Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've heard a couple of folks talk about wanting to remove the black saddle bag guard. Obviously, to enhance appearance, which personally I can kind of see their point.

Is removing it a clean process?
If the bike tips over, does the ass end of the bike rest on that black protector?
After removing it, are you left a perfectly painted and seamless appearance?

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Hello LesOH

I've removed the saddlebag guards from my Challenger and so have many others owners to enhance the appearance of the saddlebags as well as the entire motorcycle. Removing the black guards was the first change I made to the motorcycle and I was very pleased with the way the bike looks without the saddlebag guards.

1) Use a heat gun or hair dryer to remove the black saddlebag guards. The guards are only held on with double stick tape and most likely you are not going to get all of the tape off the saddlebags with just the heat gun. After removing the saddlebag guards you may have to remove and clean some of the remaining tape still sticking on the saddlebags as well. You can use several different cleaners to help soften the tape and adhesive. Do not try to scrape the tape off of the saddlebags, you may scratch and/or damage the paint finish.

2) I've never laid the bike over to see if the saddlebags touch the ground on a controled lean-over however, I can only assume that the saddlebags will touch/hit at the bottom outside edge of the saddlebags.

3) The saddlebags are fully painted from the factory, so removing the black saddlebag guards is not a painting issue.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Sounds like you're glad you did it and it also added to the looks of the bike.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I have a feeling that they will remove the plastic on future model year Challenger’s.

I think the Challenger would look better if they removed the plastic on the saddle bags and on the side covers.

Especially since the plastic stands out on an all black Challenger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
LeOH

With
IMG_0308 (2).JPG

Without
IMG_0310.JPG

Like Herk - this was the first mod I did to the bike. Removing the Indian script off the nose of the fairing was second.
Definitely think it improves the look of the bike.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would anyone be able to post a photo of the inside of the saddle bag plastic they took off the bike. It would help me (in the future when I get mine) to know the location of the double face tape in order to be more precise about how/where to apply the heat gun.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Dang I did mine this morning about 2 hours each bag.
Do yourself a favor and apply heat to inside of bag and hopefully when you pry the plastic off , the tape comes off the bag.
I had a hell of a time getting the tape off the bag!!!
Used goo be gone.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,094 Posts
I had full intention of removing mine before I got my bike, once I saw it I'm torn, I kind of like it on the red bike. It has so much black accents on it, I think it flows well. So for now I'm leaving it.
I've had the same thoughts with the blue. I'm leaving mine as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, maybe someone should post one of those voting threads on this. I can see it both ways. Let the full beauty of the paint show vs. the protector adding contrast to the bike.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I removed mine immediately after I got my bike back to the shop. I designed and installed some 3M black reflective vinyl along the bottom. It looks 100x better. I also put the rear highway bars on my bike to replace the functionality the of the plastic junk taped to the bag. The vinyl gives me extra visibility from both back and sides.

Without direct light on the side:

With direct light on the side:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I removed mine immediately after I got my bike back to the shop. I designed and installed some 3M black reflective vinyl along the bottom. It looks 100x better. I also put the rear highway bars on my bike to replace the functionality the of the plastic junk taped to the bag. The vinyl gives me extra visibility from both back and sides.

Without direct light on the side:

View attachment 588483

With direct light on the side:

View attachment 588484
That turned out GREAT!

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,094 Posts
I wasn't sure I was a fan at first until I saw it reflect. What did you use to do it? Does the tape just stop a the bottom of the bag or does it wrap around?

·
Registered
83 Posts
The 3M reflective vinyl is only applied to the side and wraps around to the back of the bag. This is the exact same material used on police, EMS and fire vehicles. I designed a template and cut it out on a vinyl plotter.

·
Read Only
416 Posts

Well done, Teddy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Would anyone be able to post a photo of the inside of the saddle bag plastic they took off the bike. It would help me (in the future when I get mine) to know the location of the double face tape in order to be more precise about how/where to apply the heat gun.
You can see the two impressions in the plastic below where the double sided tape sits. There's also on strip on the back of the bag near the bottom.

·
Bronze member
2,568 Posts
Has anyone removed the saddlebag protectors from a matte black Challenger? If so, did you have any issues, since the matte paint can be more finicky?

Also, I’d like to remove the IM logo on the front of the fairing...same question about that re the matte black paint.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I sure like all the pictures with the guards removed. That 3M tape job is slick!

A couple tricks for removing automotive type adhesive tape. Use a 3M Adhesive Eraser Wheel ($40.00) on a low speed cordless drill. Make sure there is no dirt on surface or on the tape. If that is not cost effective, Goo-Gone pro power gel works best. Thoroughly soak the tape and around the tape, think standing puddle. Then soak a rag or piece of cloth and lay on top of the area. Let sit for an hour or two, when you come back that tape should look like snot and wipe off with minimal effort using a dry rags. Don't use on plastic or rubber if you wish to save them but painted surfaces no issue.

·
Bronze member
1,467 Posts
Has anyone removed the saddlebag protectors from a matte black Challenger? If so, did you have any issues, since the matte paint can be more finicky?

Also, I’d like to remove the IM logo on the front of the fairing...same question about that re the matte black paint.
Tiger, I removed the Indian "bug catcher" logo on the front of the fairing to my matte black Challenger. Used a heat gun with a very soft, thin spatula from my wife's arsenal of kitchen tools and it worked out well. Just needed a little citrus cleaner to clean up some residual glue on the fairing.....no issues. I left the bag protectors on.....I think they are functional and look good....for now!!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts