Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the official Chief specs, our bikes have a 5.5 gallon capacity. I rode my bike yesterday until the light came on and the dash said "L of Fuel" and kept going until the needle was almost all the way on E. I assumed the light coming on meant I had about a gallon left, so I could still go 40 miles or so, which is why I kept going. Also, I assumed that since I kept going until E, that I had pretty much used up the tank, and therefore when I gassed up this morning ($2.99 for 91! What year is this???!!!), I assumed I would be putting in at least 5 gallons if not more.

However, my fill up stopped at 4.6 gallons and I couldn't really get any more in than that. So, does that mean the light comes on at about two gallons left and E means about one gallon left? So, E means it's switching over to reserve instead actually being empty?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took 4.0 gal. the other day when the display said "Low fuel". I like the cushion.
I agree. But, I'd also like to know exactly how much cushion I really have, especially if I'm on a long trip. When the light comes on, does that mean I've got 40 miles left, or 80 miles left? Because that's a big difference.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
I find it annoying that the "low fuel" message comes on when there is still a lot of fuel left in the tank. For that reason I use my trip meter to gauge my fuel status. Also, the "miles to empty" is obviously calculated from the current average fuel consumption, which can lead to problems. Let's say for example that you're riding down a mountain with miles and miles where you hardly use the accelerator. The bike will detect low fuel usage, and so "miles to empty" will be greater. If you then go up a long ascent up another mountain, fuel usage will dramatically increase. If you trusted the downhill "miles to empty" you could be in trouble.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
According to the official Chief specs, our bikes have a 5.5 gallon capacity. I rode my bike yesterday until the light came on and the dash said "L of Fuel" and kept going until the needle was almost all the way on E. I assumed the light coming on meant I had about a gallon left, so I could still go 40 miles or so, which is why I kept going. Also, I assumed that since I kept going until E, that I had pretty much used up the tank, and therefore when I gassed up this morning ($2.99 for 91! What year is this???!!!), I assumed I would be putting in at least 5 gallons if not more.

However, my fill up stopped at 4.6 gallons and I couldn't really get any more in than that. So, does that mean the light comes on at about two gallons left and E means about one gallon left? So, E means it's switching over to reserve instead actually being empty?
My father in law (now passed) always said this, costs the same to keep the top half filled as the bottom half. I usually fill mine before it gets to half full. I did however once let it get that low. Was coming home from the dealer about 70 miles away from home I did not want to find out how far I could go with the light on.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I find it annoying that the "low fuel" message comes on when there is still a lot of fuel left in the tank. For that reason I use my trip meter to gauge my fuel status. Also, the "miles to empty" is obviously calculated from the current average fuel consumption, which can lead to problems. Let's say for example that you're riding down a mountain with miles and miles where you hardly use the accelerator. The bike will detect low fuel usage, and so "miles to empty" will be greater. If you then go up a long ascent up another mountain, fuel usage will dramatically increase. If you trusted the downhill "miles to empty" you could be in trouble.
Bluey what are you getting a litre my best is about 13km to the litre???

·
3,414 Posts

I do wonder if the overall tank capacity is 5.5 but when you fill up to the bottom of the filler neck you are only getting 5 gallons in there. Dean E

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

Per the owners manual, when the light comes on you have approximately one gallon left. There's only one real way to find out :). The tank is supposed to hold 5.5 gallons as measured on the kickstand and full up to the bottom of the filler neck. There's no reserve on a fuel injected bike, it's just "deeper" than where the gauge measures. The gauge and idiot lights are notoriously inaccurate and vary from bike to bike.

Personally I try not to let it get that low, especially on long trips. Hills, wind, acceleration, passing, etc can change mileage quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Normally at about 150 miles I am ready to stop, add fuel, empty bladder, stretch the legs. I also ride with harley buddies who like stopping more often than me. Never been an issue

·
1,956 Posts
Bluey what are you getting a litre my best is about 13km to the litre???
When the bike was new I was getting about 19km to the litre. Then, after I removed the plugs from the exhaust pipes, I consistently get 21km. I must add this is mostly long distance riding... And virtually no city stop-start. It is also relatively low speed running - mostly 80 to 90kph. I live about 35km out of town, and get a good straight run whenever I go riding. I consciously avoid the city traffic and I am pretty easy on the throttle. I always ride solo (no pillion and no luggage).

I also noticed that when I did a long trip down to the Snowy Ride that my fuel consumption increased quite a bit. Sitting on 110-130kph it went down to 16km per litre.

What sort Of riding are you doing to get relatively low mileage?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I seem to be about 42 to 43 mpg in Florida with few hills. I have run with light on for 50 miles and still had over a half gal left. Not sure it is worth running out to see when I run into problems......

·
Registered
448 Posts
They can only stand being on a vibrator for so long!
Hmmm .... Obviously you haven't ridden the new Harley with the 103 engine. Shakes like a paint mixer at idle, but smooth at any speed off idle.

·
Registered
448 Posts

Since fuel injection bikes have notoriously used Early low fuel warnings to try and avoid running the tank dry. Its meant to get you to refuel early to avoid actually running out of gas which is not a fun situation on a fuel injected engine.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was on my way to Lake Mara which is near Salmon Arm in BC. I had never been before so I was unaware of the terrain. I was passing a big rig and noticed a sign that seemed important. I just caught the bottom corner of it and saw 120 Km until the next fuel stop. I looked down and saw that I had 91 miles showing on my range. No worries right? The next thing I know I'm climbing a huge effin mountain range!! I was just about to crest the top and my low fuel light illuminated. As I was coming down the mountain I could see quite a long ways into the distance an there was nothing but wilderness!! About 30 miles or so later the bike started to sputter and died. I gave it a good shake and off I went. Finally I saw a sign ahead that the next town was 5km. The bike sputtered and died a total of 6 times. Each time I shook it from side to side vigorously and it kept going until I finally saw a gas station. As I pulled up to the pump the bike stalled again. Wow was that close!! I filled up and converted the liters to gallons. 5.35 gallons. It seems the bike will start to sputter with about a half gallon still in the tank....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hmmm .... Obviously you haven't ridden the new Harley with the 103 engine. Shakes like a paint mixer at idle, but smooth at any speed off idle.
The Harley TC engine is still a crummy design. Hd just refuses to fix it!! When you build a good engine you always start with the crank. The TC crank is junk!! The rest just follows.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
When the bike was new I was getting about 19km to the litre. Then, after I removed the plugs from the exhaust pipes, I consistently get 21km. I must add this is mostly long distance riding... And virtually no city stop-start. It is also relatively low speed running - mostly 80 to 90kph. I live about 35km out of town, and get a good straight run whenever I go riding. I consciously avoid the city traffic and I am pretty easy on the throttle. I always ride solo (no pillion and no luggage).

I also noticed that when I did a long trip down to the Snowy Ride that my fuel consumption increased quite a bit. Sitting on 110-130kph it went down to 16km per litre.

What sort Of riding are you doing to get relatively low mileage?
I ride around town most of it is 80km I will recheck mine over the break if I was to get 19km I would be a happy man??

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I seem to be about 42 to 43 mpg in Florida with few hills. I have run with light on for 50 miles and still had over a half gal left. Not sure it is worth running out to see when I run into problems......
Agree not worth the problems. First key issue is fuel injection & 2nd pushing the bike. I can remember running out of gas or push starting my 350 Honda in high school. God help me if I had to push my Vintage

1 - 20 of 27 Posts