Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I actually tested the Challenger twice the second time back to back with the Chieftain 116. I was fortunate enough to have the perfect day for riding being almost 90 degrees with loads of humidity, I truly wanted to expose the weakest points of any fairing equipped motorcycle....heat.
In the end I was impressed with the engine performance of the Challenger it simply pulls in any gear from any speed. The steering is light with ample ground clearance and steady during mid corner adjustments and highway speeds.
The negatives are few but evident enough to mention. One where the heat builds up is between the fairing and the rider and once underway the rider is bathed in heat completely until you reach 40-50 mph. The Chieftain also has heat build up but it is concentrated more the lower half of your body and underneath your rider position, once underway the rider position clears heat more quickly on the Chieftain. Off idle throttle response was absolutely terrible on the Challenger to the point I abhorred each stop light or sign, hopefully that gets tuned out unless it was my test unit only. The throttle response on the Chieftain was much cleaner with only a bit of vagueness at idle to roll on.
Bump steer better on the Challenger, wind wash was equal. Air flow with shield down was cleaner on the Chieftain but windshield up was much less turbulent on the Challenger.
Both awesome motorcycles.

·
Bronze member
1,534 Posts
CIRC, once the aftermarket comes up with a REAL tune for our Challengers, the heat will go away (taking away the lean fuel condition to meet emissions) and the off the line throttle lag will MOST definitely be eliminated once throttle positioning map and fuel settings are adjusted. Then you'll want to go back for a third time and just BUY the bike. Stop the test rides, talk to Bagger Jay, cut the check (it only hurts for a minute!) and get some (s)miles on that bike up in Canada before winter sets back in!!! LOLOLOLO!!!!

·
Bronze member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CIRC, once the aftermarket comes up with a REAL tune for our Challengers, the heat will go away (taking away the lean fuel condition to meet emissions) and the off the line throttle lag will MOST definitely be eliminated once throttle positioning map and fuel settings are adjusted. Then you'll want to go back for a third time and just BUY the bike. Stop the test rides, talk to Bagger Jay, cut the check (it only hurts for a minute!) and get some (s)miles on that bike up in Canada before winter sets back in!!! LOLOLOLO!!!!
So the off idle throttle lag is fairly common on the Challenger?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Circ, I don’t notice that issue, what mode were you in?
Rain mode is sluggish as it should be I have used it during storms.
I always drive in sport mode currently at 4800 smiles😃.

Reactions: HyeHog

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,293 Posts
The only time I've noticed anything like that is if I try to "blip" the throttle. I've just trained myself not to do that and I don't have any problems and have almost 3200 miles on mine.

Reactions: HyeHog

·
Registered
468 Posts
Stop the test rides, talk to Bagger Jay, cut the check (it only hurts for a minute!) and get some (s)miles on that bike up in Canada before winter sets back in!!! LOLOLOLO!!!!
HyeHog, you make me LOL!

I think maybe you were in rain mode? I do not have off throttle lag from a dead stop, but I do have some dead spots at lower RPM. I did the stage 1 intake, it's not perfect, but it vastly improves throttle response.
I agree with HyeHog, once aftermarket can tune this bike, and get rid of the lean condition it will awesome.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,233 Posts
I'm used to using the throttle blip while downshifting to match rpm to the next lower transmission gear. My demo rides on two Challengers didn't seem to demonstrate any problem doing that but both rides were very short.

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts

As many know, the first run of Challengers had issues with out of spec and defective throttle bodies and an updated tune was also released for them. This caused all kinds of issues, idle, limp mode, throttle lag and or sticking.

These were all remedied by Polaris early this year. The problem is some dealerships never checked and or fixed the bikes on the showroom floor from that time period and some of those bikes are just now going to customers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts