Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally was able to put about 50 miles on my new Scout and I really enjoyed the little scoot. However, the front forks were terrible and bottomed easily on poor city streets. The rear although soft was okay for now.

I guess progressive front springs are in order and it won't be the first time I've had to do this mod.

Sam:(

·
Bronze member
1,793 Posts
What year Scout do you have?
I can answer that. 2018. Was posted elsewhere.

Please don't take this the wrong way... are you heavy, PORKIE ? ;) See what I did there?

The '18 Scout has cartridge forks, supposedly improved from earlier Scout's, yet not adjustable. No idea what they're like myself.

I do okay on my '15 Scout with my weight only being 175 pounds. Could be better sometimes on uneven or rough roads. I just bounce along. Gets me up off the seat and onto the foot pegs sometimes. Awkward as that is, with the cruiser posture.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,296 Posts
The Scout fork shortcomings are well documented in this forum. Swapping out the fork springs and maybe higher viscosity fork oil have been done to improve things.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I finally was able to put about 50 miles on my new Scout and I really enjoyed the little scoot. However, the front forks were terrible and bottomed easily on poor city streets. The rear although soft was okay for now.

I guess progressive front springs are in order and it won't be the first time I've had to do this mod.

Sam:(

Sam,

Welcome to the tribe and forum

As someone stated, this short coming is well documented.

Supposedly on the 2017 and up models, the rear springs are OEM progressive, and are in need of adjustment to your liking.
I have done this, and it helped a bunch. Might not be the long term answer, but it helps.

I think front springs can be had for 100 bucks, I have not done it yet, but plan on doing so soon.
These settings and replacements should make it a way better bike.

Enjoy that scoot.

4T

·
Registered
360 Posts
I put Andreani front fork kit in mine. Combined with NitronR3 rear suspension & Pirelli Night Dragons, the bike handles like a sport standard now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
" are you heavy, PORKIE ?" Quote

350 lbs of solid, corn fed, chicken fried steak eatin' table muscle---thank you:) 6ft-5in helps:)

The roads in my town are really bad. My recent Honda CTX1300D, Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster and my 2012 Goldwing, also rode like bucking bronco's. My GS and my recent 2016 Suzuki DL650 V-strom, rode over the same terrain like it wasn't there.

I had a pair of progressive front springs put into my new 1997 Goldwing, the first time I'd used them and it made a huge difference.

I know this lil Scout is like a 3/4 size bike but I like it for my 20 mile round trip in to work where 18 of that is on beautiful and smooth rural roads.

Thanks for the replies:)

Sam

·
Rider
530 Posts
If youre truthful about your size you should be on a Victory crossbike. That is the only bike ive ridden that is made for somebody that is over 6 foot 3 or so

·
Rider
462 Posts
Not surprised the GS and DL handled those same roads with aplomb. Long travel suspension just eats up road irregularities. As others have said, improved springs and heavier weight fork oil should help but at the end of the day it’s still a Scout.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Truthful????

Who in the world would buy a Victory now even though prices are Sooooooo very low??

The riding position is fine although the seat could be more comfortable and higher.

I will order the progressive springs soon.

I have had 86 bikes in 56 years of riding so I know me some bikes! The price for this Scout, fully equipped was just chump change so I bought it:)

Sam:)

·
Bronze member
1,758 Posts
I have 20 wt. Belray fork oil (+10% added) changed/added at 20K miles along with new bushings. It made a big improvement in both ride and handling. But I did purchase a set of "Progressive" fork springs, fork gaitors and a leather fender flap.

Now to find time to do the installation.

·
Rider
462 Posts
AC232CA4-255C-4A95-9986-3B5F93B64F74.jpeg
Truthful????

Who in the world would buy a Victory now even though prices are Sooooooo very low??

The riding position is fine although the seat could be more comfortable and higher.

I will order the progressive springs soon.

I have had 86 bikes in 56 years of riding so I know me some bikes! The price for this Scout, fully equipped was just chump change so I bought it:)

Sam:)
Have you considered the 1920 solo seat? I was a lot heavier when I initially purchased my Scout and after a couple hundred miles of break-in the 1920 seat was a revelation. It distributes the weight more evenly, and positions you about 3” higher. I had pain after 45 minutes on the stocker but can now do consecutive days in the saddle with almost no discomfort.

·
Rider
530 Posts
The 106 engined Cross country cammed and tuned makes an easy 140 or so HP
You can buy them for 10 grand or so with 10k miles
No better V twin value out there and it will eat up almost everything ( HD or Indian)
Want more? Supercharge it and you can be close to 200 HP not bad for a touring bike

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
The Scout fork shortcomings are well documented in this forum. Swapping out the fork springs and maybe higher viscosity fork oil have been done to improve things.
I agree they have reputation for being soft in the front end and rock hard in the rear. Not sure how the new 2019 models are or for that matter the FTRs

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I finally was able to put about 50 miles on my new Scout and I really enjoyed the little scoot. However, the front forks were terrible and bottomed easily on poor city streets. The rear although soft was okay for now. I guess progressive front springs are in order and it won't be the first time I've had to do this mod.
After months of research, I did Race Tech's constant rate springs and Ricor Intiminators. Zero nose dive hitting the brakes and soaks up most bumps quite well. If I lived up north in the land of road lips, I would modify the Intiminators.

FWIW- I did have Race Tech constant rate springs and Race Tech Gold Valves before the Intiminators. The Gold Valves were a definite improvement over stock but still had some nose dive during breaking.

·
Registered
72 Posts
After months of research, I did Race Tech's constant rate springs and Ricor Intiminators. Zero nose dive hitting the brakes and soaks up most bumps quite well. If I lived up north in the land of road lips, I would modify the Intiminators.

FWIW- I did have Race Tech constant rate springs and Race Tech Gold Valves before the Intiminators. The Gold Valves were a definite improvement over stock but still had some nose dive during breaking.
What size Intiminators did you purchase and install? The Ricor site doesn't have specs for Indian Scouts.

Thanks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I haven't really noticed problems with the front forks but that doesn't mean they can't be made better. I don't ride as aggressively as the young me used to. However, since a new set of Progressive springs came with my 2015 Scout, I'll take the front forks to Barry Wressel at KFG Powersports in Auburn over the winter.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
I found slightly used 2017 Scout (progressive wound) rear shocks on eBay for 100 bucks (incl. shipping!) and got fork gators and the Progressive (brand) fork springs with 20W oil from Revzilla. Installed it on Sunday on my 2016 SIXTY and BOY what a difference that mod made! The best 200 bucks I spent on the bike.
Highly, highly recommendable. Not perfect, but for that price? Can't beat it. Many on this forum say "it rides like a completely different bike" - never thought that's possible, but it does!

Reactions: saxmaniac

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ended up purchasing the Race Tech 95kg springs and emulator valves. Should have them installed next week once I get my Barnett clutch cable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts