Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of us have experienced the wobble of the stock tires on grooved pavement. Well yesterday I was turning left onto a highway on ramp. I slowed to let a car coming the other way turn right on the same on-ramp. Instead of keeping in his right lane he swung into the left lane in front of me. This annoyed me a bit so I crossed to the right and went WOT. The on-ramp is grooved and with my rapidity and stock tires the FTR started to wobble into the beginning of a serious tank slapper. I eased off an it settled down. So be careful out there. Accelerating fast on grooves can unsettle the bike.

Rider
Tar snakes at a lean can be really clenching.
Especially good tire grip would only be worse in this situation.
Beware of those cheap road fixes where they just dripple hot tar in a half-assed effort to do a repair of the cracks.

Registered
Gripping the tank with your legs helps in situations like these, unsettling it is.

One of the rare situations where a steering damper may help btw...
What other reason do steering dampers exist?

My 'busa has a steering damper, because the Suzuki engineers determined that they could not provide the front end geometry for the responsiveness they wanted without the safety back-up of a steering damper.

My ZRX1200 did not come with a steering damper, but the geometry did not demand it. I did once get in a slight short-lived tank slapper, but it quickly corrected itself, showing that the geometry wasn't so quick that it was required.

Silver member
agreed, yep

(but you wouldn鈥檛 want to count the people that turn them all the way up to get rid of a wobble, which makes steering much heavier)

Registered
agreed, yep

(but you wouldn鈥檛 want to count the people that turn them all the way up to get rid of a wobble, which makes steering much heavier)
Yes, there are a lot of people out there that still need to learn...hopefully they get the education before the hurt themselves.

Bronze member
Yes, there are a lot of people out there that still need to learn...hopefully they get the education before the hurt themselves.
Lots of people add them as a band aid to shitting suspension settings. If it didn鈥檛 come with one stock, chances are it doesn鈥檛 need one.

That being said I would buy one for the ftr if they made it. Only because they look pretty. I generally kept them on the lowest setting on my previous bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts