Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Scout manual and notice a whole section on ABS brakes. So I make the assumption that ABS will at least be offered in some sort of package in 2016. I ASSUME that this to keeping the costs down for the introduction.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I was looking at the Scout manual and notice a whole section on ABS brakes. So I make the assumption that ABS will at least be offered in some sort of package in 2016. I ASSUME that this to keeping the costs down for the introduction.
Cost of a Stock bike, is what it is. As an option ABS does not add cost to the basic bike. Currently the bikes are made in the same factory for both US and European markets. However the European bikes will have ABS. The buyer should have been given the choice to pay extra for it. Also some insurance companies give a discount for ABS. According to a Harley tour I was on, assembly lines are timed to the second. I think it is more of a time savings to get bikes assembled faster.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Again, I asked many questions (ABS brakes, and a whole lot more) to the Indian engineer at the Progressive show, Long Beach. Polaris wanted to introduce this bike at an accessible price point to compete with what's out here. They did not dump money on what we the consumer will probably wind up replacing latter, i.e. grips/pegs pipes, etc. Bikes that are distended for some of the European market to my understanding (I could be wrong) are mandated by there laws to have ABS braking systems.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey Builder. I'm guessing that you're talking about the Service manual, not the Owners Manual?

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Hey Builder. I'm guessing that you're talking about the Service manual, not the Owners Manual?
The Service Manual has 13 pages about ABS in 3 Chapters but is marked (INT'L) ..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks Jay,
The one's I've seen out here in Oz have the ABS but I couldn't see any reference to it in the Owners Manual and I wasn't sure who, other than you has a copy of the Service Manual yet.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not a big fan of government dictating everything but ABS should be standard on all vehicles...period. It is proven technology that really adds to safety. I've had the opportunity to test it in real life on my Chieftain. Normally when hard braking without ABS, I release a small amount of brake pressure when the wheels lock up. This is better than skidding but not as good as ABS. Knowing I have ABS, I held steady pressure on the brakes, heard the chirp, chirp, chirp and stopped before hitting that car that cut me off easily. The only reason I'd want it mandatory is to create the even playing field for manufacturers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
733 Posts
The extras are always nice, but they are never free. Government regulation often manifests itself in feel good measures adding cost and little in added value. IE airbag over 4 point seat belt. AbS also nice yet ability to turn it off quickly gave way to always on because more is always better with government. The 6 to 8 hundred dollars ABS would have added to the scout might be better spent at a track day learning to really controll a motorcycle. Locked up brakes most often the result of involuntary sphincter contraction being transmitted through the seat.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Thanks Jay,
The one's I've seen out here in Oz have the ABS but I couldn't see any reference to it in the Owners Manual and I wasn't sure who, other than you has a copy of the Service Manual yet.
I have bought a service manual for my Scout through this site. Thers a service manual thread somewhere that gives you the link to the Scout manual as well as the Indians.

·
Registered
87 Posts
In Europe the Scout is only for sale with ABS because of newest regulations for the European Community! I'm very happy about this and I'm sure it will be soon offered in the States too......

My Bonny's having a sister!

Reactions: 1RSCOUT

·
Registered
88 Posts
In Europe the Scout is only for sale with ABS because of newest regulations for the European Community! I'm very happy about this and I'm sure it will be soon offered in the States too......

My Bonny's having a sister!
By the time it arrives more likely it's a niece :)

Reactions: axolotl007

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep, Only ABS scout in Europe…but the price. For the fun (or not) this is the price of a stock black glossy scout un switzerland converted in USD (with swiss 8% tax, final full price) : 16'145 USD…..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just to show you how the ABS versions looks like.......
IMG_0692.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts