Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my FTR runs right at 173 degrees in all riding conditions as long as it is moving. But the temp climbs quickly when I sit at a light or let it idle to hop off and get the mail. The fan will often kick on after I drive up my mile long gravel drive. I find it strange that the fan does not continue to run when the bike is off. I have checked and the temp can continue to rise after the key is off. So if the fan is running when I park I usually let it run a bit to cool before I shut it off.

My questions... Is this normal? How hot is too hot? Anyone ever consider modifying so fan will run even with the key off until engine cools? And since now is cool weather and TN will be 95+ all summer, should I worry that the situation will only get worse?

Thanks

·
Silver member
5,297 Posts
The thermostat only opens around 170-175°F, so as long as you’re rolling, the engine stays cool-ish.

The fan comes on around 205°F, and yes it shuts off when the ignition is switched off, even when you just hit the kill switch it shuts off after a second or so. 205°F is still below boiling point of unpressurized water. Technically you could still screw the cap of the radiator if you wanted to (but pls don’t!).

they all do that.

btw, as a comparison, the thermostat on our Jeep opens around 183 and I’ve seen the temps go up to 225 a few weeks ago. Car didn’t complain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen the temp go above 212 with key off which should be below boiling with good antifreeze. Just thought it strange to get so hot in winter and wondered if it was normal. I have some Honda cx500s with fans on the crank and people often replace with electric fans just to prevent overheating at shut off. But if this is normal for the FTR I'll trust the designers. Thanks

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hello Tony,
I live in the California desert. Last summer I rode every day and many times it was 105°F or higher. Same as you, around 174° while moving and, at stoplights, fan kicks in and temp stabilizes around 207°.

I wouldn't worry about being stopped in 95° temps. Last summer, mine never went above 212° or so even when I was in traffic for an extended period of time (route had some construction delays). I never saw the "Hot" indicator come on. I don't remember having the fan running when I was ready to shut it off. My experience though has been that it doesn't cool down enough for the fan to turn off when idling at a stop.

The owners manual says:

“Hot” displays and the CHECK ENGINE indicator lamp illuminates
under the following conditions.

Engine coolant temperature approaches unsafe operating condition while the engine is running.

·
Rider
1,199 Posts
So my FTR runs right at 173 degrees in all riding conditions as long as it is moving. But the temp climbs quickly when I sit at a light or let it idle to hop off and get the mail. The fan will often kick on after I drive up my mile long gravel drive. I find it strange that the fan does not continue to run when the bike is off. I have checked and the temp can continue to rise after the key is off. So if the fan is running when I park I usually let it run a bit to cool before I shut it off.

My questions... Is this normal? How hot is too hot? Anyone ever consider modifying so fan will run even with the key off until engine cools? And since now is cool weather and TN will be 95+ all summer, should I worry that the situation will only get worse?

Thanks
This is exactly how my FTR runs. Rx: relax.

·
Rider
1,174 Posts
Only joking but it did cross my mind if you may be distantly related to Wayne over this side of the pond? Perfectly normal but in our money normal running temperature is displayed in Celsius which equates to about 79-80 degrees.

Black exhaust deposits/splatter on the end of the cans along with a little play in your gear change linkage is also perfectly normal if these too may cause you concern as time passes.

Reactions: ferraiolo1

·
Rider
943 Posts
Water boils at 212°F mixing antifreeze with water in a 50-50 ratio increases the boiling point to 223°F

Under pressure will raise the coolant boiling point. A typical 1 Bar (14.5psi) pressure theoretically raises the boiling point of 50-50 coolant to 253°F

I wouldn't worry about what you're seeing. Also if the fan kept running all it would do is cool the radiator and not the engine because there is no coolant flow. (unless it has an electric water pump.)

·
Rider
1,174 Posts
Normal. No worries.
And as @rpsibew110 states,
Running the fan after shut down would only cool what's in the radiator.
And of course flatten your already (according to a few) sub-standard battery......but that’s another story.😇😉

Reactions: Hatt

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
And of course flatten your already (according to a few) sub-standard battery......but that’s another story.😇😉
True.
Though, I was pleasantly surprised this season.
My area got nailed with winter abruptly and early so I slacked on my winter prep.
I didn't plug the FTR in (whoops)
Thing started right up last week.. blew me away. That surprises me even for a high quality battery!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Only joking but it did cross my mind if you may be distantly related to Wayne over this side of the pond? Perfectly normal but in our money normal running temperature is displayed in Celsius which equates to about 79-80 degrees.

Black exhaust deposits/splatter on the end of the cans along with a little play in your gear change linkage is also perfectly normal if these too may cause you concern as time passes.
😂 Hey man! 😂

1 - 11 of 11 Posts