Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We speak of all the things that stand in the way of FTR potential sales.

Well, the next phase of challenging FTR sales has begun a bit early...
4k miles.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok

Nothing remarkable about it imho, you see this with every new bike model after a few months, right?
Could be..I haven't seen it personally.
In my observation it Usually takes at least a full year till I see that. There is usually further difference in vehicle age and mileage that sets the choice of used V. new a bit more.
Again, in my experiences.
But here's the variable, and maybe I should have made the point earlier, He traded it because he was not pleased with the way it ran. Had no faith in the product or Indian. This was his first impression of the brand.
Sales team informed him of our results with aftermarket map until Indian gets a solution. He wasn't interested and stated he shouldn't have too.. traded for a Scrambler 11.

·
Registered
784 Posts
All vehicles, whether a car or bike lose value the minute you drive out the showroom door.
Some people buy bikes without researching if it's 'right' for them.
others make careful decisions.
some lucky people will score a bargain.
other lucky people have been enjoying a great bike for a while now.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All vehicles, whether a car or bike lose value the minute you drive out the showroom door.
Some people buy bikes without researching if it's 'right' for them.
others make careful decisions.
some lucky people will score a bargain.
other lucky people have been enjoying a great bike for a while now.
Nothing to dis agree with there..

·
Registered
231 Posts
But here's the variable, and maybe I should have made the point earlier, He traded it because he was not pleased with the way it ran. Had no faith in the product or Indian. This was his first impression of the brand.
I have never paid MSRP in 45 years of buying bikes, cars or trucks, I always buy leftovers or used... until the FTR. I didn't bat an eye on the deposit or paying MSRP. Even the months I waited were worth it because of all the Indian videos and anticipation. I especially loved the video that had the interviews with the engineers at Indian. I went to my first American Flat Track race while I was waiting and it was a blast. Personally, it was great to be so connected to a brand new American made performance motorcycle. I have never owned an American made motorcycle in 53 years of riding.

Do I care that it might be worth $5k less now? No.

I love it, it makes me happy and I don't plan on selling it in the next 10 years. It has way exceeded my expectations and I have a great feeling toward Indian. In fact, I plan on spending quite a bit more on a tail tidy, bar end mirrors, turn signals, etc.

And, as always, I would have to be clinically dead to care less if anyone agrees with my opinions :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought many brand new bikes, lost quite a lot of money by reselling, them after a short time (worst case especially with premium brands), but the FTR is by far the bike I prefer and I know I won't lose more money compared to others. The only defaults are so easily solved that I can't find a rational reason to change it. New tires and a new map make the bike perfect, every day, in any conditions.

No, there is one huge issue with this bike here in Europe: I hate when people ask me if this is a HD engine ?

·
Bronze member
4,167 Posts
Nothing wrong with the FTR1200. But it is not a everyday bike or a bike many would own as their only motorcycle. Most that bought the FTR already own other motorcycles.

The FTR1200 did not sell well because it was not a bike that appealed to a large audience, it was too expensive with the tech everyone wants and red paint. The marketing campaign and execution where huge failures. Big marketing in October, teases before that and crickets for 7 month well after initial purchasing season which resulted in massive canceled orders and lackluster sales.

The Rally should have been the bike they released first with he lower prices. Most younger riders have zero clue Indian makes a bike like this. Last year my dealer always took FTR's to local events and many younger riders were interested only to have sticker shock when they saw the 17K+ price.

The problem Indian and Harley have, is to make a competitive sub 1000cc bike, they have to make them overseas to hit the price points that the riders in this class would pay. But then that contradicts the "American Motorcycle" company brands.

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
Nothing wrong with the FTR1200. But it is not a everyday bike or a bike many would own as their only motorcycle. Most that bought the FTR already own other motorcycles.

The FTR1200 did not sell well because it was not a bike that appealed to a large audience, it was too expensive with the tech everyone wants and red paint. The marketing campaign and execution where huge failures. Big marketing in October, teases before that and crickets for 7 month well after initial purchasing season which resulted in massive canceled orders and lackluster sales.

The Rally should have been the bike they released first with he lower prices. Most younger riders have zero clue Indian makes a bike like this. Last year my dealer always took FTR's to local events and many younger riders were interested only to have sticker shock when they saw the 17K+ price.

The problem Indian and Harley have, is to make a competitive sub 1000cc bike, they have to make them overseas to hit the price points that the riders in this class would pay. But then that contradicts the "Ameri.

The problem Indian and Harley have, is to make a competitive sub 1000cc bike, they have to make them overseas to hit the price points that the riders in this class would pay. But then that contradicts the "American Motorcycle" company brands.

Well, I disagree. I only have an FTR, and it works very well as my everyday ride. Now that I have over 2k miles the bike has seated in well and gets decent gas mileage. I have commuted to work, as well as gone on almost 200 mile rides. The seating position, reach to handlebars, and ride height work well for me. Just my 0.002 ppm.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts