Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DGR.png
Hello everyone worldwide,

Not sure if you know about “The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride” or DGR in short or how you feel about it, but since 3 years, I’m a big supporter and participant with my “other bike”, the Bonneville T100 with sidecar.

My first one was in 2016 in Chicago and then 2017 and last year I participated in the much smaller and more family-style ride in Indianapolis, where my son lives who is riding - as in the past years - his 1973 BMW R75/5.

It’s all for a very good cause: Men’s mental health and prostate cancer research and last year for over 115,000 gentlefolks on classic and vintage bikes, in 648 cities in 101 countries, at precisely 11 AM local time, it was kickstand up and the rides began.

This year it’s Sunday, September 29 – same procedure as every year. 11 AM is kickstands up.

Here’s the link to the official 2018 DGR Global Wrap Up video with amazing pictures from last year’s rides from all over the world.

Worldwide we ride on the 29th.

If you have a Dollar or two (or more) to spare, please click on the link below to my fundraiser page.

All donations are accepted with the same enthusiastic relish no matter the size.

Do it for your uncles, your brothers, your fathers and friends. Donate what you can, for their lives need not end!

Thank you so much in advance, -Gert, the Indian Scout 60 JoyRider

Please click here to learn more and also donate:

Gert Semler

·
Silver member
3,204 Posts
Hi Gert,
This will be my first year participating, and I'm looking forward to our Phoenix ride on my Willow Green Vintage.
I anticipate this will be a yearly event for me.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you'll love it - I got hooked 3 rides ago :) our only (possible) problem here in the midwest, and so far we got really lucky, is the weather end of September. Right now it looks like it will be a sunny day in Indy with a high of 78. Can't beat that :D - Phoenix is having a sunny day, too with a balmy high of 97 :D Enjoy the ride and stay hydrated ;)

·
Rider
951 Posts
I contacted the organization about what bikes are actually acceptable for the ride. They replied that ONLY Scout bobbers and the FTR are acceptable Indian motorcycles to join the rides. All others are considered cruisers and are not welcome to participate. The reason I contacted them is because my IMRG wanted to participate as we thought this was a good cause. Needless to say this left a bit of a bitter taste in our mouths. There is another thread on this forum about this ride. In that thread one of the organizers had his rights to organize a DGR event revoked because he was accepting all Indian motorcycles. Go figure! For a charity ride they are not very inclusive!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I signed up for the Tampa Bay ride, my first one. I didn't ask if my Dark Horse was eligible. But I am looking forward to it.

·
Founding member
477 Posts
This is my first year on this ride. I'll be joining the Eugene, Oregon group- riding my Scout.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Seems like all street bikes should be allowed ....I mean it's for charity. I'm not going to buy a third bike because my other two don't qualify

·
Rider
951 Posts
The latest response from the DGR. I asked them why I see a number of Harley cruisers in the event on YouTube videos I have watched. Here is their answer.

Unfortunately any bike that does not fit the style guide ie. cruisers, dirt bikes, sports bikes do not fit in the style guide and pose a risk to the longevity of the event. We try to keep the ride at manageable numbers hence why we keep it as niche as possible. If we opened up the event to all bike types it would quickly become unmanageable and we would not get approval from major cities to ride through in such numbers.

That being said there is always a few who don’t follow the style guide and show up on whatever bike they have. We try very hard to make sure none of those bikes are featured on our socials as I mentioned above, we try to keep it to the niche market.

There are a number of former cruisers however that have been modified to fit the style guide. Potentially someone has pushed them to bobber/tracker or even cafe racer. We welcome that sort of creativity and in that case a bike that initially did not fit the style guide is welcome with open arms.

I hope this doesn’t taint your vision of DGR. Please understand that it is just to do with the size of the event. I personally don’t have a bike to participate in DGR. I only have dual sport bikes but I will be driving a support vehicle and helping out my fellow rider!

If you would like I can put you in contact with your local ride host as there may be plenty of volunteer positions still available, and DGR runs on its volunteers!

So there you have it. I actually kind of understand the logic behind the event getting to big. However the size of some of the groups I have seen on YouTube cannot be just the style of bike they accept.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know what to say to this. In 2016 in Chicago we had some late Harleys as well as a handful of crotch rockets. In Indy we had at least at one time, besides a couple Harleys, a beautiful willow green Vintage. If that's not a "modern classic", then what is LOL? The Morgan 3 Wheeler is the real odd bird in that group, but nobody really cares. Everybody is dressed properly and its the spirit that counts.
For your uncles, your brothers, your fathers and friends. Donate what you can, for their lives need not end!
Gert Semler
IMG_5733.JPG
IMG_5730.JPG
IMG_5730.JPG

·
Rider
551 Posts
IMG_3562.JPG
If the Slingshot had been retro similar to this with the beautiful ThunderStoke 111 on the front end I wonder how many more they would’ve sold

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very cool Joseph! Enjoy the ride, stay dapper and always keep the rubber side down :)

·
Bronze member
1,336 Posts
Yeah yeah, riiiiiiight. They don't want this thing to "get too big", huh?!

Funny, but I've always gotten the impression that the REAL reason they didn't and don't want cruiser (read: mainly Harley) riders participating in this thing was because they didn't want "distinguished gentlemen" such as Lee Marvin here shown in that Brando flick participating in this thing...

LOL

(...nope, and 'cause it MIGHT turn out to be somethin' akin to having the Rockers and the Mods gettin' together in Jolly Ole England back in the day...and I think anyone well-versed in the history of motorcycle culture knows how THAT often turned out, RIGHT?!!!)

LOL...some more now

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts
The latest response from the DGR. I asked them why I see a number of Harley cruisers in the event on YouTube videos I have watched. Here is their answer.

Unfortunately any bike that does not fit the style guide ie. cruisers, dirt bikes, sports bikes do not fit in the style guide and pose a risk to the longevity of the event. We try to keep the ride at manageable numbers hence why we keep it as niche as possible. If we opened up the event to all bike types it would quickly become unmanageable and we would not get approval from major cities to ride through in such numbers.

That being said there is always a few who don’t follow the style guide and show up on whatever bike they have. We try very hard to make sure none of those bikes are featured on our socials as I mentioned above, we try to keep it to the niche market.

There are a number of former cruisers however that have been modified to fit the style guide. Potentially someone has pushed them to bobber/tracker or even cafe racer. We welcome that sort of creativity and in that case a bike that initially did not fit the style guide is welcome with open arms.

I hope this doesn’t taint your vision of DGR. Please understand that it is just to do with the size of the event. I personally don’t have a bike to participate in DGR. I only have dual sport bikes but I will be driving a support vehicle and helping out my fellow rider!

If you would like I can put you in contact with your local ride host as there may be plenty of volunteer positions still available, and DGR runs on its volunteers!

So there you have it. I actually kind of understand the logic behind the event getting to big. However the size of some of the groups I have seen on YouTube cannot be just the style of bike they accept.
get to the back of the bus damn it.. oh and please bring me some coffee when you come to the front... and the FTR qualifies... BS

·
Bronze member
1,336 Posts
Gotta say, and while yes I agree this ride IS for a good cause, that whole "exclusion of cruiser riders" thing reminds me of the time I asked a member of the "Brit Iron Rebels" club in SoCal for the reason I wouldn't be welcomed into their little fold because I was riding a Triumph Bonneville America.

(…YOU know, that Triumph cruiser model that all "REAL" British motorcycle riders think of as a "bastardized American-styled mongrel")

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
I've seen reports of cruiser riders being excluded, but since they are individually organized, that's originally an individual event restriction. I can't find anything on the official site with those restrictions.....

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
It's a club like event. And clubs/charities have rules in order to distinguish it from other clubs/charities... pretty simple stuff really.. granted, its why I don't do clubs or group rides regardless of the cause.
I support charities. If it's a MC centric ride and my equipment doesn't fit, so beit, I'll give the charity some bucks, and go ride.. just like I would even if no charity or club is attached..
I'm not sad about it, just happy to ride a bike, and be charitable and happy there are others who ride, and are charitable..
And let's be honest, there are million "cruiser"/American/V-twin centric charity group rides available for those that don't fit in here..
Cheers.

·
Silver member
3,204 Posts
I admit that I'm confused about people who are stating that an Indian Vintage is not allowed. If my Vintage is not a vintage then what is a vintage? If you check out pictures of previous rides you will definitely see a few. Here are a few screenshots from the DGR website.
Screenshot_20190919-113758_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190919-113820_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190919-113900_Chrome.jpg

·
Bronze member
1,336 Posts
Question:

Now, even though I don't sport a handlebar mustache, do you guys think I'd be welcomed at this event if I rode in on my Brough Superior SS100 or maybe even my Vincent Black Shadow?

Naaaah, I only WISH I had one of those babies!

AND which now reminds me...

At last year's Hansen Dam British meet and ride in SoCal, I once again ran into Jay Leno while walking around and looking over all the cool as hell older and newer (and not necessarily British) motorcycles the attendees had ridden in on, and now days numbering about 1200 strong in attendance by mostly "distinguished gentlemen".

We started talking and I told Jay I didn't see what motorcycle he rode in this year. And so we walked over a short distance to where he had parked his Brough Superior SS100 that he had ridden in on and I began looking it over.

While gazing (and pretty much drooling) upon it, I turned to him and said, "Now, you have another Brough in your collect too don't ya, Jay? An SS80, right?!

Jay replied, "Actually, I have five Broughs", and to which I then replied back in mock surprise, "Wow, these babies are goin' for big big bucks lately. How could you possibly afford all of 'em?"

(…he chuckled and said with a wink, "Yeah, right. I'm a lucky SOB, ain't I?!")

1 - 20 of 57 Posts