Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read many posts regarding the "valve train noise" issue. Perhaps that's exactly what I'm hearing. But, it doesn't sound to me like the racket that many have described. The noise I'm hearing is prevalent when the bike is sitting at idle and it sounds more like a metallic ringing or tingling - almost as if something wasn't completely tightened up on the motor or exhaust. I've been all over the bike, looking for anything loose that might be causing this, but I've found nothing. It most definitely is coming from the front, in the engine area.

1) Is this the proverbial "valve train noise"?

2) Has anyone else experienced this?

Sorry if this is a rehash of something that has already been cussed/discussed elsewhere.

Steve

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've read many posts regarding the "valve train noise" issue. Perhaps that's exactly what I'm hearing. But, it doesn't sound to me like the racket that many have described. The noise I'm hearing is prevalent when the bike is sitting at idle and it sounds more like a metallic ringing or tingling - almost as if something wasn't completely tightened up on the motor or exhaust. I've been all over the bike, looking for anything loose that might be causing this, but I've found nothing. It most definitely is coming from the front, in the engine area.

Sorry if this is a rehash of something that has already been cussed/discussed elsewhere.

Steve
Welcome to the family of CLACKERS my noise come in around 1800 revs & goes out at 2600 revs?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have 3 distinct noises that my bike makes:

1) no noticeable noise except for awesome stage 1 exhaust sound. this is what I notice most of the time.
2) a quiet but noticeable mechanical noise that i am assuming is the valve covers or push rods or something doing their job. this is not what i would consider a "bad" sound. i only notice this at certain times, usually when the bike isn't really warmed up and usually during deceleration.
3) the "clacking" sound as @the doctor puts it. :) this is the least frequent of the sounds, but you know it when you hear it, and i can usually increase or decrease throttle or gear to get rid of it. and, usually, once the bike is good and warmed up, i hardly ever hear it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the sound I'm hearing is most definitely NOT a "clacking" sound. It is a far more subtle *tingling*. It's entirely livable, but I was just curious whether anyone else has experienced same.

Steve

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Let me see if I can pull this off without sounding dismissive or condescending.

Any new motorcycle has idiosyncrasies. New sounds and new feels.
We ride our "old" bike for thousands of miles and we come to accept it and even learn to expect the sounds.
Then we turn the page.
We climb on a new bike.

Right about now you are kicking up on your hind legs, getting ready to tell me that you been riding since the day of wooden wheels. After 75 years in the saddle .....yada yada yada (yawn).

Well, I'm gonna tell you about something that is going to put all of this whining and carping to bed, once and for all.

Take hearing completely out of your sensory tool box for a little while.
Learn this motorcycle by feel. Go back to the basics and ride it without looking at the instruments and gauges.
Shift when it feels like you need to shift....no sounds of the engine....no distraction of the gauges.
You and the motor...bond to it...how it feels in a hard pull....how it feels lugging out of a turn.

I ride around town with a half helmet that has straps over my ears that sing in the wind. When I take out on the road I wear a full face helmet that has ventilation like a wind tunnel.....so yeah, I wear ear plugs. Now I do realize that you are probably too smart or too cool to wear ear plugs and are getting ready to tell me that you shouldn't have to wear ear plugs....You didn't want to eat spinach either...but your mom made ya...and now ya like it.

Riding with ear plugs for just a few short weeks will help you bed in to the feel of your new motorcycle without concentrating on this engine sound that you are obsessing about right now.

So many things about motorcycling are so subtle. Sometimes it is as simple as shifting your grip on the bars ever so slightly to relieve a pinching pain between your shoulders....simple stuff that is often overlooked or things that take years of experience to pick up on. I've found that the smallest of things sometimes make the biggest of differences.

Listen, I'm NOT going to kid you here. What I'm trying to do is build you a bridge to get you over this engine noise hurdle.
Try riding without listening for a while....foam ear plugs are cheap...trust me, they will get you past this.

Now let me put a little disclaimer here for those who need a tune up in the reading comprehension department.
I AM NOT SAYING THAT EAR PLUGS CAUSE ENGINE NOISE.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Well, the sound I'm hearing is most definitely NOT a "clacking" sound. It is a far more subtle *tingling*. It's entirely livable, but I was just curious whether anyone else has experienced same.

Steve
Hi again does the tingling goes way after the bikes gets to normal temperature & if so it is your left hand muffler one of the welds have let go I am having the same issue with mine I am going to get it checked at the next service

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Let me see if I can pull this off without sounding dismissive or condescending.

Any new motorcycle has idiosyncrasies. New sounds and new feels.
We ride our "old" bike for thousands of miles and we come to accept it and even learn to expect the sounds.
Then we turn the page.
We climb on a new bike.

Right about now you are kicking up on your hind legs, getting ready to tell me that you been riding since the day of wooden wheels. After 75 years in the saddle .....yada yada yada (yawn).

Well, I'm gonna tell you about something that is going to put all of this whining and carping to bed, once and for all.

Take hearing completely out of your sensory tool box for a little while.
Learn this motorcycle by feel. Go back to the basics and ride it without looking at the instruments and gauges.
Shift when it feels like you need to shift....no sounds of the engine....no distraction of the gauges.
You and the motor...bond to it...how it feels in a hard pull....how it feels lugging out of a turn.

I ride around town with a half helmet that has straps over my ears that sing in the wind. When I take out on the road I wear a full face helmet that has ventilation like a wind tunnel.....so yeah, I wear ear plugs. Now I do realize that you are probably too smart or too cool to wear ear plugs and are getting ready to tell me that you shouldn't have to wear ear plugs....You didn't want to eat spinach either...but your mom made ya...and now ya like it.

Riding with ear plugs for just a few short weeks will help you bed in to the feel of your new motorcycle without concentrating on this engine sound that you are obsessing about right now.

So many things about motorcycling are so subtle. Sometimes it is as simple as shifting your grip on the bars ever so slightly to relieve a pinching pain between your shoulders....simple stuff that is often overlooked or things that take years of experience to pick up on. I've found that the smallest of things sometimes make the biggest of differences.

Listen, I'm NOT going to kid you here. What I'm trying to do is build you a bridge to get you over this engine noise hurdle.
Try riding without listening for a while....foam ear plugs are cheap...trust me, they will get you past this.

Now let me put a little disclaimer here for those who need a tune up in the reading comprehension department.
I AM NOT SAYING THAT EAR PLUGS CAUSE ENGINE NOISE.
Thanks for your valued wisdom you remind me of my older brother all ways there for me wright or wrong

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big Daddy, while I appreciate your sentiment, there is no "carping" by me, no "hurdles" to overcome, no need for a "bridge" to get me over the engine noise. I agree with your intent. This is a small issue, and one that I've already indicated is not a problem for me. I'm only trying to assess whether it's normal (which I can live with) or whether it is an anomaly that needs some attention.

No doubt there have been others on this forum who have parleyed the "valve train noise" issue into a big old fat thing. I'm not one of those people. Frankly, if the *tingle* is typical of this engine, then I can embrace and love it like I would a slightly higher breast on an otherwise perfect female form.

And by the way, no, I have not been riding motorcycles for 75 years. I've just been riding since 1974. Every bike I've ever owned had its own nuances - its own personality, and it own quirks that one learns to live with. This new Vintage is no exception.

I do appreciate your comments, nonetheless.

Steve

Reactions: the doctor

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doctor, I'll check on that and get back with you.

Gotta love a doctor who is willing to dole out a diagnosis without charging you for an office call. :)

Steve

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Big Daddy, while I appreciate your sentiment, there is no "carping" by me, no "hurdles" to overcome, no need for a "bridge" to get me over the engine noise. I agree with your intent. This is a small issue, and one that I've already indicated is not a problem for me. I'm only trying to assess whether it's normal (which I can live with) or whether it is an anomaly that needs some attention.

No doubt there have been others on this forum who have parleyed the "valve train noise" issue into a big old fat thing. I'm not one of those people. Frankly, if the *tingle* is typical of this engine, then I can embrace and love it like I would a slightly higher breast on an otherwise perfect female form.

And by the way, no, I have not been riding motorcycles for 75 years. I've just been riding since 1974. Every bike I've ever owned had its own nuances - its own personality, and it own quirks that one learns to live with. This new Vintage is no exception.

Steve
Well said mate I am with you on this if you don't ask you will not receive & you can sieve through the mutterings of others & come to your own conclusion on the subject

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW - Big Daddy, really like your Leon Redbone link. There will always be an ample measure of Redbone in my musical portfolio.

Steve

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have about 2800 miles now and do not hear anything strange. I have had these with newer Harley's and found nuts backed off headers and some abnormal noises but so far this 111 seems like a solid motor. I also found all my other bikes were different. I wouldn't try to compare this with my last gold wing or you would be looking for things. I think the best thing to do is every opportunity you have to ride with other Indians listen to them. We may find some sound a little different stock and we can try to narrow it down as to why. I certainly don't downplay any concerns anyone has since you need confidence the bike is safe and put together right. After a number of high speed rides I am very comfortable on this bike. I find it hard to take something else out now.....

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

Steve
I just took a ride on my friends 2015 roadglide with stock pipes talk about valve noise. My 2014 Chieftain sounds better handles rides better. All bikes have a unique sound thats what separates them. I love this Bike it has different sound and quirks thats what makes it a Indian I have no problem with it.

·
Early joiner
190 Posts
I but more so my wife have noticed a tingle when I first start up and while letting the bike idle to warm up. It only seems to be when I first start while idling.
Cannot check it out now since bike is in shop with a small oil leak from one of the heads at 3000 miles. Found it when taking in for 2500 mile check Saturday. Waiting on parts and then few days to pull motor and fix. Really going into withdrawals.:(

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts

Steve
Yep, 1974....ya been around these things about as long as I have.
Lots of sets of new tires under our belts huh?
Ya ever notice how a set of new tires makes ya feel so good?
Like a new bike handling, all over again.

Of course, the new tires are great but the problem really laid with the old tires.
All of the fun we had wearing them out too...great memories.
Those old tires get nice and comfortable and as predictable as a pair of old house slippers.
Day by day, mile by mile. In the groove, our "happy place".
Then one day you look down and there the cords are, grinnin up at ya.

You really don't realize just how flat spotted the center of that old back tire was.
At least not until you get a new tire on there.

Swinging a leg over my Indian was pretty much like that for me.
I had my "old" motorcycle for 20 years. A daily driver with right at 300,000 miles on her.
Don't you think I was hearing every snap, crackle, and pop?

I had a whole laundry list of things that were "wrong" with my new Indian.
The floorboards were too high, the handlebars were funny, the seat....
Even the turn signal switch got on my nerves. lol

Early owners (me included) had issues with a 1st to 2nd shifting "problem".
If you go back to the early threads in this forum and others, you will see the posts.
But now you don't read about that anymore.
Did Indian fix this? I know they didn't "fix" mine.....I just learned how she like to be rode.
I changed, the bike didn't.

Then ya got the fading leather issue on the 2014 Vintages.
Guys so upset and frustrated they were threatening class action lawsuits.
Indian acknowledged the problem, apologized, and even sent out a kit that was no better than the original.
In the end?
A four dollar bottle of leather dye from Tandy leather and an hour or two of my time.
But it represents another time that I bent....not the bike.

I ain't preaching at ya Steve....just rambling on for a bit.
None of this probably even applies to ya.
Growing pains I mean.
It used to be a monster under our beds that kept us awake at night.....now it's top end noise.
Regardless, I think the solutions will be found in the same place.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
BTW - Big Daddy, really like your Leon Redbone link. There will always be an ample measure of Redbone in my musical portfolio.

Steve
Yeah, he is one of my favorites too. I'm going to change that link every so often....I have new songs stacked up like cord wood. lol

·
Registered
716 Posts
Hi again does the tingling goes way after the bikes gets to normal temperature & if so it is your left hand muffler one of the welds have let go I am having the same issue with mine I am going to get it checked at the next service
I have chased the little tin rattle noise. It's my left muffler. Once mine is warmed up it all but stops. I tightened the clamps and readjusted some of the exhaust shields. With the engine completely cold if I bump the muffler with a mush hammer I can reproduce the same noise in the left muffler. Guess I need to find a couple of Kirby vacuum cleaner extensions & change it to straight pipes. ( one of the first options for any 13 year old customizars tricked out Cushman or if you were really lucky a mustang like my buddy had )

·
Registered
433 Posts
Big Daddy, stop sounding dismissive and condescending already LOL!! I put those speakers on my handle bars, put on The Allman Brothers and away I go. In fact, I was under an overpass in Miami the other day (in traffic) I had Stormy Monday blaring (I like loud) this older Black women was standing at bus bench and she gave me the thumbs up with that old bluesy number!! Put a smile on my face. Oh wait, this thread was about noise the bike makes.................................

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,052 Posts
Morning stellarpod,
The full exhaust system heat shields on my Chieftain tink and tinkle a bit when the bike is warming up or cooling down. Possibly this is what you're hearing?
--- Randall

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Big Daddy, every bike I've ever owned was a compromise in one sense or another. It's the nature of the beast. And frankly, these are what I refer to as first-world problems - quite minor in the greater scheme of things. As with people, perceived flaws build into character, and character builds into something worth embracing.

I too, love the feel of a new set of treads on the bike. In fact, I've got a brand new set in the garage that I'll be spooning onto the Harley in 2-3000 miles. The squaring off of a back tire is a subtle thing for sure. New tires turn the contentious old girl into a dance floor phenom again.

RoadDawg1953: I've been over the exhaust, but you're the second person who have mentioned localizing a noise to the left pipe/muffler. I'll spend a bit of time this weekend inspecting that again. Thanks for the hint.

Steve

1 - 20 of 45 Posts