psst...I heard possibly 50 degrees this Saturday ?!?

·
Speak softly and carry a big stick. Teddy R
1,529 Posts
Now that I live in Iowa I've had to learn that its not going to be my type of riding weather (70) until May or June. Coming from a state (Texas) that you could ride year around with only the occassional days that where bad or too cold I've had to lower my riding number a bit. That bit is half, 35 is now my low number. If you can keep your extremities warm its not too bad. I just hate having to look like the Michelin-Man to ride. But, I like riding more than 5 months out of the year, so what are you going to do?

Reactions: Roadie

·
Super Moderator
4,962 Posts
Yeah, not a rider when it's around 40F.

I did purchase a really neat aviator cap with a removable mask and neck protection from Sterkowski this year.

Product Automotive wheel system Auto part Wheel
Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Carburetor

I have a pair of Bertolli riding goggles I wear with this, plus my windshield and I'm ok to ride. [happy]

·
Registered
322 Posts
45 is right around my ride or no ride zone I live in North Florida and commute on nice days. At 45 I'm good with a heavy leather jacket,chaps and gloves. Too many nice days for me to ride in any colder. When I lived on Long Island as long as long as there was no snow or ice I was good to go.

·
Speak softly and carry a big stick. Teddy R
1,529 Posts
They even make it in brown
Text Diagram Architecture Technical drawing Plan I'll have one before next winter.
Thanks shuje-sunge for the information.

·
Registered
438 Posts
When I was in high school, back in the mid 70's, I used to ride my Honda 750 four all year round ,northIdaho, cut as I have done aged and a motorcycle isn't my only wheels I have chosen 40 as my point. It also has to be day light when I leave for work on my bike, to many deer on the roads

·
Registered
354 Posts
30 yesterday morning and 38 this morning. As long as there is no ice, I'm riding. Gotta get the dry days however you can in the Pacific North West:D

·
Silver member
3,526 Posts
45 is my preferred cut off but I have proven that I can ride down to 32. My issue is when bundled up for that low temp you can forget getting off and going inside to eat or visit without a huge peel down. During the cold months I ussually just wait it out and find other ways to enjoy myself. Riding is for pleasure so if it ain't I don't. Hate the salt on the roads too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
We're snow birds and 53 degrees is my cut off point. Still leaves many/most days of the year to ride. I don't even mind riding in the rain, but cold, that's beyond enjoyable. Personally, I hate having those face/neck wraps that restrict my movement.

·
Registered
552 Posts
45 degrees seems to be a common number.....that's normally my cut-off temperature too.

I'm liking that aviator head gear (being an ex-aviator). Been thinking about doing my Dark Horse up as a military style bike, possibly a Bomber and I think that headgear arrangement would go good with it....at least in the winter. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
My personal minimum for cold weather riding is 45 degrees. Being a Minnesota girl I have to do what I can to extend my riding season for as long as possible. Few tips on how to enjoy the chilly weather and extend your riding season.

The Secret to Enjoying Cold Weather Rides
I am an all year rider. Coldest I have ridden is 5 F. After THAT ride I raised my number to 20, I am way older now. I am with Jayred1 and fear the black ice the most. I much prefer to leave the house at 0530 at 20 degrees rather than 31 or 32 degrees because of frost and black ice. I also hae a Goldwing for the winter riding, a lot more protection! I have heated gloves but find my 3 fingered mittens give me all the warmth I need for my 26 mile commute to work.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I just tried to get on the Sterkowski site and got this message: "503 Overload. You cannot access this store from your country. We apologize for the inconvenience."

·
KHAOS
2019 Pearl White & Star Silver Roadmaster
556 Posts
Only a Minnesotan would do a post with a wind chill chart in it. I used to live there but now I am in the much more temperate climate of WA. I do agree with satmdv we do have issues with moisture. All said and done I now can get at least 7 - 8 good months of riding in and with a little luck I can even stretch that.

Thanks for the post leadermotorcycle.;)

·
Registered
2014 Vintage, 2000 Gilroy Silver Cloud,1973 Indian Dirt Bike
708 Posts
I just tried to get on the Sterkowski site and got this message: "503 Overload. You cannot access this store from your country. We apologize for the inconvenience."
I can ride in the 20's with heated gear and heated grips. I'm fine with all that and I wear ski pants with long underwear or chaps and Merino wool socks.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
My personal minimum for cold weather riding is 45 degrees. Being a Minnesota girl I have to do what I can to extend my riding season for as long as possible. Few tips on how to enjoy the chilly weather and extend your riding season.

The Secret to Enjoying Cold Weather Rides
Hard wired heated vest!! Keep the core body temp up and the ride is much more enjoyable. When really cold I add my heated gloves

1 - 20 of 48 Posts