Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rider
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 18 CDH and the only thing I don't like is the front wheel. I don't like that it's not an Indian looking fender and the lack of war bonnet but also it makes the ride bumpier. I love my bike but coming from a chief DH (2016) it had a 16 inch (thicker) tire and the difference is noticeable. I don't hate it but I just want to know the reason they did it. Looks? or is there another advantage I am missing. Hope I explained it well. I love this bike just to be clear.

·
Rider
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I thought. Maybe someone would trade me. Probably not. Still love it overall. Thank you

·
Banned
2,788 Posts
I find it easier to maneuver, & I had the SF before which was relatively easy.
I like the look, & mine came with the bonnet.. just wish it lit up, but I can work that out.
Yes it is bumpier but I do mostly freeway riding so I don't notice it as much as others might.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I have tried some of the other fender options, including the bobbed look. I find that iconic art deco styling to be key for my visual enjoyment of these bikes. The other options just do not catch my eye and IMO are just not as beautiful. As far as diameter goes, I like function over form in that category... 16" and fat rubber just works so well on these bikes.
No thanks on the oversized front wheels, I don't like them even on HDs and customs.

·
Banned
2,788 Posts
I have tried some of the other fender options, including the bobbed look. I find that iconic art deco styling to be key for my visual enjoyment of these bikes. The other options just do not catch my eye and IMO are just not as beautiful. As far as diameter goes, I like function over form in that category... 16" and fat rubber just works so well on these bikes.
No thanks on the oversized front wheels, I don't like them even on HDs and customs.
I'd agree with you on the look regarding the Chief/Classic, the Vintage, & the RM.. something about those that the valanced fender goes perfectly with.

Personally I like the smaller fender on the Chieftain & SF.. but it's nice we all have options.. hopefully that doesn't go away.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Nineteen wheels are harsher on the ride quality compared to sixteens … less rubber , more wheel and that enhances steering but affects comfort .

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I have an 18 CDH and the only thing I don't like is the front wheel. I don't like that it's not an Indian looking fender and the lack of war bonnet but also it makes the ride bumpier. I love my bike but coming from a chief DH (2016) it had a 16 inch (thicker) tire and the difference is noticeable. I don't hate it but I just want to know the reason they did it. Looks? or is there another advantage I am missing. Hope I explained it well. I love this bike just to be clear.
I started with a "traditional" 2017 front fender, and then added the 19" wheel-- love the look, valance, warbonnet and black wheel!

·
Registered
99 Posts
That’s what I thought. Maybe someone would trade me. Probably not. Still love it overall. Thank you
I have a 2017 Chieftain (color grey) I replaced the front wheel, fender and tire after the first 500 miles, with a 19" wheel. I liked the looks better but the ride is a little harsher etc.
If you are interested I will make you a heck of a deal. PM me.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I want to do a 19" and keep the valanced "classic" fender. One of the salesmen at my dealer has the classic fender with a 19" wheel on his Chieftain and it looks great. You can actually see some wheel, and not just brake discs. Once the wife will let me spend some money again I'll be on the prowl for a 19" wheel.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The 19" is a tad harsher, but with the right tire (i.e., Michelin Commander II), this is negating significantly! Also, the handling (turning) is way sharper/more exact with the 19". 16" is slow and sloppy... I will sell anyone my stock 16" tire/wheel with less than 1,000 miles on it. 2017 Dark Horse Chieftain.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I have an 18 CDH and the only thing I don't like is the front wheel. I don't like that it's not an Indian looking fender and the lack of war bonnet but also it makes the ride bumpier.

My guess is it's to draw the attention of the perspective current HD owners. Performance has nothing to do with it.

·
Rider
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want to do a 19" and keep the valanced "classic" fender. One of the salesmen at my dealer has the classic fender with a 19" wheel on his Chieftain and it looks great. You can actually see some wheel, and not just brake discs. Once the wife will let me spend some money again I'll be on the prowl for a 19" wheel.
I would at least like to get a balanced fender one day with the war bonnet. Maybe it would make the wheel less annoying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts