Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am 6'7" ride a 15 Chieftain and went out and bought the Indian tall windshield. The original oem was too small, but the tall windshield is absolutely ginormous in my opinion. Now I want to cut it down a bit for something in between too small and having its own gravitational pull. Does anyone have any tips or experience in doing this? I am thinking tape up the windshield, use the old original for shape and using a jig saw......Maybe 2 or 3 inches off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ok so I am 6'7" ride a 15 Chieftain and went out and bought the Indian tall windshield. The original oem was too small, but the tall windshield is absolutely ginormous in my opinion. Now I want to cut it down a bit for something in between too small and having its own gravitational pull. Does anyone have any tips or experience in doing this? I am thinking tape up the windshield, use the old original for shape and using a jig saw......Maybe 2 or 3 inches off.
You really have to be good and have a steady hand.
I have p
Try the Freedom Shield 18 inch.
Very sturdy, quality.
I have a 14 inch, I am 5’9” . Going to a 16 inch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have never cut down an Indian shield, but I have several others. I transferred the outline of the shield to an opened up cereal box. Trimmed the box to the exact shape I wanted, which allowed me to slide it up and down the windshield to the exact height I wanted. Taped it to the shield do I could measure and make sure it is"square", and then used a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to do the cutting. After the cut, a sanding wheel on the Dremel cleans up the burs and then a nice high grit sandpaper cleans up and buffs the edge.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I think you would have to be 6'10 plus to have the tall windshield fit like it should. My eyes are just above maybe right at the top of the windshield when it is all the way down. It does a good job keeping the wind off, but I find it distracting while riding. When it is up it feels like I am in a car behind the windshield. If someone wants to be completely behind the windshield this would be a good buy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I gave it the chop to 18.5" and it worked out good. I taped the windshield with masking tape on both sides got a string with a marker and made my mark on the tape then jigsaw and sanded. Worked better than I thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts