Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting for my Scout - reading the Forum to pass time - reading every review I can get my hands on (IMO the review from Nickj is the best). The anticipation is driving me crazy.

Then the beauty of the Scout's engine hit me. It has a twin personality.

This makes it perfect for beginners like me who can keep it at low rev's where it is torque friendly and perfect for more experienced riders who can run it at high rev's (where the torque is supposedly awesome) to unleash the beast within (rumors of 140 hp :D).

This would explain some of Jen's observations on why she thought her HD Sportster had more giddy-up & go than her Scout demo ride in spite of the overwhelming number of reviews stating the Scout has superior "umph!" See thread on Scout Test Ride. Jen if you want to experience the Scout's other personality just let the rev's climb. If you like the Scout's milder personality, keep them low.

IMO, this is also a reason why Indian does not need a 650 cc Scout. IMO, the 1130 cc Scout is perfect for real beginners/learners because of its twin personality. We can develop by using low rev's where the Scout's torque is easily manageable. And as we develop, instead of buying another bike, all we have to is change our style of riding (ride at higher rev's) in order to unleash the 1130's other personality - awesome torque.

Sort of like having two different bikes in one package.

Thoughts from others? I might be talking out my ass since I have not had the privilege to do a demo (but I have rabidly consumed all the literature on the Scout that I can get my hands on). Anyone confirm the "twin personality" of the 1130?

Brother John

·
Registered
47 Posts
There's no substitute for test riding the bike.

If I'm riding a cruiser, I'm not expecting to need to rev the bike to 8k to get power. If I was riding an R1, yeah, maybe I would expect that I would have to rev higher to hit the power band.

Even my "sport bike" has more available torque/hp lower in the power band.

I like the instant torque of the Sportster (keep in mind, 2006 so it has a carb, which I think helps). The Indian has much better balance and rides better, but it's missing that rush that the Sportster has.

Here's what I am hoping for- more power and torque with less throttle.

Does anyone have a dyno hp/torque read out?

·
Registered
430 Posts
This makes it perfect for beginners like me who can keep it at low rev's where it is torque friendly and perfect for more experienced riders who can run it at high rev's (where the torque is supposedly awesome) to unleash the beast within (rumors of 140 hp :D).
This is why I think the Scout should have been released with a tachometer. Same once I tuned my Street Bob. More important than a speedo.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Amazing how flat the torque curve is...

15_indian_scout.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Agreed the Scout has a twin personality , so it would be ideal as a newbie rider type of bike unfortunately here in OZ (Australia ) beginner riders learners have a maximum bike capacity of 650 CC for at least 12 months , until you get a open licencee you are restricted as to the type of bike you can ride and the boys in blue police this extensibly .

"Dont Ride Faster than your guardian angel can fly "

B....free
Michael​

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
This is why I think the Scout should have been released with a tachometer. Same once I tuned my Street Bob. More important than a speedo.
It does have a tach on it, it is in the lower info viewing screen.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Agreed the Scout has a twin personality , so it would be ideal as a newbie rider type of bike unfortunately here in OZ (Australia ) beginner riders learners have a maximum bike capacity of 650 CC for at least 12 months , until you get a open licencee you are restricted as to the type of bike you can ride and the boys in blue police this extensibly .

B....free
Michael​

L&L,
Check out my reconfigured Scout Engine
http://www.indianmotorcycles.net/forum/53-indian-scout/1315-custom-scout-thread-27.html

Folks,
Those of you who have read the Custom Scout page have probably seen me talk about the potential the Scout has.
If you hadn't, it might be worth a look. All I am doing is sharing what I see.

The Scout isn't just a cruiser, it isn't just a split personality. It's a Multiple Personality..... dare I say it again,..... SHAPE SHIFTER!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

If I'm riding a cruiser, I'm not expecting to need to rev the bike to 8k to get power. If I was riding an R1, yeah, maybe I would expect that I would have to rev higher to hit the power band.

I like the instant torque of the Sportster (keep in mind, 2006 so it has a carb, which I think helps). The Indian has much better balance and rides better, but it's missing that rush that the Sportster has.

Does anyone have a dyno hp/torque read out?
Could this be helpful to you Scout vs Sportster?

·
Registered
90 Posts

If I'm riding a cruiser, I'm not expecting to need to rev the bike to 8k to get power.

I like the instant torque of the Sportster

Then why are you still interested in the Scout? It obviously does not meet your criteria. You rode it and came away unimpressed, although all of the reviews and dyno runs contradict your experience.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

B....free
Michael​
I can't really disagree with the concept of beginning riders having a lower displacement bike to learn on. Although 650 cc is big enough to do some damage to yourself! Hand in hand with displacement usually is bike weight. A light bike is forgiving at times whereas a larger, heavier bike can create situations that newbies simply cannot handle. I have ridden large displacement bikes forever but I have tried crotch rockets and the Scout. Crotch rockets have WAY too much power for me....I had trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground and powering through a curve nearly got me in trouble due to the power to weight differential. The Scout seems to be a competant bike. It has a good power to weight differential while still having the grunt to move it off the line. The 2nd power band is awesome and can be a lot of fun for a short run. I do some short runs typically goofing off as time permits but I like the long runs of 1K mile minimum. The Scout would destroy my back and with the small tank, create way too many stops.
I will stay with my Chieftain. While it doesn't have the 2nd power band but I really enjoy the smooth power while blasting my tunes for all to hear (changed out the fairing speakers to something decent). My Chieftain gives me the capability to go a full tank prior to taking a rest while not feeling stiff and sore.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
430 Posts
It does have a tach on it, it is in the lower info viewing screen.
Duh! I know, I'm a gel-brain! I meant a easy reading tach. :eek:

·
Registered
748 Posts
I can't really disagree with the concept of beginning riders having a lower displacement bike to learn on. Although 650 cc is big enough to do some damage to yourself! Hand in hand with displacement usually is bike weight. A light bike is forgiving at times whereas a larger, heavier bike can create situations that newbies simply cannot handle. I have ridden large displacement bikes forever but I have tried crotch rockets and the Scout. Crotch rockets have WAY too much power for me....I had trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground and powering through a curve nearly got me in trouble due to the power to weight differential. The Scout seems to be a competant bike. It has a good power to weight differential while still having the grunt to move it off the line. The 2nd power band is awesome and can be a lot of fun for a short run. I do some short runs typically goofing off as time permits but I like the long runs of 1K mile minimum. The Scout would destroy my back and with the small tank, create way too many stops.
I will stay with my Chieftain. While it doesn't have the 2nd power band but I really enjoy the smooth power while blasting my tunes for all to hear (changed out the fairing speakers to something decent). My Chieftain gives me the capability to go a full tank prior to taking a rest while not feeling stiff and sore.

Semper Fi,
DrZ
Funny how useless some laws are. you can get a 650cc sport bike that has more power than the scout will ever have, but you have to wait a year to get a scout.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts