Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg

A friend of mine went for a ride on the back of another friend's Vintage and commented on the fact that some passing bike riders gave them a wave. Discussing this later she suggested that Indian owners should develop their own 'signature wave' when acknowledging other bikers. "Like what?" We asked. She thought for a moment and suggested the left arm should be raised vertical with the palm open, a sort of Native American "how" from the corny 1940's movies. Silly suggestion?

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
hmmmmm, interesting idea :D

·
Registered
435 Posts
raja.jpeg
"I salute the light within your eyes where the whole Universe dwells. For when you are at that center within you and I am that place within me, we shall be one." - Crazy Horse,

·
Registered
335 Posts
Every biker that is enjoying the same "wind therapy" feeling that I am deserves a wave. It also shows that bikers are fully aware of all traffic coming and going regardless of the model of bike they are riding. I love seeing other Indians as they are still few a and far between on the roads currently but I truly enjoy getting a wave from bikers older or younger or of a different race or gender than than I. All bikers help create solidarity as a group

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
image.jpg

image.jpg

'Ol Malcolm Smith that we saw on the Movie "On Any Sunday" even while racing was able to lift his hand off the clutch side grip , showing his palm to spectators.

Always made more sense then pointing at the ground.

·
Super Moderator
4,867 Posts
I can give you some insight on the "wave" being Native myself.

Back in the day the "wave" or raising of the hand was always given/made with the right hand. The "wave" was merely a sign to show "I come in Peace" since weapons of war were always carried with the right hand. That is the long and short of it.

As to the ridiculousness of Hollywood, don't get me started. :mad:

·
Registered
610 Posts
I can give you some insight on the "wave" being Native myself.

Back in the day the "wave" or raising of the hand was always given/made with the right hand. The "wave" was merely a sign to show "I come in Peace" since weapons of war were always carried with the right hand. That is the long and short of it.

As to the ridiculousness of Hollywood, don't get me started. :mad:

Did they also say "How" when doing the wave? (-:

·
Super Moderator
4,867 Posts
Did they also say "How" when doing the wave? (-:
No, the raising of the right hand was done at a distance, showing peaceful intent prior to close contact where verbal interaction could occur.

I would believe there is/was some tribes' language who's verbal greeting may have been "how" but most tribes linguistics are different. To apply "how" as a greeting to all Native people would be like saying all Caucasians speak the same language or use the word "Hi" as a greeting.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,747 Posts
No, the raising of the right hand was done at a distance, showing peaceful intent prior to close contact where verbal interaction could occur.
That sounds suspiciously like the European version that began in the Middle Ages.
Knights would often raise or open their helmet visors as a gesture of peace when meeting someone. It is also considered the origin of the modern hand salute for military.

I would believe there is/was some tribes' language who's verbal greeting may have been "how" but most tribes linguistics are different. To apply "how" as a greeting to all Native people would be like saying all Caucasians speak the same language or use the word "Hi" as a greeting.
I know that "taxi"is pronounced similarly and spelled the same in many many languages.
I have also witnessed, English, American, Portuguese, Angolan, Spanish and Norwegian people answer the telephone with "Hello?
:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Heck, I`ve been using that wave for a long time!! I got tired of "power" waves a long time ago. A power wave was arm down, fist up. If you see me, I`ll just say Hi !! (or maybe How!!)

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I do the stylized Booger Flick Wave with my thumb and middle finger.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I do the stylized Booger Flick Wave with my thumb and middle finger.
You know why Harley riders do not wave it is because they are to shit scared to remove there hand from the bars because the bike would vibrate that much it would shake they off & that not kool

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,808 Posts
You know why Harley riders do not wave it is because they are to shit scared to remove there hand from the bars because the bike would vibrate that much it would shake they off & that not kool
Oh not so but funny sorta. I wave right handed just to freak some out. Like they don't know some Harley's have cruise control.

Reactions: the doctor
1 - 20 of 68 Posts