Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My engine is making a lot of ticking and clacking. It is really load and disturbing. It comes on at about 2000 rpm and stays as you slowly add more acceleration. If you just gun the hell out of it, then you don't hear it. My dealer contacted the factory but they are unwilling to let then go into the internals.
I need to know if this noise is normal. I have had HDs and I am familiar with engine noises. This engine is just really loud with the ticking and clacking. I am actually getting headaches as I ride it. It is quiet at idle and only comes on as you slowly accelerate.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Took delivery on my new Chieftain this past Friday (May 23rd) put it on a trailer and brought it from Charlotte NC to Sevierville, TN. Rode 100 mi. Saturday, Rode 100 mi. Sunday. Took it out today for a 200 mi ride. This is by far hands down the best bike I have ever owned. Its the first bike that had a stock seat that was comfortable and the wife has had no complaints either. I thought I would need the 2" pull back handlebars but after my 200 mi. ride today I had no neck or shoulder pain. I just came off of a 2013 Victory Cross Country Touring with 2"pullbacks and after 200 miles on it I still experienced neck pain and the wife says this Chieftain is more comfortable with the passenger backrest than the Victory was with the touring trunk backrest. Checked my mpg at the end of Saturdays ride and I got 49.16 mpg. Checked it on todays 200 mi run and got 46 mpg. Still doing the break in so I have not got to open it up yet but just running at half throttle thru the gears it feels very strong. Handling in curves riding two up is the best handling bike I've ever rode. This bike is a complete joy to ride. Polaris has released a great motorcycle in bringing back the Indian brand. I am more content with this bike stock than any new bike I've ever owned. This bike is a complete joy to ride.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Make sure your putting Premium Gas in the tank. If not she will knock...Just like a Harley

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Twice a day I ride a mountain pass that has 7 very tight, almost hairpin, bends with advisory speed signs of 15mph, 20mph and 30mph. These are great motorcycle bends as they are well banked in the right direction. On previous bikes, including my most recent Gold Wing, I often scrapped the pegs leaning into the corners. After six months on my Vintage I have progressively pushed the bike around these bends harder and harder, and I have yet to scrape anything. I'm amazed not only at the ground clearance, but also how solid the bike feels under all circumstances. Even cranked well over in bends, then hitting a bump or pothole, the bike is like a rocket ship on rails. Love it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Engine noise

My engine is making a lot of ticking and clacking. It is really load and disturbing. It comes on at about 2000 rpm and stays as you slowly add more acceleration. If you just gun the hell out of it, then you don't hear it. My dealer contacted the factory but they are unwilling to let then go into the internals.
I need to know if this noise is normal. I have had HDs and I am familiar with engine noises. This engine is just really loud with the ticking and clacking. I am actually getting headaches as I ride it. It is quiet at idle and only comes on as you slowly accelerate.
Sorry to hear you have the same problem as me,and probably many more of us. I now have over 4600 miles on my 2014 Chieftain and have been complaining to dealer and factory since July and about 300 miles. Im certain the factory is aware of the problem , but must be very costly to repair. There answer is its a characteristic of the motor?? I re rode the demo bike and it DID NOT have the engine/ valve train noise my bike has.I would NEVER have purchased a bike with that kind of noise. Just rode to VA with over 500 bikes ( mostly Harley's) and everyone loved the look until they rode next to me and could not believe the valve train noise it was making. It's puzzling to me that the noise does not effect performance, but at some point I believe it will. As I have said before, those of us unlucky enough to have this problem need to band together and pressure INDIAN to make corrections and stand behind their product. Strength in unity !

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,052 Posts
Noisy engine,
Get your dealer to check the output oil pressure from the supply pump. There is a procedure for this in the service manual. The manual states that low oil pressure may cause engine noise, I'd guess because the hydraulic lifters aren't pumping up properly and are clattering. Won't really hurt anything, but noisy. Another fellow posted in another thread that he discovered his front cylinder anti-knock sensor was not plugged into it's connector; plugging it in cured the problem.
--- Randall

·
Registered
113 Posts
Had my first real ride yesterday on my Roadmaster with friends to a church dinner in western WI. I put on about 230 miles and it started at 41 deg. and ended at 54 deg.
I dressed for the cold and it did not bother me one bit. (might be due to the excitement of riding that new bike) I started out with the grip warmers at #10 and seat warmer at "low" but soon realized the grips get real HOT! Ended up running them at # 4 to #5. The seat also got very warm after awhile so I would turn it off for some time.
The bike handled beautifully through the country roads and engine was a delight! Very smooth with that nice roaring sound it produces. I am breaking this bike in so went through all the gears and only got it up to 70 mph on some open straight stretches.
Love the MFD display as it was easy to read and gave me info. that my HD never did, like the exact temp. Only problem I had was couldn't remember a couple MFD items so I read up on them when I got home.
Also, I love the adjustable windshield because when riding through a slow winding fall scenic portion or through a small town I would lower the windshield to enjoy the open view. Then I could adjust it higher as it opened up again. Only problem with this windshield was if the sun was behind me I would get these strong light reflections off the top couple edges of it.
I had highway pegs added on my initial order but they didn't work well because of their placement / angle. I am 6'4" and when using them my legs were not stretched as I would prefer but crunched so I will now look at adjusting them, hope it works out.
My backrest did not come in on my order so that was a bit uncomfortable for me so I wore a waist back support which helped.
I tested the cruise control too and it was wonderful. Much easier to disengage than my HD was with the throttle.
When I gassed up I was surprised that I couldn't put the gas nozzle into the tank! So I looked and there is a pin running in the center horizontally preventing this but the gas went in without a hitch.
The seat was very nice and comfortable, much better than my previous HD Ultra CVO. The cases were easy to open and close plus they seem so solid when closing them.
Only issue I had was the left hand grip would jiggle a little after I put on about 100 miles. I will have the dealer look into this when I take it in after 500 miles.
Looking forward to more miles to ride :)

George from Wisconsin
kulczge

1 - 11 of 11 Posts