Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had bags before so forgive me for asking goofy questions. I have a 2016 Dark Horse and I"m setting up the ebay tcmt hard bags with osprey spools. I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

I bought the 27.5 Osprey Chief Spools so I can use the Indian sissy bar.

I switched out the inside bolts for M6-1.0 X 30mm bolts and have stainless steel washers on the feet. I screwed in the osprey spools to the bike and then screwed in the bolt from the inside of the bags to the spools.

Is that the correct setup? Would you all recommend lock tight on the bolts? There isn't any tabs on the bags to rest on the spools so the only thing keeping them in place is the bolt running to the spool from inside the bag.

I apologize for this if it seems obvious but I just want to make sure I don't lose a bag going down the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
i just finished doing the exact upgrade to my '14 chief vintage with the Osprey and TCMT setup (27.5" spools).

i would not use loctite on the bolts, just snug them down but not too tight.

one thing i suggest you do is to space the feet that rest on the pipes down more. i used 1.25" M6'S with 9 washers per screw. this makes the feet rest on the pipes on my bike and won't stress out the upper bolts that are holding the weight of the bags.

i also ordered the polaris 12VDC aux outlet from amazon. it fit into the back of the right bag perfectly and plugged into the provided brown and black wires.

its a great setup -

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks m3rogers. Could you send me a link to the 12VDC Outlet? I want to make sure I'm ordering the right one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had the TCMT bags on now for almost 8,000 miles on my 18 DH using the Osprey spools. If I were you I would set up the feet so that rest more solidly on the pipes. Mine are firmly setting on the pipes and no issues what so ever. I've had my pipes on and off a couple times as well as the bags and no issues whatsoever. The stress on that very light area of plastic in the bag was scary for me so I tested it with concern that the hot pipes would melt the silicon feet. It did mar the pipe that comes right off with the penny scrape just like you do if you get a boot mar on the pipes. NOT SO no melting and trust me when I say I get after it on this bike constantly so the test data is sound. I would loctite the spools with blue loctite and especially on the inside bag bolts. You can't see or feel those inside bolts easily and that is were you will get a backing out issue. The spools you would rarely remove if ever even when you take the bags off of the bike. You should rattle check your bags darn near every time you ride as a good precaution.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your response. I just wanted to say that the feet are sitting well on the pipes, I just had them leaning back so I could get a picture of the washers. Thanks for the good info.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
I've never had bags before so forgive me for asking goofy questions. I have a 2016 Dark Horse and I"m setting up the ebay tcmt hard bags with osprey spools. I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

I bought the 27.5 Osprey Chief Spools so I can use the Indian sissy bar.

I switched out the inside bolts for M6-1.0 X 30mm bolts and have stainless steel washers on the feet. I screwed in the osprey spools to the bike and then screwed in the bolt from the inside of the bags to the spools.

Is that the correct setup? Would you all recommend lock tight on the bolts? There isn't any tabs on the bags to rest on the spools so the only thing keeping them in place is the bolt running to the spool from inside the bag.

I apologize for this if it seems obvious but I just want to make sure I don't lose a bag going down the road.
VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!
MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RINEHARTS THAT ARE SETUP FOR THE HARD BAGS!!! They have 2 slotted brackets on the top side of each slipon for the bottom of the bags to slide into for support. If you don't get the right ones you are fu€ked!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
here ya go --- search for this in the google: Polaris New OEM 12V Outlet Receptacle-Pod 4012393
I just looked at the link and will not post to Australia. After looking at it, I'm guessing any 12v outlet would fit there? I mean an outlet with usb ports instead of cigarette outlet?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
i just finished doing the exact upgrade to my '14 chief vintage with the Osprey and TCMT setup (27.5" spools).

one thing i suggest you do is to space the feet that rest on the pipes down more. i used 1.25" M6'S with 9 washers per screw. this makes the feet rest on the pipes on my bike and won't stress out the upper bolts that are holding the weight of the bags.

i also ordered the polaris 12VDC aux outlet from amazon. it fit into the back of the right bag perfectly and plugged into the provided brown and black wires.

its a great setup -
Excuse my ignorance please.
What is the tcmt?

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
Excuse my ignorance please.
What is the tcmt?

TCMT is a Chinese manufacturer that makes parts for Indian Motorcycles. It is my suspicion that they also make genuine factory parts for Indian/Polaris. I bought a set of rear crash bars for my Chief. They fit exactly, and were considerably cheaper than the "factory" set. The only thing that was missing was the Indian stamp. In 3 years the chrome is in perfect shape.

·
Registered
70 Posts
TCMT is a Chinese manufacturer that makes parts for Indian Motorcycles. It is my suspicion that they also make genuine factory parts for Indian/Polaris. I bought a set of rear crash bars for my Chief. They fit exactly, and were considerably cheaper than the "factory" set. The only thing that was missing was the Indian stamp. In 3 years the chrome is in perfect shape.
Would anyone have a link to the hard bags from TCMT? I'll look now. Is it the seller name or product name?
I'm in the process of looking for bags and I was going to go the Ebay route.
Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry, one more
Do the TMCT bags have the oem hole/recess for the 12v plug to mount straight into?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Would anyone have a link to the hard bags from TCMT? I'll look now. Is it the seller name or product name?
I'm in the process of looking for bags and I was going to go the Ebay route.
Thanks

And I found links guys. All bags I can find are TMTC branded

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

its a great setup -
I know this sounds stupid but looks like 30mm = 1.18 inch while 35mm = 1.37 inches ( over 1.25") Are you using 35mm?

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
Do the TCMT bags not come with spools.
I'll be adding Indian sissy bar down the track.

If you are putting on hard bags and adding a sissy bar, you want the Chieftain spools. They do not come as a set... almost double the price of the regular set of Chief spools.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts