Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Indian Motorcycle Facebook homepage:
" Are they going to make an adapter for the 2015-16 fairings?"

"Indian Motorcycle: Hello, the Ride Command System is exclusive to 2017 Chieftain and Roadmaster models."

My Comment:
Should've at least told the sales force. I discussed GPS at length with my Indian dealer when I bought my 35.000€ Chieftain in May. I asked him for all possible options. He gave zero indication, now it's a standard feature just 60 days later. If Indian Motorcycle proceeds, treating their loyal customer in that way, they will never establish their brand and compete against HD.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
892 Posts

"Indian Motorcycle: Hello, the Ride Command System is exclusive to 2017 Chieftain and Roadmaster models."

My Comment:
Should've at least told the sales force. I discussed GPS at length with my Indian dealer when I bought my 35.000€ Chieftain in May. I asked him for all possible options. He gave zero indication, now it's a standard feature just 60 days later. If Indian Motorcycle proceeds, treating their loyal customer in that way, they will never establish their brand and compete against HD.

Thanks a lot!
I agree it sucks for you, but if they'd told you (assuming they even knew) they'd have let the cat out of the bag. Let's say they were planning to be polite to loyal customers...how may bikes should they not sell beforehand? Two weeks' worth? Three? Maybe six months out, halt all sales.

I think you just bought at the wrong time man...and the last time I checked HD doesn't warn people away from sales just prior to a new release. Sorry man. And besides...look at it this way: Vehicles with Nav always date themselves quickly. In a mere 3 years the graphics, info and features are very much yesterday's news. If you have a model without it you'll use your smartphone instead...which will only ever be 2 years old or less.

Reactions: DanM

·
Bronze member
1,842 Posts
I don't know how things are done overseas, but manufactures produce new models every year. Auto makers and motorcycle. There are few exceptions, Olds Cutlass stayed the same for a long time. But there are design changes and equipment mods all the time. It is a process. Focus groups, customer demand, satisfaction surveys all lead to additions and subtractions in style and equipment. You bought in May which is near the end of the model year. Changes were being made before you bought, but not released to the dealers or the public. If GPS was that important to you, than maybe it would have been beneficial to wait 3 months for the new model release. If GPS was not offered and you bought it in Aug 2016 and it was a 2017 model without GPS you would be happy. If GPs became standard in the 2018 model year which comes out in 2017 and your bike is a year old, would you complain? No, you would trade it in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dealer told me, that he doesn't expect an integrated GPS for the next years.

I understand all comments, nevertheless they should offer an upgrade solution.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
SELL WHAT'S AVAILABLE TODAY!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sorbemca

·
Registered
483 Posts
So you bought a 2016 when the 17s where about to be announced and now you are upset you don't get what the 17 offers? There is no way Indian could NOT progress their technology. I know it sucks that you weren't informed but that is just a risk you take when you purchase anything so close to new models coming out...

·
Bronze member
2,539 Posts

Why would a company offer an upgrade solution or notify dealers of the upcoming changes? If Indian notified dealers, don't you think that would have stymied sales of 16s? I can't think of any auto or MC company that has ever offered an upgrade that would make a previous model year equivalent to a new model. Add a Garmin Zumo and be happy. If it's any consolation, I've rented HDs that have the infotainment system and my Garmin is easier to use and works better (although I do expect Ride Command to be better than the HD offering). If you use a smartphone for navigation, it'll work better also.

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,350 Posts
Conversely, I'm very pleased that I bought my 2015 red Classic before the 2016's came out, considering that they 'de-featured' that model so severely in the next model year. Kind of the opposite situation you experienced.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am waiting for the complaints about the ride command to be posted eventually.

Then we can have it all,
Why didn't they tell me about it before I bought my bike?
Why are they lowballing my trade in?
Why didn't they figure out this or that problem with ride command?

Jeeze Louise

·
Registered
2014 Vintage, 2000 Gilroy Silver Cloud,1973 Indian Dirt Bike
707 Posts

My Comment:

Thanks a lot!
dealers didn't know anything about that in May

·
Registered
13 Posts
As a recent RM owner, I too was a little bummed that I didn't wait. It's always a little disheartening when you pay a bunch for anything and then the new model has more than yours, but after a little thought I quickly got over it.

My previous '08 Goldwing had an integrated GPS and I can tell you that it was difficult and expensive to upgrade the maps. Also, you could not load your own routes. You had no choice but to sit on the bike an program it with a slow crappy user interface. Admittedly, my Goldwing was several years old and maybe the new Indian system is better than the Honda's, but it's still part of the bike. If it goes bad or something better comes along, you're pretty much stuck with it. I'll go out on a limb and say that if it takes a dump after warranty, you'll pay more to replace the integrated unit than a stand alone.

I have added a Garmin Zumo with Indian's Ram mount and consider it a far better unit than the one on the Goldwing. Also, I can use it my car or I can carry into a rest stop if I want to load a new route while on the road. I feel it's a lot more bang for the buck.

Mike

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

My Comment:

Thanks a lot!
The sales force is usually kept in the dark. Matter of fact our GM found out at the dealer meeting. Buy a map

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

If they did, they'd be stuck with the same support structure in antiquated gear. Doing so can lead to problems, shortcomings in updates (due to code/mechanical shortcomings), and expenses in providing support for gear no longer supported by vendors. Anything having to do with technology such as the GPS doesn't sit still from year to year. My phone received no less than five updates this year just on the GPS map software.

·
Registered
892 Posts
If they did, they'd be stuck with the same support structure in antiquated gear. Doing so can lead to problems, shortcomings in updates (due to code/mechanical shortcomings), and expenses in providing support for gear no longer supported by vendors. Anything having to do with technology such as the GPS doesn't sit still from year to year. My phone received no less than five updates this year just on the GPS map software.
Excellent point! Just get a good phone mount sheesh...will be much more timeless.

·
Bronze member
2,539 Posts
The MC industry seems to lag few yrs behind the auto industry. Just as we're starting to see an integrated GPS in bikes, the auto industry is going towards technology like Apple Car Play. Hang on to that 15 or 16 RM/Chieftain and buy the next generation of technology. HDs Infotainment system and Ride Command will be outdated in two yrs.

·
Bronze member
1,620 Posts
The only way I would jump at a 2016 now would be if they were $6-$7 K under sticker. The majority of the buyers and the sellers don't wait 2 years for the next tech to come out. They want it now. Hard to buy obsolescence.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My personal opinion is that the new system looks terrible; but that's just me. Prefer the look of the dash on my 2016 RM.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My personal opinion is that the new system looks terrible; but that's just me. Prefer the look of the dash on my 2016 RM.
Agreed. I like riding motorcycles, not my TV. Looks like you're lugging around your TV on your bike.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts