Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The FTR is a niche bike. And several people on here keep trying to compare it to super naked twins and other high performance sport nakeds.

But it’s not a super naked bike nor is it meant to compete with cheap jap bikes.

Here are some stats of bikes in ITS category that are similarly equipped.

-BMW R9T 110rwhp 490lbs $15k
-Triumph 1200 scrambler 80rwhp 452lbs $14k
-Ducati 1100 scrambler sport 80rwhp 452lbs $15k
-Ducati 1200 monster 130rwhp 465lbs $17.5k
-Indian FTR1200s 110rwhp 507lbs $14.5k

There are other bikes in its category, these are the more popular ones. But you get the gist. Similar weight, similar power curves, similar price, similar features. Not so similar maintenance and part costs though.

It’s also very easy to shave 30lbs off the ftr, the other bikes not so much.

Edit- if you’re new to the forum and reading this. No reason to sift through the comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,545 Posts
Your description of the FTR immediately made me think of the HD V-Rod. A very nice bike, great engine, but a dud on the sales floor from the get-go. HD kept the V-Rod on life support as long as they could, but the numbers never materialized. The V-Rod didn’t fit into any class of bike either. To me, the FTR seems to be competing with the naked sport class (because that’s what it most resembles re: riding position, looks, etc.) and not the street scramblers. I’m afraid if the FTR isn’t selling, it’ll be IM’s V-Rod. I can’t think of any new bike (or vehicle) introduced that had tepid sales initially and later became a good seller. For the record, I think the FTR is a great looking bike and has outstanding curb appeal.

·
Rider
1,154 Posts
A V-Rod.... that’s a low slung power cruiser... ?‍♂
And it had very strong sales in Europe and is still very sought after there for customisation projects. It was only a dud with regards to the purist scoffers and scorners and sales figures your side of the pond.

·
Bronze member
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL

Indian thinks it is a nake sport bike.

Go to 2:30, they actually mention the bikes by name.

Thank you for confirming my point “we got to rip against Ducati, ktm, bmw”

They didn’t mention the sport bikes they make. They referenced the brands that make them. The bench marks were some of the bikes I posted from those brands. Ktm made and makes more street bikes than just the big super naked super duke btw.

naked sport bike and super naked bikes are two different things.

“We wanted to make an amazing street bike” was a good line.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The FTR is a niche bike. And several people on here keep trying to compare it to super naked twins and other high performance sport nakeds.

But it’s not a super naked bike nor is it meant to compete with cheap jap bikes.

Here are some stats of bikes in ITS category that are similarly equipped.

-BMW R9T 110rwhp 490lbs $15k
-Triumph 1200 scrambler 80rwhp 452lbs $14k
-Ducati 1100 scrambler sport 80rwhp 452lbs $15k
-Ducati 1200 monster 130rwhp 465lbs $17.5k
-Indian FTR1200s 110rwhp 507lbs $14.5k

There are other bikes in its category, these are the more popular ones. But you get the gist. Similar weight, similar power curves, similar price, similar features. Not so similar maintenance and part costs though.

It’s also very easy to shave 30lbs off the ftr, the other bikes not so much.

Couldn't agree with you more... well said!

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Great post... to me, the FTR is mostly a new version of a UJM.. as are the other bikes listed here as its comparison..
in the "class" listed here, the FTR Is quite competitive, even superior in someways.
I like that it's got a slightly different flair than the others and does not "class" so obviously.. but,,it also may be what may hurt it via folks that try to put into a category it doesn't belong in, and thus comparing it to them...

·
Bronze member
2,545 Posts
It boils down to sales...and it seems that’s the problem. Why? The FTR is suffering an identity crisis, IMO. If it looks like a sport bike, that’s the way people are going to view it.

·
Rider
1,191 Posts
A different perspective, perhaps, on how or why we label the FTR...

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen. Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.

The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"

"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here here! Excellent post. The bike has sold to my expectations, but my expectations are different than Indian's. I figured there would be a handful of people who 'get' the bike and for whom it's perfect...most of those people have their bikes already. The guys who need to have a class label for their bike or to show their buddies how far they can pee won't 'get' it and that's ok.

·
Registered
679 Posts
great description and write up
if you really want to call it anything I'd say it's an upright naked or naked bike
some may feel it is sportier than others.
I'd leave the word 'sports' out of it cause it just confuses people.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts