Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was 1996 in Atlanta, I was 8 visiting my dad (a Harley guy) and saw a beautiful 1940's red Indian Chief at the Braves stadium. Never cared about motorcycles until I saw that beautiful warhead bonnet on that swooping front fender. It was then I knew my dream vehicle was an Indian Chief.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
488 Posts
The first time I ever saw an Indian motorcycle in "real life" rather than in photos was in 2006 at the Guggenheim Museum's traveling "Art of the Motorcycle" exhibit when it appeared at the Orlando Museum in Florida. That big-fendered Indian literally took my breath away, as it was truly a thing of beauty. Burgundy in color with hand-painted pinstripes. It was gorgeous. I never would have thought I'd have the chance to own one of my own.......but I'm glad I was wrong about that.

·
Drag me down and let me burn forever!
2016 Chief DH Stage II
773 Posts
when i walked into Iron Pony (Columbus, OH) back in maybe 2015-16. I realllllly wanted a Scout shortly after I bought my Sportster but grew out of that frame size as a rider, rather quickly. i then wanted a Chieftain but couldn't find one in my price range within 250 miles of me. ended up with a Chief DH with accessories and have been very happy with it.

·
Rider
1,148 Posts
Never saw an older one. First one was at Scotsdale Indian, saw a silver and black 2016 Roadmaster. Headed back home to Canada and called a dealer. Rest is 53,000 kms of history.

--
Gordon

·
Rider
1,008 Posts
Was at the Angel City Fall Rally Oct. '13. There was a '14 Chieftain in Springfield Blue in the bike show. Thought it was the most gorgeous bike I had seen till I saw the Thunder Black. Bought mine in March '14
Resized_20190614_105224_6233.jpeg

·
Bronze Member
1,701 Posts
Around 1967 - 1968 when I saw my uncles 1947 Yellow and White Chief Roadmaster. I was three or four years old. That hooked me right there. He sold it a year or two after that. I wish that he would have kept it long enough for me to buy it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The first Indian I saw was along time ago, like 60 + yrs ago. I was hanging with my friend Danny when I looked across the field at an old guys house. What caught my eye was the Studebakers in his yard and the black and gold Hawk that was his daily driver. Then I saw the rusty old contraption leaning against his garage. I had to get a better look and when he saw me approach I wasn't sure if he was going to chase me off. Turned out to be a great old guy, he talked my head off. I asked about the bike and he said it was an Indian 4 banger. He said he bought new out of Chicago. He was injured in the second world war and couldn't ride anymore. The side of the bike leaning against the wall still had paint on it and Indian on the tank. That's the first I remember. Later when I got to know my Uncle Bill he told me stories of riding around the country and raising hell with his buddy. He rode a Harley and his pal rode an Indian. This was before the great depression. He said they raced all the time. Never said who won so I assume it was the Indian.

·
Registered
371 Posts
1967 while in high school, I found a 1946 Indian Chief sitting in a dirt field a couple of miles out of town, borrowed $100.00 from my father and bought it.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Trail Of Tears ride, think it was September ‘13, Indian demo truck was at one of the stops at Florence AL.
Only other Indian motorcycles I knew of were the originals because my dad had one when he was a teenager.

Reactions: Hearseguy

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
The first time I ever saw an Indian was when I was little and watching a cowboy and indians movie,but forgot which tribe he belonged to!! lol lol I know,I know!! There's one in every crowd and here I am!! :rolleyes: :giggle:

Anyways, all kidding a side,when I was little back in the late 40's ,early 50's,my folks liked to go to carnivals and fairs when they came into the area.So naturally,there were always rides to go on and games to play,just like today.And on many occassions,those guys who used to operate those rides and games used to follow em around to earn extra money and usually drove two wheelers,and most of em back then were either HD's or Indians and were equipped with the suicide shifter and foot clutch.But that was a looooooooooooooooooong time ago.But, even today,and on occassion,you'll see one of those older models with the suicide shift and foot clutch drivin on the highway or in a rest area.Actually,I've seen quite a few of em over the years and they always amaze me.But would I wanna ride one?? Nope!! lol lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts