Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The large chrome piece on top of the gas tank reflects a lot of glare into the windshield, which is annoying and quite a distraction. Dealer recommended having it powder coated as a permanent solution. I was thinking of covering it with a low profile tank bag on sunny days. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
There are many ideas on other post, use the search to find them.
For me painting chrome is a crime! At some point the sun is in your eyes, so I put on the sunglasses and just deal with the horror of riding my bike in the sun. :cool:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Im thinking of finding a tank bib to cover the chrome on sunny days. Remove it on not so sunny days. I love the chrome but yes it does create a vision issue. I havent found a bib that looks right, however i believe we have a few creative members on this forum that could make one! Any comments folks???

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was wondering if a tinted windshield would reduce or exacerbate the chrome reflection in the windshield? Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Founding member
705 Posts
The large chrome piece on top of the gas tank reflects a lot of glare into the windshield, which is annoying and quite a distraction. Dealer recommended having it powder coated as a permanent solution. I was thinking of covering it with a low profile tank bag on sunny days. Any thoughts?
There is a spray on coating called plasti dip that would work well and comes in lots of colors. And if you don't like it just peel it off. People paint their whole cars with this stuff. Here is a couple links and the one if for a translucent gray coating.
Plasti Dip Smoke Plasti Dip Interntional
Some one on these forums used it to make his Chieftain 2 tone and it looked good.

Tom

·
Registered
716 Posts
If anyone in the frozen north has one that I could use for a mold, I believe I could make a leather cover that could be taken on and off. The problem is getting a mold..

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
There are many ideas on other post, use the search to find them.
For me painting chrome is a crime! At some point the sun is in your eyes, so I put on the sunglasses and just deal with the horror of riding my bike in the sun. :cool:
Painting chrome is a crime if you had a bit of chrome on your bike back in the sixty's you spent your time making it stand out & gleaming now the whole thing gleams
CLACK,CLACK

·
Registered
456 Posts
You can just peel off the plasti dip at any time with no harm to the chrome. I would personally prefer to not have the reflection cause it is not safe to have that distraction when you need to be able to see what is on the road in front of you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm thinking of going the PlastiDip route on mine. For those of you who have done something...........how do you get to the fastener at the front of the chrome piece? Did you have to remove anything to get to it? Appreciate input.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Same here, I'm thinking that if I paint it black with the plasidip it'll blend right in with the red/black tank.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm thinking of going the PlastiDip route on mine. For those of you who have done something...........how do you get to the fastener at the front of the chrome piece? Did you have to remove anything to get to it? Appreciate input.
just use your allen wrench and loosen it . The chrome piece slips off ; no need to unscrew it all the way. Nothing to remove ; turn the wheel a little and slide your hand in.

·
Registered
456 Posts
just use your allen wrench and loosen it . The chrome piece slips off ; no need to unscrew it all the way. Nothing to remove ; turn the wheel a little and slide your hand in.
You will need to take the gas tank cap off also. I painted mine with the plasti dip and it looks great. It matches the texture on the bike frame and motor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I found the glare from the fuel tank chrome unacceptable. I tried the plasti dip and thought it would be hard to clean being rubbery and sort of porous so peeled it off and gave up on that idea. Then I bought a Klock Works reverse curve 12" windscreen and the problem was solved. There is still some glare but it's just a narrow band running across horizontally instead of the huge area affected with the stock screen. I can certainly live with this.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That glare was killing me as well. I'd have to drop my windshield all the way down so I could so. So I had my center console painted by Hollister Powersports Indian for about $100 with shipping. Couldn't be happier with the results. Cheaper than ordering one from Indian and looks amazing. I actually ended up liking it more than the chrome.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I had the same issue with my 14.. the chrome looks great but at the right angle it is blinding. I had plans to to either paint mine or I had seen where someone had actually had their leather wrapped and it looked awesome... Before I did anything the 17's came out and I traded her in so no more glare for me!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
I trained my pet pelican to poop on mine,,,, it's unbelievable how big a mound of gloop one mature male pelican can drop from above when the fishing season is in full swing,,,,

·
Registered
530 Posts
You can have it hydro dipped i did this one for a fellow forum member your choice in design is almost unlimited
20170212_164510.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts