Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Buy a used Vulcan 900. The forward controls will fit you really well. They’re wonderful bikes to ride and learn on. The lt comes with bags and a windshield. The custom has the big front wheel and cool looks. I think from a cruiser perspective you won’t find a better starter bike. Hell I still ride them and have a blast every time.
THIS. This was the bike I learned on five years ago. I just upgraded to a Chief Classic this last year. I finally sold the Vulcan LT to make room in the garage, but I still think it's a good ride.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am looking to purchase a Indian motorcycle in the next week. I am a new rider with no experience. I want something lightweight and easy to ride. I had narrowed it down to the Indian Scout Bobber, but a friend of mine told me that I may need to consider a bigger model because of my size(6’2” and 240 lbs). I am just looking for some advice from some experienced riders before I make my purchase. Thanks in advance
Get a 4K dollar Honda Shadow...from 750cc to 1200cc used. Learn, make sure you LOVE motorcycling and then get an Indian. If you are set on a Brand New Indian, the Chief Bobber looks fun. IDK..Indians are kind of premium bikes, not sure I'd start off on one. Kawasaki has a 900cc Vulcan that is very easy to ride, very comfortable and has highway speed. I had one as a commuter for a while... I mean a used one is what... ? 3500 bucks ?? You can always sell it/trade it or just keep it as a backup, errand runner. Most people that get into motorcycles have more than one. My commuter is a Moto Guzzi... 65mpg and I can go on gravel/dirt roads. Royal Enfield and Triumph also have some cool bikes and even new come in lower than Indians. Big and Tall guys dig those BMW R/T series bikes it seems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am looking to purchase a Indian motorcycle in the next week. I am a new rider with no experience. I want something lightweight and easy to ride. I had narrowed it down to the Indian Scout Bobber, but a friend of mine told me that I may need to consider a bigger model because of my size(6’2” and 240 lbs). I am just looking for some advice from some experienced riders before I make my purchase. Thanks in advance
Do yourself a favor and get yourself a cheap older bike to start with, learn on that and if you drop it a few times it’ll be no big deal. Once you are comfortable with that then step up to something larger. As for the scout, my pet peeve with the scout is a 3 gallon gas tank. That was a deal breaker for me. I want to put on miles without worrying about where the next gas station is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im about your size i drive a springfield and love it!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
There's a lot of good advice in this thread. Pretty much could have stopped with the first reply.

Take your MSF course. Then go find a low cost, safe (well maintained) used bike that fits you well. Ride it for several thousand miles. You'll know the right thing to do then.

Reactions: msklein

·
Registered
223 Posts
Another vote for a used bike. make all the rookie mistakes on an old bike. Learn how to do basic maintanence on it. Notice how everything works. While you're riding around, check out the differnt types of bikes out there.You might wind up wanting a sport bike or an enduro type bike or a vintage bike instead of a new cruiser. better to figure that out before you drop $10k ;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
A used bike is a good idea, as far as size , sit on a few to get a feel of the sizes

·
Registered
1 Posts
The bigger bikes are more comfortable and better balanced than a small one you will get more use out of it and when you get better you won’t regret not buying the bigger bike

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a bobber and roadmaster. The bobber feels tiny ,I am 6 ft 260. My 145 5 10 son drives it mostly. I recommend the new chief. I t fits better and plenty of power. New riders always get Highway bars .they protect you and the bike. They have saved my roadmaster from times I slipped and couldn't muscle it up also saved my leg when a trike t-boned me. Invest in extend reach pegs and mid rise handle bars. If you are a confident mature person you don't need to buy a beat up bike to start.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
The "too much power" argument isn't really valid when discussing these Indians. Not sure how the Scouts work, but when I set the throttle setting to "Tour" it is extremely docile and there are no worries about too much power getting to the ground unless I really want it to.

·
Silver member
3,643 Posts
WTF. The guy wants to buy a new Indian. So much of this thread is trying to tell him not to.

·
Rider
2019 Scout and Chieftain Classic both in Willow Green and Cream
697 Posts
I have a bobber and roadmaster. The bobber feels tiny ,I am 6 ft 260. My 145 5 10 son drives it mostly. I recommend the new chief. I t fits better and plenty of power. New riders always get Highway bars .they protect you and the bike. They have saved my roadmaster from times I slipped and couldn't muscle it up also saved my leg when a trike t-boned me. Invest in extend reach pegs and mid rise handle bars. If you are a confident mature person you don't need to buy a beat up bike to start.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
The scout seems tiny even compared to my Yamaha V-Star 1100 and i'm only 5'-6"" but if you adjust the controls to the taller set you will be ok. I also ride a Chieftain Classic and i wish the seat was just another inch lower and i already switched out the seat for a reduced reach both in green and cream. My feet just barley site flat.

·
Bronze member
1,300 Posts
Only one thing you can tell someone who states they are buying a motorcycle in the next week but is undecided on what to purchase. Slow down and consider looking before you leap.

·
Rider
560 Posts
WTF. The guy wants to buy a new Indian. So much of this thread is trying to tell him not to.
Most of the guys on here mean well, and they don't want him to get hurt or damage an expensive motorcycle. It can be very discouraging to new riders if they wipe out or damage something they just spent a ton of money on. I started on a scout, went bigger, then went back to a scout. So from my perspective starting on a scout is fine as long as you're mature about it. I'd be a little leery of the bigger bikes but if that's what I had my heart set on I'd still get one as a new rider and figure it out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When the OP stated "I am just looking for some advice from some experienced riders before I make my purchase." Most of us who replied assumed he wanted advice.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,231 Posts
Well 51 years ago I was a 17 year old kid and that $150 Honda was good enough to start out on for a teenager. No such thing these days. It would depend a lot on the maturity of the OP and his understanding of how to operate a motorcycle. Not really saying he can't start out on a new bike or even a big heavy one but he has to understand that dropping a bike is often part of the learning curve.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts