Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
The motorcycle industry is slowing down because people would rather spend $1,000 on a phone and stay home than buying a used motorcycle that they no longer have the knowledge to work on because High Schools no longer have shop classes. The generations that wanted to get out of the house and go somewhere is getting old. Also, don't kid yourself. Indian motorcycles are a fraction of Polaris Industries. The first time a new bean counter decides the bike line isn't worth the money and hassle, they will pull the plug. Don't think so ? They already did it once.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think I'm alone in this regard. I have no desire to see the next generation jump on bikes. I honestly don't care why they won't ride bikes or if they ever will. If I'm among the last of a generation of folks that ride bikes, so be it. Maybe one day, the hundreds of HD dealerships will be gone and the tens of Indian dealerships will be gone leaving only a cottage industry for diehard enthusiasts. I'm fine with that. I don't need a bunch of other people riding bikes to love riding. You'll get two fingers down from me on the road, but it's about me and my bike when I'm out there. I don't do the rallies and bike nights. I hate going to my HD dealership on a Saturday and wading through a sea of donuts and arm fat just to pick up a replacement set of spark plugs. To me, the lifestyle was sold to many of these folks and it really doesn't have a lot to do with actually riding a motorcycle. That's why it's dying. It was kinda never a real thing for some.

My question is why? Why is it so important to you that more people ride?
I hope you have plenty of spare parts and lots of money. Less bikes and dealers, then no part manufacturing and new bikes that will make present day prices look like give aways.

·
Bronze member
1,520 Posts
"This scenario has happened all to often all across this country, ruining thousands of local economies like mine."

Same here in central NY reinie. GM and Chrysler had facilities in Syracuse NY. I think Ford did too. They left town several years ago, as did several other large manufacturing facilities. Some left the state, some the country, and some simply folded and went out of business. I'm no expert and or not all knowledgeable, but it seems Trump through deregulation, tariffs, and maybe some incentives and maybe some threats, has been trying to lure manufacturing back to the USA. Maybe some CEOs and the like might consider moving manufacturing back to the USA after seeing the $affects$ of the latest and greatest virus from Chinaland, but prolly not.

FWIW, any more I don't consider Harley as American made. It's more like American assembled, same for Indian. Both brands suffer in some respects because of cheapass import parts, and both cost way too much for what they are.
BINGO! We have a winner.

·
Founding member
972 Posts
Harley Davidson has been through tough times and tough markets before, and I hope they continue to survive and thrive going forward. I wish the same for Indian, it was great in 2014 to see Indian back with the financial backing to have a real chance to survive. It took a leap of faith for Polaris and a leap of faith from those of us who bought a bike in 2014/15. I hope to see Indian around for a long time. As one who’s riding days are numbered, after riding most of my life, I realize the good times and memories motorcycles have provided me through the years. I hope the next generation of riders discovers that as well.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts