Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding for 35 years.... (Holy crap, I'm old).
I've owned every bike imaginable and enjoyed them all. Spent the last decade on big touring bikes. My last two were a Vision and a Chieftain.
When my wife got her license this spring, we bought her a Scout -- her dream bike.
I rode it home for the hour or so trip. Highway and back roads. I was hooked.
Got ME a Scout, too. FANTASTIC bike.

What does this bike NOT do?

I have every ammenity you could imagine.
With my Xgrip phone holder, I have moving map GPS. With my Bluetooth helmet, I have music, com, and phone access.

I mounted Harbor Freight gun cases ($30 each) and have rugged water proof storage with tie down points.

This enabled me to return a 100' coil of 3)4" PEX to home cheapo yesterday!

Last evening I added a new feature to our bikes --- drink holders mounted conveniently on the left bag

I have USB charging ports on order so we'll be ready for the rides we have planned.

This Scout WAY outperforms my $26,000 Chieftain with thousands in upgrades. Quicker, more comfortable, and much better handling.
Also--- no heat issues.

Not to mention....everything costs less.

So glad I got on a Scout and started "Scouting"!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've owned every bike imaginable and enjoyed them all. Spent the last decade on big touring bikes. My last two were a Vision and a Chieftain.
When my wife got her license this spring, we bought her a Scout -- her dream bike.

With my Xgrip phone holder, I have moving map GPS. With my Bluetooth helmet, I have music, com, and phone access.

I mounted Harbor Freight gun cases ($30 each) and have rugged water proof storage with tie down points.
View attachment 591609

View attachment 591610

Last evening I added a new feature to our bikes --- drink holders mounted conveniently on the left bag
View attachment 591611

I have USB charging ports on order so we'll be ready for the rides we have planned.

This Scout WAY outperforms my $26,000 Chieftain with thousands in upgrades. Quicker, more comfortable, and much better handling.
Also--- no heat issues.

My plan was to upgrade to a Chieftain but happy I kept my Scout. With some small mods, exhaust, PV 5 and Dyno tune it’s easier to ride and fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've had a Scout since 2018. Got all the goodies on it. I call it our, "Mini-bagger" because I have the Indian saddlebags, wide passenger touring seat w/backrest and luggage rack. We also put a Leatherworks, Indian Tan bag on the luggage rack. We have the Clearview lowers on it and did have the Clearview flared windshield but I took it off because I got a Springfield and my wife started riding the Scout and she couldn't see through the dark shield at night, (she's only 5'3"). I also have a Ram X-Mount on it. We rode that thing 2-up for 17,750 miles and it did fine. It had passing power to spare even with both of us on it. Kick it down a gear and haul ass! We have the burgundy metallic paint and its a real looker with the tan bags. Yes, we have a bunch of money into it, but take all the goodies off and you're not going to find another 1200cc class bike that will touch the Scout. I can honestly say, we have no complaints with the Scout.

Perhaps there are a few odds and ends they could improve, like the riding posture. Having to lean forward and down on it, due to the way the handlebars are, could be improved. Even with taller guys, you're in kind of a weird posture. I rolled the handlebars up and it helped somewhat, but not completely. I'm 5'8" and if I want to sit straight up, my fingertips are just holding onto the bars. I know I could get different bars but I don't think the way the bars are configured is ergonomic regardless of how tall you are. And, they could improve the horn...good heavens. Roadrunner and Coyote. Those are my two main beefs. Other than that, it's a little monster. And my wife loves it! Our springy and the Scout look great together.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had a Scout since 2018. Got all the goodies on it. I call it our, "Mini-bagger" because I have the Indian saddlebags, wide passenger touring seat w/backrest and luggage rack. We also put a Leatherworks, Indian Tan bag on the luggage rack. We have the Clearview lowers on it and did have the Clearview flared windshield but I took it off because I got a Springfield and my wife started riding the Scout and she couldn't see through the dark shield at night, (she's only 5'3"). I also have a Ram X-Mount on it. We rode that thing 2-up for 17,750 miles and it did fine. It had passing power to spare even with both of us on it. Kick it down a gear and haul ass! We have the burgundy metallic paint and its a real looker with the tan bags. Yes, we have a bunch of money into it, but take all the goodies off and you're not going to find another 1200cc class bike that will touch the Scout. I can honestly say, we have no complaints with the Scout.

Perhaps there are a few odds and ends they could improve, like the riding posture. Having to lean forward and down on it, due to the way the handlebars are, could be improved. Even with taller guys, you're in kind of a weird posture. I rolled the handlebars up and it helped somewhat, but not completely. I'm 5'8" and if I want to sit straight up, my fingertips are just holding onto the bars. I know I could get different bars but I don't think the way the bars are configured is ergonomic regardless of how tall you are. And, they could improve the horn...good heavens. Roadrunner and Coyote. Those are my two main beefs. Other than that, it's a little monster. And my wife loves it! Our springy and the Scout look great together.

View attachment 591680
"Springy"
I like that.
Nice bikes. The Scout is seriously underestimated. We absolutely love ours.
If I go back to a larger bike it will be a Springfield with the 108 in it (when it comes out).

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,088 Posts
I downsized to a Scout from a Chieftain last September. Huge change. I had to make several changes to the bike in order to get it to be comfortable. The performance is awesome for it's size and being about 300 pounds or so lighter made for a much more manageable bike in backing and in slow walking pace situations. It's not as Cadillac like a ride as the Chieftain was but I expected that in a smaller lighter bike. So far I'm pretty pleased.

·
Registered
472 Posts
"Springy"
I like that.
Nice bikes. The Scout is seriously underestimated. We absolutely love ours.
If I go back to a larger bike it will be a Springfield with the 108 in it (when it comes out).
I have to be honest, the Scout was my first bike in 40+ years. I got used to it pretty quick but I was scared to death to get on the Springfield. Fortunately, our dealer has a MSF course on their back lot and I was able to ride it around and get a feel for it back there. After 800 miles, I'm really comfortable on this bike. It seems much smaller than it is. You forget your'e riding a full-size bagger. It was a 2019 so I got a pretty decent deal on it. BTW, there's a $12 horn on Amazon that puts the Scout horn to shame. It's really LOUD!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I test drove a couple of Scouts and like them. Found one used for what I was willing to pay at a dealer. Went on a test ride and knew it was the one by the second turn. (It was when I shifted into second, throttled up and grabbed the bars in a deathgrip to keep myself from sliding off the back that sealed it.)
Floorboards, highway bars, windshield and my Airhawk seat, and I just got my U.S. Saddlebags in. I love this bike.
20200527_085606.jpg

·
4,503 Posts
It is amazing how much fun and how capable the smaller bikes are. I forgot that but relearned that lesson last year.

Reactions: EZ Rider 55

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is amazing how much fun and how capable the smaller bikes are. I forgot that but relearned that lesson last year.
You know what's funny? The guys across the sea think it's a "big American cruiser".
Watch a review from India or the U.K.-- their perspective is so different from ours here.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I downsized to a Scout from a Chieftain last September. Huge change. I had to make several changes to the bike in order to get it to be comfortable. The performance is awesome for it's size and being about 300 pounds or so lighter made for a much more manageable bike in backing and in slow walking pace situations. It's not as Cadillac like a ride as the Chieftain was but I expected that in a smaller lighter bike. So far I'm pretty pleased.
I still have my Chieftain.
I took it out for a 150 mile ride for good barbeque.
Wow. Cushy ride. That's about it. I was miserable. Missed the power, the handling and the nice breeze.
Bye, bye Chieftain, lol.

·
Registered
414 Posts

View attachment 591609

View attachment 591610

View attachment 591611

Also--- no heat issues.

Age does indeed bring wisdom.

I would also say the Scout is a great looking bike. It’s has beautiful lines, a very balanced look, and has no faults at all in its appearance. Doesn’t make any difference if you’re looking at the bike’s profile, from head-on, or from the rear. Just one damn good looking bike.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I had my 2016 Scout 60 for 16 months and it always turned heads when I pulled up to refill or park. On the road it surprised a lot of my riding mates with its performance. It was only the limited travel rear suspension on our local roads that let it down.

It was the Scout that got me into Indian bikes and I moved to a Springfield DH, probably the closest the big bikes get to the Scout but with recliner chair genes.

In the time I had the Scout it got more attention from passes by than the Springfield DH ever has. I went from neon lights to invisible with a single bike change. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
You know what's funny? The guys across the sea think it's a "big American cruiser".
Watch a review from India or the U.K.-- their perspective is so different from ours here.
I think some of that perspective difference is the size of the roads, (and the distances). I find the scout a really good 'fit' for our single lane 'back roads', while still being able to eat up the miles on motorways (3 lanes) when needed.
Add a corbin seat and some floor boards it makes a very capable 'tourer'- 2300 miles in 6 days round Scotland last year including a 600 mile in a day :D.

Was looking at Dark horse/ Victory Gunner but they were gonna be a bit of a P.I.T.A turning around on some of our 'cart tracks' and a bit bulky filtering through London traffic. The first mile of a demo ride on a scout, the engine's 'oomph' reminded me of my old xs1100's (10+ years of riding those), but in a smaller, more manageable package pretty much decided it:love:. The other ~49 miles were working out what tweaks' (tyres, shocks) were needed as I kne this was going to be a 'long termer'.

Thought about doing something very similar to your 'saddlebags' - but didn't think they'd look right. Your setup looks a lot better than I'd imagined👆 . What mounts? and are they detachable?

·
4,503 Posts
Back in 1970 when I had a 350 Honda that was considered a mid sized bike. In 72 when I got a 750-4 that was considered the big bike of the day. We have been conditioned to think in order to ride, tour and be comfortable we need a big rolling couch when in reality getting back to the basics on a smaller bike like the Scout really allows you to see what you have been missing!

Reactions: EZ Rider 55
1 - 14 of 14 Posts