Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member here, and I thought i'd post a short story about my purchase experience.
When I was a kid, i was fascinated by motorcycles and dirt bikes. I would always hound my parents for a dirt bike. They never bought me one because they knew I'd destroy the bike or myself. Anyway, I had promised myself I'd buy myself a bike one day. For whatever reason, I always liked the Indians. The shape, maybe the history, maybe the name as it has been used synonymously with my own for hundreds of years, but for whatever reason, the Indians always resonated with me. Anyway, my brother-in-law is a die hard Harley fan. I do like some of the Harley's but the reputation of the quality and dealer shenanigans kinda of turned me off. I had been eying the Indians for years, and was pretty set on one. I wish I had been in the position to buy one of the Bombers, but that ship had sailed. I was in a better position in 2016, and by then the company had changed for the better with regard to stability, engineering, etc. I went to charlotte one weekend and grabbed my brother in law and told him we were going to look at bikes. He was all excited until I told him that we were going to the Indian dealership! The entire trip (45 minutes) he's trying to get me to go to a Harley dealership first. He started pulling up pictures on the internet. "here look at this one you could buy" (some Sons of Anarchy lookalike). I started laughing at him. Then he goes on about the Harley brotherhood, blah blah. I started laughing at him and told him I follow nobody, I go against the grain and what's popular just for the sake of doing so. Anyway, this conversation lasted 45 minutes of him trying to convince me to buy a Harley. So we pull into the dealership and go into the front door. They had a full house of new bikes, and an assortment of old bikes, etc. I had predetermined that I was going to buy either a red chief classic, or a black one. I was greeted by a young salesman who was probably within just a few days of being hired and given the sales training. I'd seen it before, because I come from a family RV dealership, so I knew all of the sales speeches already. I told him that I wanted either the red one or the black one, and that I just needed to decide. He was so new, that he didn't pick up on my language. I would walk back and forth between the red bike, and the black one, and he'd follow me to each. He'd start with the sales pitches.."we have some really good financing, etc, etc, etc." "If you're serious about buying today, i'd really like to get you into one", etc. Lol. I already told him that I was buying one today, but he wasn't picking up on it. So I started in on him, and started running my own sales pitch on him. I was like, "Ok man, I tell you what, you need to make me a good deal. At that point he was more interested. I already knew I had the $1,000 veterans discount, so i figured Id work him for some gear and paraphernalia. I said ok, throw this leather jacket into the deal, and I want this tshirt, and these other tshirts, and I want a tshirt for the Harley guy over in the corner over there (brother in law). He was so excited to go to the manager for approval, Lol. So he comes back and says the manager wants to talk to you. Ok I said, and I go into the office to negotiate with the manager. The whole time i'm in the managers office, jackass is sending me text messaged with pictures of Harley's etc. They told me I had to take delivery the next week in order to make that particular deal. So, I make the deal, get through with all the paperwork, and I grabbed a tshirt and handed it to my brother in law. I then told him he needed to pick my bike up next week and ride it home until I can get back to Charlotte in a couple weeks. He said ok no problem. The next week, I called he and the dealer to coordinate everything and make sure things went smoothly. Everything went as planned, and he picked the bike up. He called me later in the day. "Dude, I have to tell you..This is the nicest bike I ever rode!" "I drove it home and you wouldn't believe the amount of people giving me thumbs up on the way" "This bike grabs a lot of attention, and the motor is tight and fast". I said "yep", I already know. Haha. Anyway, I hope this story resonates with someone in here and finds it somewhat entertaining. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Heh. Thanks for the story. That was a fun read. Just to make sure I understood everything, this is a six year old story and the bike was a 2016 chief?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I rode my first Indian at the IMS event here last year. I went from the Scout to a Harley StreetLowSoftTush of some sort.
My gosh, you want to talk about night and day difference?
The Indian was a vastly superior motorcycle. I'm puzzled how Harley sells as many as they do. Must be to the blind faithful who are too invested in all the t-shirts they've bought to consider changing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Way back when Harley was all wait lists and "you get what comes in" I wanted to buy a 1200 sportster (all I could afford). The dealerships had sportsters but they all had $5000 worth of accessories on them. I was basically told to get lost when I wanted to purchase one without all of that. Made the decision never to own a Harley and have kept my word. Don't get me wrong, they have made and make some great bikes but some stains just don't come clean with time.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Limited
22 Posts
Great story, and I can relate to having to wait until you were in a better financial position to buy the brand you wanted. I bought my first Indian in 2016, and now have a 2020. Both times I looked hard at Harley, and both times it was clear Indian was the better bike. My Challenger is the best bike I have ever ridden, but Indian has adopted the same business model as Harley...huge expensive show rooms (and expensive bikes), expensive accessories and clothing, and salespeople who just try and sell you "a bike", instead of understanding the passion behind why we choose our bikes. You at least knew what you wanted and made the salespeople bend to your buying needs. I did the same, because I did my homework before I ever agreed to a purchase.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My buddy went to Motoamerica in Atlanta. Indian was there letting people do test rides. He said there were a lot of riders wearing. Harley clothes testing Indian bikes. Al that he talked to were blown away and many were talking about trading in for an Indian.

·
Senior member / rider
1,724 Posts
I rode my first Indian at the IMS event here last year. I went from the Scout to a Harley StreetLowSoftTush of some sort.
My gosh, you want to talk about night and day difference?
The Indian was a vastly superior motorcycle. I'm puzzled how Harley sells as many as they do. Must be to the blind faithful who are too invested in all the t-shirts they've bought to consider changing.
Must be "The Harley Brotherhood..." ;)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I bought a Vintage new in 2017 and had a similar dealer experience. I was riding a Road King at the time. No pressure, they just said take the Vintage for a ride. I had been considering a new Street Glide but the dealer would not give me more than wholesale for my trade. Long story short, took the Vintage for a ride and it blew my socks off. When I got back the manager sat down with me and offered full retail for my trade in. With the rebates it was $3k + my bike. Best deal I ever made. Unfortunately during COVID my dealer closed. But....I did buy the red one! I have never looked back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts