Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rider
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking of purchasing a Schuberth C4 Pro helmet. Tried locally and the internet but nothing available. Anyone know what all the customs, duties, taxes add up to?

·
Silver member
5,277 Posts
If you’re lucky, zilch.

I bought 4 helmets from Europe so far (and many other stuff), and never got taxed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
for buying a sissy bar at Dean Speed I paid a tax of 70 € (VAT + customs fees + insurance) if I understood correctly in France we pay a tax on items that come outside the EU and that cost more from 150 €

·
German Rider
1,506 Posts
Not 100% sure, but I think to remember that from Europe to the US there is no tax up to 1000$ item value. It is different when from the US to Europe.

If you need help, let me know.

Cu,
Sven

·
Rider
1,161 Posts
It purely depends on 'claimed value' of said package. Working the other way 'taxes from the USA' liaising carefully with the retailer you can often broker a deal whereupon you get an extra goodwill gesture or the price is mutually agreeable.

I've had free t-shirts thrown in and also paid very little or nothing compared to what may have been expected? Every little helps! Touching base directly with the retailer to explain your situation is paramount.

Late edit

….. It is different when from the US to Europe......
Hi Sven,

To the UK it certainly is. Anything less than £135 is free. £135 - £630 is 2.5% anything above that depends on type of goods. IF they deem you need to pay VAT that'll be another 20% and sometimes you have to pay shipping on top. What may seem on the face of it to be quite reasonable can end up being extortionate. From Europe to the USA your $1000 since 2013 has been increased to $2500 so as an 'Informal Entry' goods his helmet should not be liable for taxes.

·
Administrator
14,699 Posts
Schuberth C3 Pro here and all I paid was local and state sales tax.

·
Rider
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was dealing with Chromeburner.com in the Netherlands and they said no tax under $800. I wasn't sure about customs, duties, etc. though. I was dealing with Revzilla here in the U.S. and the helmet I wanted in my size was out of stock. They said next shipment was the end of April. For the heck of it I checked last night and the one I wanted was in stock. I ordered from them. Maybe they updated the website? They say 2 day shipping. If it comes back as backordered, I'll be cancelling and going back to Chromeburner. Looks like the Communication system is cheaper there also.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Last summer I wanted a LS2, all I could find in Houston was Black. Amazon had them, but at about $100 more than Motocard. So, I got Hi-VIz on Black WITH the ratchet chin latch, and a free neck muffler shipped to my door for less than the Amazon price. Hi-VIz was NOT an option from any USA dealer. Shipping was about $50 and it arrived, as predicted, about 10 days from purchase.

I see US prices have dropped some since. While, I would not normally buy from Europe for shipping to Texas, this one was worth it.

This is a LS2 Valliant 2nd Gen from MotoCard.

$288.10 + SH

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
427 Posts
I bought some saddlebags from Belgium recently. I do not know if any taxes were included in the price on their website?

·
Registered
13 Posts
In Belgium we have a website where you can calculate the cost for the import. It depends on the value of the package. I have ordered someting in US and don't have to pay taxes because the value wasn't high enough

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
427 Posts
Patience, you'll soon find out. If I had to guess there's a 80% chance you don't have to pay any taxes.
I did not pay anything beyond the price on their website. Perhaps it was included, it was their USA website page. It did take two weeks to get, it was in EU customs for a week. I really like the saddlebags.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts