Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

The Challenger

13K views 93 replies 39 participants last post by  .3578 
#1 ·
See less See more
#5 ·
It's will be the size of a Chiftain and weight in at around 800lbs...

#10 ·
I wouldn't consider that bike a bigger Scout...

It's huge like Chieftain...

Oh, and with my riding style, going 130 miles on a tank is no problem...

I'd be worried driving from point A and knowing that the next stop won't be for another 140 miles though...

#11 ·
In case you missed it...

View attachment 525674
The First Look At The Indian Challenger We Almost Missed

From what I can see, the gas tank and engine look almost identical just bigger.
Due to C.A.R.B. certification manufacturers are nearly forced into using existing (or a different divisions, this case Victory) engines to keep up with demands from the public for something new and "fresh".
Otherwise it takes YEARS to bring an entirely new engine and platform to market.

#14 · (Edited)
Looks like it's going to be pulling inspiration from a few of Polaris' best designs. The frame appears to be a cast aluminum modular design like the Scout/Octane/Vision and the Powerplus 108 appears to be a hybrid of the Scout/Octane engine and the Victory Freedom 106. It's 60-degree and liquid cooled like the Scout/Octane but it's SOHC like the Freedom 106. What's really cool and appears to be unique to the Powerplus 108 is that, at least according to the patent, the camshafts can be removed without disassembling the rocker arms/valvetrain, that's going to make this a very appealing low stress platform for amateur hot rodders and means that Indian's "120 HP stock" baseline will absolutely have plenty of headroom for tuning. That is the approach to engineering and design that earned Victory their reputation as a performance oriented brand and is the evidence we've been waiting for that Polaris have not abandoned that pursuit with Indian's cruiser line. Personally I'm looking right past the fairing, the fuel tank size, and the bag design, this engine is the big news and it might just be the platform that wins back the Victory faithful.

#16 ·
It's architecture is definitely scout based in its Theory.. as it should be. Because it's architecture should really be regarded as "Modern engineering" instead of Scout based since the basis of the Scout Is simply a Modern engineered bike, in vintage clothes..

Oh, and on the tank fitting on it?
Give it up.
Ain't happening with out severe modification that would likely bring to capacity down to the level of "pointless endeavor"
The scouts tank is large in size, but small in capacity to fit over the frame and it's intake bits.. the challenger seems to have most of that stuff on the side.. so would like have to re engineer the whole bottom side of tank which, would hurt it's capacity majorly.
Going long distance on a Scout in very rural area? Bring a supplement tank. Doing that a lot? You have the wrong bike...

#24 ·
Going long distance on a Scout in very rural area? Bring a supplement tank. Doing that a lot? You have the wrong bike...
We'll have to agree to disagree on that. Not everyone is capable of holding up a taller, 800lb+ bike all the time but they still want the touring capability. This is something I'm working towards with mods that most every Scout owner will be able to afford. Probably my largest expense in this endeavor is going to be the tank.

As far as it being a larger Scout, from a styling perspective it looks more like a Victory Road Glide with Indian branding, so a far cry from the retro-deco look of the Scout.

#17 ·
Based on early reporting and pictures to-date there is nothing about the Challenger that appeals to me so far whereas I can speak to a multitude of things that appeal to me about the scout. If it's a "bigger scout" then it's just a sheep in wolfs clothing.

#18 ·
Opinions don't have to make sense to others..I get that... but how does that even make sense to you? You like the Scout and find it appealing.. but don't find a larger, more comfortable more capable "scout" appealing? As I read it, that's basically what your saying...

#27 · (Edited)
Sure the motor in it looks quite a bit like a Scout's motor, as both are fin-less water-cooled V-Twins.

And, while I know some round here poo-poo the whole idea of a water-cooled motorcycle engine that sports air-cooling fins such as Triumph's latest Bonneville line-up has as being "fake", I STILL say a motorcycle engine that's out there for all the world to see and that's not covered up by a lot of bodywork AND that does NOT sport fins, is a lot less aesthetically pleasing AND lot less "interesting" to gaze upon.

(...nope, I doubt I'd be gazing upon this Challenger's motor for those few seconds once I'd hop off it and like I constantly find myself doing after hopping off my Springfield sportin' all that gorgeous finning on that Thunderstroke 111)

#35 ·
That and the damned aging process made me trade in a nice 2015 Chieftain for a new 2019 Scout Icon Series. I'm getting used to the new Scout pretty quickly. Not quite the Cadillac ride I once had but I knew and expected that from a smaller lighter machine. The trade-off is a much easier to back up and maneuver bike with a fantastic power to weight ratio which makes it a real hoot to ride.

#41 ·
The announce date most likely will be October 8th.

Why you say.

At the dealer meetings they said the Challenger would be unveiled in October.

Indian this month released the 2020 Scout the first week of Sept on a Tuesday

The heavyweights were announced the second week of Sept on a Tuesday.

Last week Adam Sandoval released the 30 day 2020 countdown.

That video was released last week and 30 days is right around October 8 which is a Tuesday.

The Challenger has a 108 engine October 8 is 10-8 or 108

Indian did a similar thing last year with a FTR teaser video with a building that said 103. The bike was unveiled October 3 or 103

#47 ·
Fear of the PC police I assume.

I like Apache...

Reactions: Lu
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.