Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that every 5000 miles or so, my '18 Scout starts to idle roughly. Not missing completely, but those 'light' fires you can hear and feel. What I've done as a correction (hopefully) is to run about 10 gallons of Techron treated fuel through the bike, just before I change oil and that has cleared it up both times.

I learned the procedure from BMW(cars) where they recommend cleaning the fuel system before each oil change, with Techron. The reason to do it before an oil change is the possibility for oil contamination. I run non-ethanol fuel almost exclusively, and it may not have all of the detergent additives found in premium fuels.

Any thoughts?

·
Bronze member
3,072 Posts
Sea Foam usually does the trick too,atleast that's what I was using and it worked on both,my vehicles,and the fleet or 100 vehicles I used to service when I was working.

·
Registered
469 Posts
In my vehicles, if I have a choice I fill up at Chevron. The fuel is supposed to have techron added. How much is actually added I have no idea. Every once in a while I add a bottle of techron to my trucks. I haven't added any additional techron to my bike. I have over 10,000 miles on my bike without any rough idling issues. Thanks for bringing up the topic.

Phil

·
Rider
943 Posts
In my vehicles, if I have a choice I fill up at Chevron. The fuel is supposed to have techron added. How much is actually added I have no idea. Every once in a while I add a bottle of techron to my trucks. I haven't added any additional techron to my bike. I have over 10,000 miles on my bike without any rough idling issues. Thanks for bringing up the topic.

Phil
I came across this when looking up what Techron does.
Techron is a patented fuel additive developed by the Chevron Corporation, usually consisting of gasoline mixed with 400 ppm of polyetheramine. With the introduction of Techron, Chevron gasolines became designated as meeting Top Tier standards for fuel cleanliness.

·
Bronze member
2,021 Posts
I buy my fuel at Costco which carries the Top Tier designation. How much premium I get after the Subaru in front of me leaves regular in the twenty foot fueling hose is another conversation.
I also add a little Yamaha Ring Free every few tank fills.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I buy my fuel at Costco which carries the Top Tier designation. How much premium I get after the Subaru in front of me leaves regular in the twenty foot fueling hose is another conversation.
I also add a little Yamaha Ring Free every few tank fills.
I'm looking up Yamaha Ring Free now...

Reactions: MilwDave

·
Rider
1,579 Posts
I’ve had the bad gas issues with my vintage and yes you can tell. If there is bad gas I add sea foam and it always helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts