Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a beautiful story that I decided to share with all of you who are on the other side of the Atlantic.

Google Translation
Motard, l'art de vieillir tard

Biker, the art of aging later

At nearly 90 years, Jehan Knight swallows kilometers on his Indian Scout. This is the dean of the brand in France and probably in Europe.

At the Indian franchise of the ZAC Montgorges in Poitiers, we still do not return. "He bought his motorcycle last Saturday and in a week he has already done 800 km.(500 miles) "Le Chevalier (the Knight) Jehan, 89.5 years, never does things by halves. "You have to have discipline," he said in a half-smile. And when he decided to get back to the bike, along with learning the piano and accordion, it was not for a tour of his neighborhood.

It must be said that this had to Breton birth champing at the bit for a couple of years. After spending "all permits" in 1953 during his service, he agrees and finds himself for three years on the Kerguelen Islands as radio operator.
This is his return in France he starts the bike while he enters the national gendarmerie. "I made all those that existed at the time: Norton, Terrot, René Gillet ..."

The driving school refuses to return to the level

Then in 1960 he definitely ranks gloves and helmet. "I do not have time. I got married, and I did amateur radio. "Seven children will fill some voids left.
And it was only fifty years later, in 2013, the virus resumes. A retired for a long lease, a widower, he continues his garden in Angouleme but swapped his thirty hives - "it became too heavy" - against a Harley Davidson. "There, it was trouble," he laughs, eyes sparkling. The driving school in which he requests an upgrade denied insurance and to whom he will entrust his bike believes in a joke, especially seeing his birth date: 1 April 1927!
But obstinate, the Breton gets behind the wheel and traveled 42,000 kilometers (26100 miles) with his son Thierry, to whom he passed on the virus. It is to him that it gives his Harley to buy his Indian Scout. "It's a bike much more manageable. The center of gravity is significantly lower. "

"We put on Facebook"

In one week, the grandpa has become a symbol for the brand. "We put it on Facebook and got lots of reactions. People say that if you can make it to age 90, it's worth it. "Jehan hopes to climb on his car" up to 93 or 95 years. " Starting next week, he will go to Brest, the "country" of origin. "We ascertained the Indian says Yves Bricout, seller concession of Poitiers. It is the oldest in France, probably in Europe, if not the world! "And it is not about to stop: his son Thierry has promised to make the bike up to 100 years!

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
I've always said I wanted to be still getting a leg over at the age of 92! Why 92? I simply don't know,......26 years to complete the goal,.....
Alpal

Reactions: SterlingDrive

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
767 Posts
Anyone ever heard the name Esther Mathos? If not, you don't know much about Indian Motorcycles.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Here is a starting point. She single handedly kept the flame burning for our brand in Springfield after her husband died. She owned the largest and rarest collections of Indians in the world at the Hendee Street location on the grounds of the old factory in Springfield and did so up to a few years ago when she donated her collection to the city of Springfield worth millions and millions of dollars. She rode every bike she owned , wrenched on them and did so into her late 80's. She told me a lot of stuff over the years and at time I thought they were the rantings of someone with a loose grip on reality, but found many of them rooted in truth. One of the most memorable was she told me we threw some Japanese guys out of the museum because they were taking photo's ( not allowed there) about 2 years later the Drifter came out. She remembered my Grandfather and uncle who were employed there, and I think that is the only reason she tolerated me, most found her to be rude, I kinda liked her style. she even once told me she had in her possession the original peach basket Dr. Naismith invented basketball with (basketball also originated in Springfield, Mass) she was an awesome person who took no crap from anyone. She hated Gilroy Indians and would've laughed at our Polaris rides. A national treasure, I am glad to have known her.
Indian Motorcycle Collection | Springfield Museums

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Really Interesting story, you should open a thread, i dont understand why you told about this story here? Because the story i share told just about a 90 yo guy, buying a new indian Scout and break-in a week-end, and now he ride and he ride and he ride (90ypo)
sorry for my english.
Nothing to be sorry about, you converse in at least two languages, most have trouble with one. And you're point is well taken.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Really Interesting story, you should open a thread, i dont understand why you told about this story here? Because the story i share told just about a 90 yo guy, buying a new indian Scout and break-in a week-end, and now he ride and he ride and he ride (90ypo)
sorry for my english.
Je suis désolé si j’ai violé \"your\ » fil précieux. Je tentais de partager que beaucoup de gens encore rouler dans leurs vieux jours. Je vais jamais commenter à nouveau vos discussions importantes.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Je suis désolé si j’ai violé \"your\ » fil précieux. Je tentais de partager que beaucoup de gens encore rouler dans leurs vieux jours. Je vais jamais commenter à nouveau vos discussions importantes.
Bless you!:)
Thanks for your post! Very cool story!

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Here is a starting point. She single handedly kept the flame burning for our brand in Springfield after her husband died. She owned the largest and rarest collections of Indians in the world at the Hendee Street location on the grounds of the old factory in Springfield and did so up to a few years ago when she donated her collection to the city of Springfield worth millions and millions of dollars. She rode every bike she owned , wrenched on them and did so into her late 80's. She told me a lot of stuff over the years and at time I thought they were the rantings of someone with a loose grip on reality, but found many of them rooted in truth. One of the most memorable was she told me we threw some Japanese guys out of the museum because they were taking photo's ( not allowed there) about 2 years later the Drifter came out. She remembered my Grandfather and uncle who were employed there, and I think that is the only reason she tolerated me, most found her to be rude, I kinda liked her style. she even once told me she had in her possession the original peach basket Dr. Naismith invented basketball with (basketball also originated in Springfield, Mass) she was an awesome person who took no crap from anyone. She hated Gilroy Indians and would've laughed at our Polaris rides. A national treasure, I am glad to have known her.
Indian Motorcycle Collection | Springfield Museums
???? Micmac :D:D:D it is a bit strong ! it was just a suggestion, because what you said deserved a thread, really ! ;)
In all seriousness @Micmac, perhaps a book on your experiences and recollections with Esta Manthos would be even better.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Thanks Scotd, Last book I wrote was a thesis some years ago LOL. That task removed any aspirations I may have ever had as far as delving into the literary arena. Most likely it was my last literary piece.spending 9 years in the halls of academia whooped me.Seems like some people on here start threads and plant a flag proclaiming ownership. I never intended to take any credence away from the old timer in Europe riding his scout. I merely wanted folks to know that other old folks had also swung a leg over Indians as well. Based on what I read on here most folks are new to the Indian brand, and at times I inject stuff from a historical perspective as I have been around Indians six decades and never entertained obtaining in depth knowledge about another brand. Some enjoy what I post, others believe the brand debuted in 2014. I meant no harm to the OP however he felt I should've posted this elsewhere.Frankly I was taken aback by the criticism for my short missive on Esta attached to this thread.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
How is this dude doing? I hope still riding. I would like very much to still be around, mobile and enough connected with my thoughts to still be able to ride when I get to 90......

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Thanks Scotd, Last book I wrote was a thesis some years ago LOL. That task removed any aspirations I may have ever had as far as delving into the literary arena. Most likely it was my last literary piece.spending 9 years in the halls of academia whooped me.Seems like some people on here start threads and plant a flag proclaiming ownership. I never intended to take any credence away from the old timer in Europe riding his scout. I merely wanted folks to know that other old folks had also swung a leg over Indians as well. Based on what I read on here most folks are new to the Indian brand, and at times I inject stuff from a historical perspective as I have been around Indians six decades and never entertained obtaining in depth knowledge about another brand. Some enjoy what I post, others believe the brand debuted in 2014. I meant no harm to the OP however he felt I should've posted this elsewhere.Frankly I was taken aback by the criticism for my short missive on Esta attached to this thread.
*sad face*

1 - 19 of 19 Posts