Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Which oil do you use in your Chieftain?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our members asked me to start “the definitive oil thread” for Chieftains. He didn’t want to get egged and he knows how much you guys love oil threads, so he asked to remain anonymous. The main thing is just to do a poll and find out what his fellow Chieftain riders are using. I have included the biggies but have left a spot for “other.” If you use something else, give us a post saying what and why. We don’t want this to be a battle, so don’t feel compelled to justify your brand if it’s already listed. We of course realize that the same oil for Chieftains can be used for other Indians, but my brother is interested in just Chieftains.

·
Rider
973 Posts
I'm using Driven HD 15w50 full synthetic oil for air cooled V-Twins, they claim to be using the new mPAO technology in the oil, as long as it's high temp full synthetic I feel confident it's fine for the Thunder Stroke 111, the engine runs mechanically quiet and seems to be happy.

·
Bronze member
1,948 Posts
Chevron Delo 15W40. The old version, which I stocked up on before they changed the formulation. I would switch to Rotella currently as the additiive package is better than the "new" Delo. FWIW

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm using Driven HD 15w50 full synthetic oil for air cooled V-Twins, they claim to be using the new mPAO technology in the oil, as long as it's high temp full synthetic I feel confident it's fine for the Thunder Stroke 111, the engine runs mechanically quiet and seems to be happy.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
I've never heard of this brand, who makes "Driven" oil?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Rider
973 Posts
I've never heard of this brand, who makes "Driven" oil?

·
German Rider
1,488 Posts
Motul 20W-50 fully Synth.

Cu,
Sven

Reactions: MRGUB and HINK

·
Registered
36 Posts
My first two oil changes I did with the Indian semi synthetic (500 miles then 1000 miles)...now at 2500 miles I’m switching to Amsoil 20w50 V Twin full synthetic. I can’t find locally the 20w40 so I’m going up to the much easier to find 20w50...Oh and going to the 6 quarts for my 2019 instead of the 5.5. My bike is the later build with the longer dip stick and no chrome ring at the dip stick hole. If you never heard of the oil capacity change search the forum it’s on here.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
I used that in my 750hp Camaro and it seemed like good stuff when coupled with good filtration. Nice choice!

Reactions: HINK and Kost

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
One of our members asked me to start “the definitive oil thread” for Chieftains. He didn’t want to get egged and he knows how much you guys love oil threads, so he asked to remain anonymous.
Obviously we now need another poll of who we think this anonymous person really is. :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
In talking about all these different synthetic oils, some seem like they might be hard to find if you were on a long trip. Say you're 2000 miles from home and need an oil change, which shouldn't be hard to predict, but would something like Driven be one you could find if you needed to? I don't like mixing brands or bouncing around between different oils. Just a concern I might have with one of these that seems not too well known to me.

·
Administrator
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Obviously we now need another poll of who we think this anonymous person really is.
Hey — it ain’t me! I‘m on a Roadmaster ( I said hastily)

some seem like they might be hard to find if you were on a long trip
which is why I use Amsoil if I’m taking a long one — good up to 10,000 mi per trip. And if you’re going longer than that, hit the nearest Indian dealer and just use Indian oil to get home (not many trips are longer than 15k mi.)

Said the guy in a Roadmaster on a Chieftain thread....

( but hey — they’re both the same engine, ya?}

·
Administrator
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And let me stress that I am not shilling for Amsoil. Some of the other oils (Mobil 1 in particular) probly are good up to the 10k mi mark as well. It’s just that one of my riding buds (Harley) gets a discount on Amsoil so that’s the one I’ve used on long trips with my RM. Between trips I use the Indian oil. I used Mobil 1 on my goldwing and changed oil once or twice a year — worked fine.

·
Administrator
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Motul 20W-50 fully Synth.

Cu,
Sven
I almost included Motul since I know some cafe racer guys and Moto Guzzi drivers who swear by it — seems to have a great reputation. But I had never heard it applied to an Indian — no posts etc so I left it out. Good to know they make a version we can use!

And that’s why this forum is so good. And also why we need that damn “informative” button back...

·
German Rider
1,488 Posts
Motul 7100 4T
20W-50
Is the exact selling name over here. It will comply or exceeds all Indian specifications.

Reactions: HINK

·
Registered
364 Posts
And let me stress that I am not shilling for Amsoil. Some of the other oils (Mobil 1 in particular) probly are good up to the 10k mi mark as well. It’s just that one of my riding buds (Harley) gets a discount on Amsoil so that’s the one I’ve used on long trips with my RM. Between trips I use the Indian oil. I used Mobil 1 on my goldwing and changed oil once or twice a year — worked fine.
So you go back and forth between brands?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts