Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just think for a moment of the combined motorcycle experience of all the members here.
Staggering ain't it?
With this kind of resource at our fingertips we don't need to worry about re-inventing the wheel when we seek something.

I thought it would be interesting to see what exactly it is that you do for....like boots, jackets, gloves, helmets....anything that makes your motorcycling more comfortable and enjoyable.

No, it doesn't have to be Indian branded.

Let me get the ball rolling with a jacket that I have worn since the mid-60's.
It's a damn good thing that when I bought it, I bought it large. Yes, I have sort of grown into it. lol

Western Fringe Leather Jacket - Limited Sizes 395

I bought that jacket long before I knew that I would be riding an Indian Vintage.
Or just maybe....when I laid eyes on the Indian Vintage I knew that it would be a perfect match for my jacket.

So how about it?
What is near and dear to your heart?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a simple brown leather jacket with a wool lining and a hoodie for the "cold"Arizona months. I have only wished I had heated gloves once or twice. For summer I ride with a mesh jacket which I will definitely switch to Indian branding. People always ask, "Isn't it too hot to ride with a jacket?" But I have found the opposite in the hot months. It is much cooler and also protective.

For the new Indian apparel, I think it is at least competitively priced. The leather stuff is more, but you can tell it is quality material and workmanship.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Living in the cold tundra of Canada, my favorite gear is my heated vest and gloves, I have poor circulation and when I can get my core body temperature up I can extend the riding season. The dealer here puts a wire harness for a battery tender on the bike and my heated gear plugs right into it. I am happy. I also never ride without proper riding boots.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
What a great topic Big Daddy! I wear a half helmet but when this is released I want THIS...
My Gawd-

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine anything like that!

I went on the website to look at the pricing...about $1,500.
Not crazy, but remember how expensive VCR's were when they first came out?
I mean, quality, top end, full face helmets are going for well north of $500.00 right now.

I'm NOT a gadget guy.
I don't roll with GPS and my cell phone is cut off and in the saddlebag.
I don't even listen to music.

But....yeah....I agree with ya....I want a helmet like this too!

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heated gear....yeah. I have been thinking about that myself.
Ok, here in New Orleans it gets "cold" about 15 minutes a year.
Last winter it got down into the 20's for a week solid and I froze my keester off.

Mesh jackets....I have one but seldom wear it. I am looking at the Indian branded stuff and it looks pretty cool.
Here is my quandary on mesh gear.
I understand the concept and could even buy into it for risk mitigation and protection purposes.
But did you ever take note that all of this stuff is BLACK?
Really?

I gave up on BLACK helmets, t-shirts, and leather for summertime wear a long time ago.
It acts like one big massive heat sink, soaking up solar energy.
How about some Mesh stuff in like a reflective solar film....aluminum foil finish...like those rescue blankets?

Looking goofy ain't even on my radar at this stage of my life....I do well in that area already.

·
Early joiner
157 Posts
I have an older HD mesh that I wear in Summer. It is almost a silver gray with black trim and doesn't absorb the heat. It has the pockets for the protective pads but I don't use them if it's 90+ as they block too much airflow. The only brand badging it has is a very small HD script on the left chest. It seems to reflect some of UV rays and it feels cooler than riding with even a lighter colored T-shirt.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
As you enjoy this classic music selection....
Please substitute the word "BAD" to "SOAKED"

That would describe what riding a motorcycle along the Gulf Coast is like in the summertime.
If you don't get wet then you don't ride.
The land of Humid Beings.

If it ain't raining then it is fixin to.
If it ain't raining it is 95 degrees with 95% humidity and you will be ringing wet before you get the bike off the kick stand.

I'm looking out the window and it is doing the cow on a flat rock thing right now.
And I'm hungry and I want to go and get some lunch.
And I ride a motorcycle.
The last thing in the world I'm gonna do is climb into a plastic bag rain suit ans sweat myself into a coma.

Ideas?
I mean, besides calling a cab or ordering a pizza delivery.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I don't really have a "favorite" piece of gear, but I do like my 30 year old riding boots. They're nicely broken in but I'm almost due for a resoling.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,050 Posts
Howdy Folks,
I can highly recommend Leather Motorcycle Jackets, Chaps, Vests, & Gear - Fox Creek Leather for top quality American-made motorcycle leather. I've been wearing their Commander jacket for 6 years now and am very happy with it. It has an enormous pocket on the left front that will hold a Rand-McNally Road Atlas, very effective zippered vents for air flow, and internal pockets for foam body armor (I used some I had from a set of Bohm armored long johns). Mine has held up well in all kinds of weather and is tolerable in the summer heat as long as you're moving. It is very heavy.
--- Randall

·
Founding member
952 Posts
Have a Natal Biker Jacket I bought 30 years ago. Super thick weighs about 50lbs. Still wearing a Harley Helmet that I bought 2 years ago. And a pair of Milwaukee brand biker boots made in China[that is messed up] This is Slickeddie under a new name Bought a new computer. Old laptop died. Had problems logging in forgot old password.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My favorite gear to ride in is anything that isn`t black. I`m so tired of black leather, its a sin. I would love to find at least a jacket in the tan to match my seats, but so far, no luck. My wife found hers about ten years ago in Tenn. while on a trail ride (horses), and we have been many places since with no luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
As for me, I have always been partial to Schuberth helmets and had to buy them in Germany before they started shipping them once again to the U.S. (the reason they stopped for several years was the penchant for Americans to sue following an type of accident). For gloves I like unlined deerskin. For footgear, yes I will admit it, I wear topsiders in the summer and BMW Gortex in the winter if and when I am somewhere where it will get cold. Then I always carry an electric vest which plugs in at the cig lighter (this item has saved my life a few times on different bikes). I find wearing a wet neckerchief is quite cooling in the summer and sometimes an evaporative vest is a good idea too. Ear plugs are mandatory for riding more than a half hour for me. Some prefer musician's ear plugs but lately I am using the squish and insert soft foam ones. Others have found the custom fit foam plugs available at good sporting stores the way to go. But the most important riding gear I use is my Ipod loaded with my favorite music plugged into the Chieftain's music system.

·
Early joiner
235 Posts
I have a Cortech denim jacket with more zippers than I can count for ventilation in the summer and with the liner in it, it is the warmest jacket I've ever owned. (Cost about $100.) As far as the Skully helmets go, I'm down with all that it does, however within a year or two some of the other manufacturers will clone it at a lower price...I can wait!

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have a Natal Biker Jacket I bought 30 years ago. Super thick weighs about 50lbs. Still wearing a Harley Helmet that I bought 2 years ago. And a pair of Milwaukee brand biker boots made in China[that is messed up] This is Slickeddie under a new name Bought a new computer. Old laptop died. Had problems logging in forgot old password.
Hey Eddie-

Glad to see you got the new laptop cookin.
I hate technical difficulties like that.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well Y'all

I got this swell $250.00 coupon for Indian gear just burning a hole in my pocket.
I've looked over all of the new stuff and this jacket right here is about the only thing I can find that would fit into my current wardrobe.

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/shop/apparel/mens-legend-jacket/pid-2863706

Take a moment to critique this jacket....as in would you be caught dead in it.
The canvas shell sort of reminds me of a Carhart...which I always found to be extremely butch, only in a manly sort of way.
It has a snap down leather collar...leather so my 5pm shadow won't shred it and snap down so it won't be slapping me around.

I sort of like it.
If I can squeeze into a 3x

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
My favorite piece of gear is some old Hein Gerick (sp) leather coveralls. I am now at the point where I just can't fit into them again unless I loose about 25 lbs. They are so nice in colder weather. It really keeps the boys warm. I also have my first leather jacket from 1977. It's a little too small for me, but I always kept my old leathers for female passengers. Now my bride of 2 1/2 years needs her own personal size. So I have been shopping for her now.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Speaking of leather coveralls...

Stone Lake Leather Works

Yeah, I know.
They do look like gay fetish wear...but man, you talk about warm.

I was nosing around on e-Bay one night when I stumbled up on them...used.
I've seen them advertised in the biker rags for years but could never bring myself to cough up the four yard notes to put me next to em.
The pair I found was in my exact size, the auction was within an hour of closing....$100.00 bid later and they were mine.

It just doesn't get cold enough here for me to wear them often....except maybe when I go to the French Quarter.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts