Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While riding back to Ohio from Tennessee and after a great week of riding in the mountains my buddy goes down in the middle of the interstate. Wet pavement, oil and tar snakes are not a good combination. As we start to merge on to I-71 from the entry ramp I hear an unusual noise in my helmet speakers and look in my mirror just to see my buddy go down in the center lane of the 3 lane freeway. I'm still not sure how the semi that was directly behind him managed to stop and not run him over. The good Lord was watching out for him today! Medics arrived and checked him out and luckily he wasn't seriously injured. The bikes crash bars did their job with only minor damage to the highway pegs and floor boards. He was able to ride the bike home without any problem. My friend got very lucky today! Definitely an eye opening experience. Ride safe folks.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sorry to hear about your buddy and glad he's ok.

I literally just merged into I71 a couple hours ago and it was nerve wracking even in a car due to the rain. On my way to the east coast from Colorado and that section of road has been the worst part of the trip.

Anyone on that section oh highway should be extremely cautious.

·
Bronze member
1,370 Posts
I worked in safety ,accident data collection, accident investigation, and corrective measures. A very common finding was that accidents are most often a series of events or combination of elements that lead to the final negative result. Remove any one element or event and the accident is avoided. The rain, oil accumulation, asphalt repair, and perhaps speed choice, and fatigue. Remove or alter any of those and the likelihood of a negative event is lessened dramatically. This may sound obvious but the hidden information surrounding accidents is not easily gathered. Sorry your bud got a rough go, speedy recovery.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is OK. Sounds like it could've been a whole lot worse.

Might be a good day to play the lotto.

Reactions: PeacePipe

·
Registered
51 Posts
In my previous life, I was an in-depth accident investigator. I totally agree with CIRC. I think we called a portion of our invesigation results the "First Harmful Event". It was so interesting to go back and dissect an accident and get to the first thing that happened in the progression of an accident. Sometimes it was so minute one could miss it. I remember when I first started doing accidents, it was so easy to say this guy is right and this guy is wrong. The longer I did it, it got harder and harder to see what happened. I am so glad the friend of the OP was OK. Miracles happen.
Ken

·
Registered
528 Posts
I would be interested to know what tires he had on the bike; I have found the standard Dunlops to be awful in the described conditions offering no grip especially under acceleration, could tires (tyres as as we call them here) been a factor in the incident?

Glad he is ok and the bike not too badly damaged.

·
Bronze member
2,107 Posts
Curious to know if your friend was ATG.

·
Registered
609 Posts
... or two beers. One for him, one for the bike. Happy to hear everyone is ok. If that is the Exchange going north from I-75 to I-71 in Cincinatti, I'm doubly thankful your buddy did not get run over.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would be interested to know what tires he had on the bike; I have found the standard Dunlops to be awful in the described conditions offering no grip especially under acceleration, could tires (tyres as as we call them here) been a factor in the incident?

Glad he is ok and the bike not too badly damaged.
He has Michelin Commander II's

·
Bronze member
2,480 Posts
All in all sounds like a miracle to me. A big rig? Wow. What make & model bike was he riding?

·
Silver member
5,519 Posts
I had a similar event happen to me many years ago. I went over a patch of black ice on the highway that I didn't see and down I went, and for a looooong slide. I too had a tractor-trailer behind me, who was able to stop. With the help of the trucker I was able to bend the handle bars and brake peddle back in place on my '74 Super Glide, and down the road I went, staying up on the two wheels this time. Your friend was very lucky, as was I. Guardian Angels....

·
Bronze member
2,480 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
While riding back to Ohio from Tennessee and after a great week of riding in the mountains my buddy goes down in the middle of the interstate. Wet pavement, oil and tar snakes are not a good combination. As we start to merge on to I-71 from the entry ramp I hear an unusual noise in my helmet speakers and look in my mirror just to see my buddy go down in the center lane of the 3 lane freeway. I'm still not sure how the semi that was directly behind him managed to stop and not run him over. The good Lord was watching out for him today! Medics arrived and checked him out and luckily he wasn't seriously injured. The bikes crash bars did their job with only minor damage to the highway pegs and floor boards. He was able to ride the bike home without any problem. My friend got very lucky today! Definitely an eye opening experience. Ride safe folks.
I've had trouble with tar snakes on dry roads. Slow down when encountering them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tar snakes can be deadly, especially if they are running along the direction of travel (vs. across). If they are wet, very slick and if it's hot and sunny, they are just as bad dry.

Also be aware of paint on roadway...lines, arrows, etc. Wet paint is slick!

Also always keep an eye out for signs of leaking on road...Can be diesel fuel!

When rain first starts, it brings out the accumulated oils. Use extreme care. It gets less slick after it's rained hard a while.

I have a video of a friend slide and recover on a tar snakes...will add when I find it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Great to hear your buddy is ok. I guess the big guy up in heaven wants him to keep riding. 👍

·
Rider
1,243 Posts
Thank God this ended well! Sorry to hear about your friend, God speed on a fast recovery. ..the semi not hitting him is a miracle!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts