Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the warning stickers from the windshield and highway bar on my Vintage yesterday. I would like a little advice on how to remove the tank warning sticker though. I don't want to mess up the paint.

Also, I'm going to give the bike a thorough detailing today, including treating the leather bags, waxing the painted surfaces, polishing the chrome, and treating the windshield. Any advice on products to use for this project?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Warm it up with a hair dryer and peel it off. I just peeled mine off without warming it up, but a little heat does make it a tad easier. Clean the glue off with goo gone or you can use a liquid car wax. Goo gone is faster. Car wax is safer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks to the recommendation of a good friend, I used a garment steamer with great success. It worked on all thre stickers on my Chieftain. No chemicals, no worries. Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. I got that ugly sticker off the tank. Got the corner started, then gradually pulled until it was gone. Nothing to it! The WD40 worked very well. I just applied a little to the sticky stuff that was left behind, waited five minutes, and wiped it off with a soft cloth and a little elbow grease. Thanks for the advice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been using ProtectAll on my `01 Deluxe for several years now . This stuff sounds like a modern day 'snake oil' but it really works. It has a UV blocker & Carnuba wax in it and works on all surfaces of my bike , leather bags , windshield , chrome , rubber ,paint , seats , & everything else too . I buy ProtectAll at Wal-Mart in the R.V. dept . It comes in a 16 fl. oz. spray bottle and costs about $9. Makes it nice to only have a bottle of this stuff & a few micro fiber rags with you .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why is it all bikes except Harleys come with this tank sticker ? I bought 2 new Harleys over the years, and have been in dealerships countless times, and none of them come with that stupid sticker !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
19011 said:
JayFL726 - have you used that on a windshield? I was unsure and did not want to risk it.
I just pulled the sticker off the windshield. The WD40 didn't hurt the windshield either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Belt sander works well. It 'might' scratch your paint, so beware. At least you won't have to mess with toxic chemicals like WD40 or Goo Gone. (Just being environmentally friendly.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I put the bike in a vice and start with the grinder. Then finish up as MonkeyMan mentions. YMMV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
17147 said:
I put the bike in a vice and start with the grinder. Then finish up as MonkeyMan mentions. YMMV
Use one of these and you won't need the vise

PS Glad you got it removed easily.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts