Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing about this loop and want to get on the road to check it out! Everyone I have heard talk about it says that it is an epic ride with loads of twists and turns.

The 1431 headed out to Marble Falls is pretty fun as it is, I can only imagine what the sisters have in store.

We should try to get a ride organized!

·
Registered
309 Posts
All,
I called the top 3 B&B's in Frederickburg and they were booked up solid. Each said that April is the busest month of the year. I've stayed at the EconoLodge before and although its not a B&B the rooms are huge and they have a continetial breakfast. The coffee is hot and the rolls good. I called and spoke with Rodger the owner this morning and got us a rate of $69 per night Thursday and leaving Sunday. The regular rate is $109 per Friday-Sat, but you need to reserve by Sunday night to get the rate (1 nights stay will hold your room). When calling say Rodger OKed the price. 830-990-2777. and let them know your booking with the Texas Indian Riders.

We have aound 10 riders and their wives coming so far.

Fredericksburg TX Hotels - Econo Lodge Near National Museum of Pacific War

If anyone can come up with a design for a patch I can get them made.

Thanks all,
Mark

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,883 Posts
I just want to know .. did they clone a sister? how'd they go from 3 to 4?

·
Registered
160 Posts
For mapping purposes, the 3 Sisters are Ranch Road(s) 335,336.and 337. Not really Tail of the Dragon stuff, but great riding with hills, curves, sweepers and hairpins.Southwest a few miles from Kerrville. Jefe

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
I just want to know .. did they clone a sister? how'd they go from 3 to 4?
You beat me to it Rick, I was going to ask the same! LOL!

I live about 250 miles from this area and it and the Big Bend area are my favorite Texas rides.
About the same distance too!
My daughter lives in Sonora Texas about 1/2 way to the sisters ride and it breaks up the long ride to the area.
I usually spend the night at her house and leave early the next morning. Free breakfast too! LOL!
I usually stay at Bandera when I am in the area for a weekend.

Bandera has the OST cafe in central area of town it is a real OLD cowboy restaurant, OST is short for "Old Spanish Trail"!
Probably the oldest cafe in Texas the has been continuously owned.

Another place I have stayed many times in the past is in Junction which is the gateway to the "Sisters" located on interstate 20!
In the summer plan your reservations well in advance for rooms.

This area is swarming with motorcycles and car clubs all summer long needing rooms.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have driven them before. You won't be disappointed. I thought it was "the three sisters". I'm going to be bummed out if I have been missing out on one of them.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Wow, you guys have gotten me all psyched up again. Was in the Texas Hill Country a number of years ago on my BMW for a BMW rally - Fredericksburg, PA. To Fredericksburg, TX. LONG RIDE but I loved the Hill Country and want to get back badly! The question is, can I make it on a Scout. Very tempting! :cool:

·
10,006 Posts
The question is, can I make it on a Scout. Very tempting! :cool:
Why not? The motorcycle is probably capable in spades!

When your not on the twisty roads, in Fredericksburg (TX) be sure and set aside the time to spend a LOT of time in the Admiral Nimitz museum in the downtown area.
Absolutely amazing museum!

German restaurants abound in numbers!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Why not? The motorcycle is probably capable in spades!

German restaurants abound in numbers!
Ronnie, perhaps I should have said "am I capable?" HA! :rolleyes: Man, just looked it up and it was 17 years ago that I was in Texas. Time flies too quickly. Yeah, with a few options (windshield and bags) the Scout is certainly capable. AND back then I had limited time off work so I did my first 'thousand mile day" and then 550 the next. I would definitely take a lot more time to smell the roses now and that would make the ride a lot more doable for me.

As far as the German restaurants, that's one of the MANY things that got me psyched about the Hill Country. My home in Fredericksburg, PA is right in the midst of Pennsylvania German Country and I was excited to hear that Fredericksburg TX also was in the middle of a big German area. We did hundreds of miles of fantastic roads but had actually not heard of the "3 Sisters" so that's a major "must do" for me. Both Fredericksburgs are fantastic motorcycling destinations but different enough to make it super exciting.
Enjoy your Scout!

·
10,006 Posts
Ronnie, perhaps I should have said "am I capable?" HA!

Gorden I'm 73 years old now, and I'm thinking about slowing down a 'little' myself!

UPDATE: I'm now 75 and still riding the 3 sisters at least once a year sometimes 2 times.
Of course no one is going to read this two years later..... very old thread now!

·
Registered
268 Posts
While the "Sisters" are a great ride, I also highly recommend Hwy 39 from just west of Ingram, through Hunt and along the Guadalupe River. There are a few river crossings which can be wet after a rain. Go left (south) on 187 and past Lost Maples State Natural Area and the Lonestar Motorcycle Museum, then go right (west) on 337 to Leakey (pronounced "Lakey"). Good road and scenery, nice curves, not a lot of traffic, and good food and drink options when reaching Leakey. Then, after lunch, go ride the Sisters.

Sometimes there's a photographer on one of the curves in the hills of 377 who shoots photos which you can order on line.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts