Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Hey, next week I'm going with 4 of my friends to Tennessee and North Carolina, will hit the tail of the dragon too!" This is how my friend started his conversation with me. I'm perplexed, envious, curious a mixed bag of emotions, I know it's the second long trip they took this year and for the first one I was still on the waiting list for the Scout. "We're leaving next Sunday at 4 am!" are the next words I hear before I even had a reply.
"Hum, sounds nice, this is something that I always wanted to do comes out of my mouth, but I'm still weary, I know I only have about 850 miles on my Indian and the last long trip I took was a few years back.
"By the way, we're gonna camp out!" says my friend. Crap, I don't have a tent goes through my mind. Maybe I can come with you guys, barely comes out of my mouth because I know, Holy Shit how totally unprepared I am for this type of trip. I had a week to perform some medicine man miracle like pulling a complete set of gear I needed for this trip. I go home and start doing a little inventory: Indian leather jacket, checked! Everything else is still missing in action. A little short search (two hours later) reveals that Revzilla and CycleGear, Dick's sporting goods and of course my friendly neighborhood Indian Motorcycle dealer have absolutely everything I thought I was gonna need for this trip: base layers, cold weather gloves, a tent, luggage rack, sleeping bag, boots, head warmers, a waterproof bag, winter riding pants and other goodies. I realized how much unprepared I was for doing some serious motorcycling. After all, jeans and summer gloves with cutouts were not gonna cut it so I started shopping. Now guys I'm a grown ass man, with a family and kids, I did something I wasn't very proud about, I didn't tell anybody about my plans to go 4 days on a wild turkey shoot in Tennessee. I went to work like I normally do, on Friday before the D day I was in Boston Ma without a load going back home. Did I tell you I drive a semi for entertainment? My dispatcher pulled a load out of the magic hat and Saturday at noon I was I finishing latest shoppings on my list. For those who don't drive a truck it involved driving 17 hours with a 10 hour break. By now most of you are gone because I wasted 5 minutes of your time and said nothing about the tail of the dragon.
Sunday morning 4 am I'm parked in front of my friends house, 5 other guys, six bikes are ready for some action. Now, I don't discriminate when it comes to the bikes I ride with, there were selected company: bmw gs1200r, 2 busas, Suzuki v-strom and a Honda magna colorful group indeed. It's 42 degrees and I'm cold as hell. We have 500 miles to do to Corbin Ky. It only took us 11 hours and a million stops. Every hours or every 70 miles or so we had to stop for fuel, bathroom break, coffee, bathroom and coffee together, eat, every possible reason you might think of, we stopped for. Nobody wanted to admit they broke their hands (the two busa guys), ass got complete numb (me) or little tank on a big bike (the Honda guy) no pun intended. It's fun, it's amazing I'm doing it, I like it, I love it, everything goes through my head on the Scout. A big semi is wondering around a bit in my lane, don't crash, I scream to myself. I haven't felt this camaraderie this feeling of belonging, of focus, of excitement in a while. Finally, we get to Corbin Kentucky and after fueling the bikes one more time, our next stopped is Walmart. The steaks we were talking and fantasizing about all day have to come from somewhere, don't you think?
My friend tells me we have no reservation for the camp site, so, a short conversation over and a 10 miles ride we are finally at the camping site. Watch out steaks, I don't think you'll survive the night!
There is nothing more raw, more untarnished more real than this, hitting the road with your riding buddies, camping, eating steaks from Walmart and drinking homemade wine after 500 miles on a saddle. Tomorrow I will come back with The Dragon details, I promise!

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
"Hey, next week I'm going with 4 of my friends to Tennessee and North Carolina, will hit the tail of the dragon too!" This is how my friend started his conversation with me. I'm perplexed, envious, curious a mixed bag of emotions, I know it's the second long trip they took this year and for the first one I was still on the waiting list for the Scout. "We're leaving next Sunday at 4 am!" are the next words I hear before I even had a reply.
"Hum, sounds nice, this is something that I always wanted to do comes out of my mouth, but I'm still weary, I know I only have about 850 miles on my Indian and the last long trip I took was a few years back.
"By the way, we're gonna camp out!" says my friend. Crap, I don't have a tent goes through my mind. Maybe I can come with you guys, barely comes out of my mouth because I know, Holy Shit how totally unprepared I am for this type of trip. I had a week to perform some medicine man miracle like pulling a complete set of gear I needed for this trip. I go home and start doing a little inventory: Indian leather jacket, checked! Everything else is still missing in action. A little short search (two hours later) reveals that Revzilla and CycleGear, Dick's sporting goods and of course my friendly neighborhood Indian Motorcycle dealer have absolutely everything I thought I was gonna need for this trip: base layers, cold weather gloves, a tent, luggage rack, sleeping bag, boots, head warmers, a waterproof bag, winter riding pants and other goodies. I realized how much unprepared I was for doing some serious motorcycling. After all, jeans and summer gloves with cutouts were not gonna cut it so I started shopping. Now guys I'm a grown ass man, with a family and kids, I did something I wasn't very proud about, I didn't tell anybody about my plans to go 4 days on a wild turkey shoot in Tennessee. I went to work like I normally do, on Friday before the D day I was in Boston Ma without a load going back home. Did I tell you I drive a semi for entertainment? My dispatcher pulled a load out of the magic hat and Saturday at noon I was I finishing latest shoppings on my list. For those who don't drive a truck it involved driving 17 hours with a 10 hour break. By now most of you are gone because I wasted 5 minutes of your time and said nothing about the tail of the dragon.
Sunday morning 4 am I'm parked in front of my friends house, 5 other guys, six bikes are ready for some action. Now, I don't discriminate when it comes to the bikes I ride with, there were selected company: bmw gs1200r, 2 busas, Suzuki v-strom and a Honda magna colorful group indeed. It's 42 degrees and I'm cold as hell. We have 500 miles to do to Corbin Ky. It only took us 11 hours and a million stops. Every hours or every 70 miles or so we had to stop for fuel, bathroom break, coffee, bathroom and coffee together, eat, every possible reason you might think of, we stopped for. Nobody wanted to admit they broke their hands (the two busa guys), ass got complete numb (me) or little tank on a big bike (the Honda guy) no pun intended. It's fun, it's amazing I'm doing it, I like it, I love it, everything goes through my head on the Scout. A big semi is wondering around a bit in my lane, don't crash, I scream to myself. I haven't felt this camaraderie this feeling of belonging, of focus, of excitement in a while. Finally, we get to Corbin Kentucky and after fueling the bikes one more time, our next stopped is Walmart. The steaks we were talking and fantasizing about all day have to come from somewhere, don't you think?
My friend tells me we have no reservation for the camp site, so, a short conversation over and a 10 miles ride we are finally at the camping site. Watch out steaks, I don't think you'll survive the night!
There is nothing more raw, more untarnished more real than this, hitting the road with your riding buddies, camping, eating steaks from Walmart and drinking homemade wine after 500 miles on a saddle. Tomorrow I will come back with The Dragon details, I promise!
You will sleep tight tonight Buddy!
Alpal's

·
Rider
1,054 Posts
Couldn't agree more SilverMike!!!! I'm sending you some "Man Points" ;) Enjoy and post some pics...please. Jealously, Ride Safe! -JJ

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Enjoy!! I did the Tail of the Dragon this past July on my Scout with three of my riding buddies. A bit warmer than 40* though. Have fun (and be aware of falling leaves).

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
Great stuff! Ride safe and may you continue having a blast!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Omg!
That was fun to read and u didn't lose me 5 minutes in... Lol I'm really curious how you and your scout did. That's one of my dreams to be able to do " the tail of the dragon" , I'm jealous. Please please let us know if you scraped pegs, feet, bars.... Whatever. I'm think I'm way too excited for you.... Be safe and have fun!!! :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Omg!

That was fun to read and u didn't lose me 5 minutes in... Lol I'm really curious how you and your scout did. That's one of my dreams to be able to do " the tail of the dragon" , I'm jealous. Please please let us know if you scraped pegs, feet, bars.... Whatever. I'm think I'm way too excited for you.... Be safe and have fun!!! :D
I will post details tonight,

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
AAhhhh... the Tree of Shame :). I see wet roads and falling leaves. Be safe!

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
AAhhhh... the Tree of Shame :). I see wet roads and falling leaves. Be safe!
Yep that combination will get you on the ground nearly anywhere you find them.... No matter how good your tires are!

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
His butt is already asleep!
Also check out the Cherohala Skyway between Robinsville NC and Tellico Plains TN. It is a sweet ride too and close to Dragon. Also, if have time, take time to eat at the Tapoco Lodge/Inn Restaurant. It is just couple miles from Deals Gap on way to Robinsville on Rt 129.
HISTORIC TAPOCO LODGE | 828.498.2800 | Tapoco Lodge Resort on the Cheoah River located in the Smoky Mountains of western North Carolina, near Robbinsville, North Carolina on US129 just 2 miles south of the famous Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap

·
Registered
82 Posts
This really takes me back. Love the details of your ride there. I did The Dragon a number of years ago and still remember it vividly. Better weather than what you're experiencing though. Also did the Cherohala and the Tapico Lodge. All great suggestions. Tell us more.

Jerrman

·
Registered
330 Posts
Wow Jerman... I live here and ride these roads all the time so I have "suggestions" that will keep you in the area for a long time... Ha! But, another highlight would be to ride some of Blue Ridge Parkway, especially from Boone NC to Cherokee NC. If you go through the Dragon, past Fontana, Bryson City, and into Cherokee, you can connect to the BRP at North side of Cherokee, and you will have a ride never to forget. Even if you hop off of it in Asheville it will be an awesome experience.... //Jon//
Explorers of the Blue Ridge Parkway | Asheville, NC's Official Travel Site

·
Registered
330 Posts
Jerman... here are a couple good web sites for other roads and things to see in the area....
This really takes me back. Love the details of your ride there. I did The Dragon a number of years ago and still remember it vividly. Better weather than what you're experiencing though. Also did the Cherohala and the Tapico Lodge. All great suggestions. Tell us more.
Jerrman
Here are a couple other web sites showing roads and places to see in the area.......
http://tailofthedragon.com/
http://www.cherohala.com/

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Oh stop it you guys, you're having way too much fun while I'm stuck at work!
Alpal

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know I promised to give you details of every single mile I rode the Scout in the Tennessee And North Carolina mountains but I was too busy fighting the first winter storm of the season. Don't worry I will come back with more pictures and details soon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts