Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My purchasing dealer is booked until the middle of next month to do the 500-mile service. At the rate I'm going, I'll hit that mileage and will end up pouting by myself in the garage while the final leg of the MN riding season passes by.

This is my first Indian but typically the break-in service involves an oil change and a detailed inspection. As long as I keep record of the oil purchase, would it be possible for me to get the oil changed and leave the rest to the dealership when the time comes?

How flexible is Indian on self-service when it comes to warranty? I wouldn't think they would be harsh but I'd better ask instead of assume.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,628 Posts
I did mine during the inital covid lockdowns. I've done all the service since. It's been easy since everything was within spec. I think the most important part for the 500 is the oil change followed by belt, clutch, and battery inspections. The service manual does a good job explaining what to check.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My dealer couldn’t get me in either. I had a trip planned and my service advisor told me to take my trip anyway. I would have about 3000 miles afterwards, but wasn’t gonna do that. So, get an oil change kit from my dealer, put the receipt in my manual with all of the details after I did the work and they said as long as I kept the information, I was covered.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like I have a game plan! And here I was getting bummed that I was going to have to park the bike for a while. I can handle an oil change.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,628 Posts
There's a pdf version of the service manual floating around here. It has what's needed at the 500 mi service and how to check it.

·
Silver member
5,311 Posts
I would just ride it. A few hundred miles over is not a big deal. We know the oil is good to go after that for 5000 miles. So the first service at a 1000 miles is not a big deal to most dealers or Indian for that matter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts