Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how many of you Chief Vintage owners have a scary clunk in your rear suspension? At slow speed over bumps and holes the rear suspension make a loud clunking sound, you also hear it when you take off. No it is not the shock bottoming out! It rides great and it has been adjusted to stiff. It clunks with the suspension soft and stiff. The bike is in the shop right now and my mechanic is GREAT, but he says Indian is not being helpful on this. Is this a chronic problem with other Chiefs? This is actually my wife's bike, my Chieftain does not have this problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So how many of you Chief Vintage owners have a scary clunk in your rear suspension? At slow speed over bumps and holes the rear suspension make a loud clunking sound, you also hear it when you take off. No it is not the shock bottoming out! It rides great and it has been adjusted to stiff. It clunks with the suspension soft and stiff. The bike is in the shop right now and my mechanic is GREAT, but he says Indian is not being helpful on this. Is this a chronic problem with other Chiefs? This is actually my wife's bike, my Chieftain does not have this problem.
I have a clunk at slow speed when I hit one particular parking lot entrance that is pretty rough but that is the only place I have had it.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
2014 Classic with ZERO problems and no clunk................this somehow does not sound swing arm related or else it would be doing it on the road when at higher speeds also

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Check the pin that goes through the top of shock, mine is loose in frame and makes a clunk sound sometimes . To check it raise rear wheel off ground, remove left side cover locate pin in frame and raise and lower wheel, you will see it move in frame....:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I used to have a clicking noise, but wouldn't call it a clunk. When I updated my Vintage with a air shock I found that the roller bearings around the quick release rocker pin were a little oily but had no bearing grease on them. I repacked the roller bearings with grease and have since, had no more noise.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
My 2015 Chief Classic had the clunk when rear shock would top out. It was the upper shock fastener that had play. This was mostly when riding solo with naked bike. When I added bags with stuff in them and the rear passenger backrest it almost never did it. I don't know if Indian ever fixed the issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My 2015 Chief Classic had the clunk when rear shock would top out. It was the upper shock fastener that had play. This was mostly when riding solo with naked bike. When I added bags with stuff in them and the rear passenger backrest it almost never did it. I don't know if Indian ever fixed the issue.
Sounds like my deal, the dealer has it now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used to have a clicking noise, but wouldn't call it a clunk. When I updated my Vintage with a air shock I found that the roller bearings around the quick release rocker pin were a little oily but had no bearing grease on them. I repacked the roller bearings with grease and have since, had no more noise.
I betcha that will be the deal. One guy said he thought it was the roller bearings.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My 2014 Vintage has a terrible "CLUNK" when riding solo and going over a bump, I have it adjusted for 2 up. Dealer tells me it is normal, it sure upsets me sounds like the back end is falling off.
It is a royal pain to adjust the shock each time switching from solo to 2 up so I leave it set for 2 up.

Rawhide

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yep. I got the clunk. At first I thought it was the kick stand springing out on bumps but recently I figured it to be the rear suspension topping out, or extending out all the way. I did notice this winter while doing all the upgrades the rear suspension being what I consider to be pretty soft. I'd like to have the initial issue (clunking) determined before I decide if I want to upgrade to an air shock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well we have the bike back and no answer from Indian except," that is the way it is supposed to be"! My Tech says it is safe, soooo, We will just ignore it! Like a few of you have said, it doesn't happen all the time. My tech showed me the slop between the frame hole and the shock toggle pin. It is to spec sooooo, that is that! We still love our bikes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts